Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Starting a new home campaign
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:14 pm 

So my Sunday night group will have an opening in a few months for a new game in the rotation. I've decided to throw an Arcanis game into the mix. System will be ARG, time and storyline will be Coryani Civil War, starting at least in part with the Year of Ill Harvest or at least pieces of it. My intent is to interweave the stories of the original campaign arc in and through the stories I tell with the players. I will be curious to see what threads and plots resonate, where things start deviating from cannon, etc.

What I'm leaning to at the moment is to limit the characters to start from the Coryani Empire to help the story resonate or at least give it its greatest opportunity to. Throw out some possible foci / subplot options - Sanctorum, secret societies such as Emerald Society, etc. to help tie them together.

I'll be creating some new options to play with such as talents / mechanics to over time to improve casting with Subtlety, a fighting style for the legions, possibly others.

If the game's approved, we'll do character generation soon and then I'll have a few months to prep the game with the specific set of characters in mind. If people are interested I'll share experiences here as we go. Happy to get feedback and suggestions as well.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Starting a new home campaign
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:30 am 

I didn't get to play in it, but a friend of mine ran a home game years back (during the 3.0 D&D days) where the players were basically apprentices. They knew they wanted to be wizards/fighters/clerics etc, but they had to basically work to find people who were willing to take them on and train them. He had a funny story about this player who wanted to have his wizard become an Evocationist, but the only mage he could find who was willing to take him on as an apprentice was a gnomish Illusionist...apparently the player was unimpressed, but the gnome was really excited at the prospect of taking on an apprentice.

Not sure how you want to do character creation, but perhaps start your game with your players going through Legionnaire training, have them spend some time fighting in the Legions and then they gain the Former Legionnaire background? You could start them with a maximum of 1 rank in a range of skills, and then grant further skills/talents as they go, up to the character creation max of 4...character creation meets RP :)

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:28 pm 

Start them in the middle of the Abession revolt.

When we did that game originally, we had a brand new player; from that legion; who suddenly found her legion destroyed in her first game.
The GM and other players did not contribute to her choice of legion either! :o

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:06 pm 

How about with Master Elebac? Bargains of the Spirit & Flesh does not require PCs to belong to any particular faction. But introduces them to a major NPC and then dumps them in the middle of the attack on Ventaka by the Sword of Heaven's armies.

That still remains one of my all time favorite more & I always wonder what would have happened to the campaign if Elebac had become undead...

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile