Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3.5 The Crucible of Flame - anyone have it?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:49 am 

Greetings,

For my home campaign I've got a val'Virdan who may pursue the Warrior of the Eternal Flame path. I can't find anything that details how one is tested in ARG. In the PGtA in the 3.5 days it references The Crucible of Flame. Does anyone have that that they can send me or is anyone aware of the opportunity to take the test in any mod 3.x or ARG?

Thanks.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 3.5 The Crucible of Flame - anyone have it?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:01 pm 

A party member did do 2 of the Pillars in LA. I can't remember where they were, though.
Anyone still have the old Certificate that lists them?

There is a third in the Citadel of Silence (I think).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:44 pm 

The Pillars are in: Grand Coryan, Hunder, Erduk, Khitan and ... Ymandragore (possibly profaned by the Finger known as the Order of Emerald Flame). They are currently listed in the 5e version of the Blessed Lands book.

I helped judge a PC run through the Crucible of Flame once. It was basically a mini mission that ran roughly an hour to an hour and a half long. I remember parts that involved:

(a) Arriving in Hunder and purifying oneself before the ordeal.
(b) boxed text and a last chance to opt out before entering the Pillar.
(c) the PC "wakes up" on the coast to discover that Yaricite priests are sacrificing the PCs armor and gear into the ocean for Yarris. PC has to confront them and stop them to save their fighting equipment either by argument or combat.
(d) PC wanders and encounters a rural village with problems threatening to cause them to loose faith. There are popular ring leaders that are inspiring doubts about the Gods. PC has challenge the status quo either through argument or attacking the "leaders"
(e) PC angers the village enough that they are mobbed an overwhelmed. They are tied to a stake and threatened with death by burning unless they admit they were wrong/recant their faith.
(f) there is some kind of roll at the end. PCs gain bonuses based on each "right" response they have. Pcs who make the TN then...
...(g)come out alive the other side of the pillar. And are Warriors of the Eternal Flame.

Akira is probably the person to PM about this. His PC was/is a WotEF.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:49 pm 

It should be noted that the Pillars each are supposed to test ONE different aspect of Nier with the implied result being that someone who has walked through all 5 pillars has been tested by something approaching the totality of Nier's being.

And hey, look at this. There FIVE tenants in the current edition for the WotEF Holy Champion Archetype at present. I would suggest that you theme each pillar after one of them. They are:

Architects of Change: Like the forest fire that clears the old brush so that saplings may grow, so too do we tear down the old and stagnant, so that a new society may rise. While Nierites are the agents of change, you are the ones who decide what institutions have grown stagnant and need a rebirth.
Dispassionate: While the fire within your heart grants strength, do not indulge it. A clear head will win the battle. Remember: A fiery heart tempered by a cool mind will always lead to victory.
Relentless: Like our Lord’s flame, you are relentless and single-minded in the pursuit of your objective.
Courage: There is nothing that Lord Nier admires more than courage. Conquer your fear and let it give you strength.
Savagery of War: War is an ugly, brutish thing. Do not attempt to make it a game. Show those that participate the true, savage face of our Lord, so that they might think twice before sounding the trumpets of battle.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:45 pm 

Thanks for the info. Definitely helpful. Someone else has already sent me the Riddle of Flames, though interestingly Loyalty was one of the tenets at the time rather than the 5 you listed below. At a minimum it provides a framework for how to think about the tests now combined with the list Eric provided.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:06 am 

:facepalm:
The Path and Talents are in the Blessed Lands sourcebook.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:26 am 

I would love to see this module, or more like it, as additional materials for a two-round short story I am running for the Nierite in our home campaign.

For that matter, I would invite anyone with thoughts on how to represent what it would be like to serve in the army that Leonydas, the Sword of the Heavens, amassed and marched on the Nerothian necropoli, Ashvan and into the Blessed Lands.

My home campaign takes place just after Leonydas has returned and our party Nierite is one of many answering his call. He is approaching Erduk from Sicaris and the first game session should introduce him to the Swords of Nier first, his squad, his army, possibly Leonydas himself, and have the Nierite decide which path he will take . . . all the way to the Citadel of Silence or the route of Eremis val'Virdan (loyalty vs. morality?)

Or something else, entirely.

The other players are running NPC characters of 10th level that join him, all of which will be of varying flavors of Nierite loyalist. It'll be great fun and I have way too much material already, but I'd hate to have missed some gem of information or idea from all of you and would like to harvest your suggestions for story beats to highlight here.

I've got a document where I am capturing the high level story points, but need to firm it up a bit before I run the game on Monday. I don't THINK any of my players come here (it's my dirty little secret to make me look smarter than I am) so I'll post it here.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1noa ... HUOU/edit#

Anyone that has something to suggest, I would welcome your response either here or directly at joe.ipsen@gmail.com.

Offline Profile