Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: teaching a group of new Arcanis players?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:23 pm 

In a few weeks, I'll be starting a new Arcanis group. It will be my first time GMing Arcanis (and my first time GMing anything in quite a while). I think every one of the 5 players is new to Arcanis (though most, if not all, have significant RPG experience).

Any advice on running Arcanis?

Any advice on teaching a group how to play Arcanis (and making it fun)?

My current "plan" is to give an overview of the system, field any questions anyone has, and then dive in with the fast play intro module (Something's Rotten in the State of Ostermark). I've been encouraging the players to use pre-gens for at least the first session and then come up with their own characters once they understand the system better.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: teaching a group of new Arcanis players?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:23 pm 

That sounds like a good plan, the only thing is at drive thru rpg, they can down load the old codex arcanis for free....

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/5 ... ex-Arcanis

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:32 pm 

drafit wrote:
That sounds like a good plan, the only thing is at drive thru rpg, they can down load the old codex arcanis for free....

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/5 ... ex-Arcanis

Thanks. I'll point them to it there. I knew it was free on the old PCI site but had been unable to find it on the new PCI site (I didn't know it was also free on DriveThru).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:12 am 

When introducing new players to Arcanis I do a 5-7 minute overview of the world. First I explain that the world is loosely based on the fall of Rome and that conflicts are more political than good vs evil (ie. more like Game of Thrones than Tolkien) second I outline the broadest strokes of history (land mostly stays the same, empires rise and fall), then political geography (Coryan and the successor states), then the gods w/out alignment and finally how the races fit into the world.

Then I do mechanics. The key thing to realize in this system (i think) is that your character is going to made up of skills and talents. It pretty much all comes down to one and the other. Most of your choices either directly adjust one ... or have down the road impacts on future access. The Golden Rule is you need 3 ranks in a combat skill at creation and to be able to raise them by 3 ranks each teir to be effective in a fight.

Then from player concepts I help them either build a character (the long way) or I give them a pregen (the short way).

Most gamers get an attack roll even if its 2d10 plus an attribute die rather than a d20. Explaining the clock is a little harder but most people get it quickly. Finally I talk about recovery strain and combining maneuvers and/or spells.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:42 am 

I also usually do a 5-10 minute overview of the world, the gods (how they each usually have a light and dark aspect), the races, and factions/societies.

val Holryn wrote:
The Golden Rule is you need 3 ranks in a combat skill at creation and to be able to raise them by 3 ranks each teir to be effective in a fight.

I would definitely NOT say this to a new player, nor would I back up this claim in practice. This is very hard to do for Experts (if not impossible) and Arcane characters. [/quote]

That said, the one thing that really had people intrigued when I started was the 'you can build the character you want, in the way you want." Talking about a fighter/caster, it can be built based upon an Arcane archetype and add in combat, or a Martial Archetype and add on casting.

I've found the clock is one of the cooler things people mention about the game. Once everyone understands you first take your action than advance your clock the speed, it goes pretty smoothly. The big problem area seems to be when does Strain/Recovery begin to tick down and some people think they can't do anything during that time and some were counting down Strain/Recovery with their Speed.

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:08 pm 

As far as the "Golden Rule" goes perhaps I should say "attack" skill instead of combat skill. Arcanum counts just as much as melee balanced. And maybe I could say guideline rather than rule. If you're a point behind at creation but you are going to take a path down the line that grants a ranks that's fine too (or starting out with 2 ranks but having WM 1 or Wolf Pack Tactics).

But the 2d10 + Attribute die system in Arcanis creates a bell curve of probability so falling behind really hurts. In D&D/d20 system if you have a -4 penalty to hit then your chance to hit goes down 20%. I haven't fully crunched the numbers, but if you are -4 behind the "curve" in A:RPG, then you are almost never hitting. In my experience ineffectual characters aren't usually fun to play in heroic fantasy games...

As an aside I'll note that it took me three serious tries to make an arcanis character I really liked and was satisfied with in concept and play. The first one was too slow in combat and I was bored waiting for my turn(s) to come up on the clock...I learned that for me personally I need go every 5 ticks (or thereabouts) or I get antsy waiting for my turn ... no idea if that's just me or if that reflects something many players experience. The second character was a divine archetype named Ryzard and he was cool at creation, but I had envisioned a warrior priest and I realized at higher tiers he wasn't going to be able to hit anyone with his sword (now with the warrior priest talent what I was envisioning might be possible). Finally my third character was Eisener who was my primary through the crusade. Now I do a rough skill/talent analysis at creation to make sure I end up where I want to be.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:47 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
But the 2d10 + Attribute die system in Arcanis creates a bell curve of probability so falling behind really hurts. In D&D/d20 system if you have a -4 penalty to hit then your chance to hit goes down 20%. I haven't fully crunched the numbers, but if you are -4 behind the "curve" in A:RPG, then you are almost never hitting. In my experience ineffectual characters aren't usually fun to play in heroic fantasy games...

As an aside I'll note that it took me three serious tries to make an arcanis character I really liked and was satisfied with in concept and play. The first one was too slow in combat and I was bored waiting for my turn(s) to come up on the clock...I learned that for me personally I need go every 5 ticks (or thereabouts) or I get antsy waiting for my turn ... no idea if that's just me or if that reflects something many players experience.

I did crunch the numbers. And a -4 from the Mean equates to a roughly 37% (going from memory, so give or take 2%) drop is hits on a median avoidance.

Also, I know of multiple players who did the same thing regarding big, heavy weapons. Waiting for your turn to come back up was just too boring for them when players like me who use a speed 3 weapon would go two or even 3 times (after combat maneuvers were factored in) in that span. They, have rebuilt their PCs not because the big weapons weren't doing those big hits that they wanted, but because the waiting was a problem for them.

Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:59 pm 

As a wielder of a 'big weapon,' I can fully appreciate the complaints about that. I am also already noticing at 2.2 I am already starting to notice myself falling behind the attack curve. I can only gain 2 in my melee skill/tier as a Divine (3 in a path or two) so I soon will be significantly less effective than I used to be which could be eventually a problem.

That said, if the "hard-core" rules come into play at more than just the BI's, than the people wielding the "Big Guns" become WAY more powerful and 'fun' to play. Even though small weapons like daggers can move every 3 ticks, they can only do an average of 7-10 points of damage a hit, which means they won't deal wounds unless you get a minimum of a single explosion, and only then if they're not wearing much armour. This as opposed to a Flamberge which can dish out about 10-13 points of damage on average, putting you much closer into 'wound' territory.

Of course, this also applies for Heroes, which brings AR back into the importance (all too many Heroes I've seen were moving to light armours to avoid Bulk and the Avoidance hits.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:35 pm 

I started my group on Arcanis in much the same way, it worked out great!

I would recommend downloading and printing out some of the action dials floating around. I printed them on heavy cardstock, and used a brad to keep them together when they spun, the players understood the clock system in about 15 seconds once they got to see it in practice and had their own dial (including one who could never really grasp the initiative system in 3.5 D&D).

Once the test adventure was completed, my group was super excited to play the system from there on out. Good luck!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:36 pm 

Garos wrote:
(including one who could never really grasp the initiative system in 3.5 D&D).

It's kinda sad... Been so long since I've played anything 3/3.5 that I've forgotten the init system.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page 1, 2  Next