Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Can you help me understand the setting better?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:40 pm 

Alright, so another question. Let's assume I was interested in trying to get into online play, what sort of assumptions are made about character builds, backstories, or motivations? One idea I had been bandying about was a priest of Hurian and former Royal Marine who was ordered to sink a Harvester ship (with lightning and fate points!) his commander couldn't catch, figuring death was a kinder fate for the children on board, but he was so racked by guilt he deserted and is looking for a way to redeem himself. Would something like that work, or am I still thinking like a pathfinder player?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:59 pm 

Lorebane wrote:
Alright, so another question. Let's assume I was interested in trying to get into online play, what sort of assumptions are made about character builds, backstories, or motivations? One idea I had been bandying about was a priest of Hurrian and former Royal Marine who was ordered to sink a Harvester ship (with lightning and fate points!) his commander couldn't catch, figuring death was a kinder fate for the children on board, but he was so racked by guilt he deserted and is looking for a way to redeem himself. Would something like that work, or am I still thinking like a pathfinder player?

I don't see any issues with that back-story. Being ordered to sink a Harvester ship is effectively a suicide mission, so deserting or killing your commander would be a reasonable response!

Mechanically:
Step 2. Archetype: any
Step 5. Nation: Milandir
Step 6. Background: Former Royal Marine
Step 8. possible Flaws: Disgraced (if Val), Marked Man (Milandir) from Codex of Heroes

Deserter could be shoved into a home game, but needs to be a Coryani Legionnaire for CSE (Chronicles of the Shattered Empires) play.

I would suggest starting a thread in Player Commons if you need mechanical help with the character.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:20 pm 

I had been thinking that (by using fate points), he was able to sink the ship with lightning bolts (figuring divine archtype and royal marine background) and couldn't take the guilt (as it had been loaded with stolen children). It sounds like I may be underestimating harvester ships?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:28 pm 

The Black Ships of Ymandragore are made of obsidian stone, the oars pulled by bound Infernals, the sails powered by arcane magic and crewed by some of the most powerful spellcasters outside of the Elorii nations...

Killing the cargo (children) is the easy part. Remember, no alignment in CSE, but "Decisions have Consequences".

Last edited by Southernskies on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:30 pm 

Lorebane wrote:
I had been thinking that (by using fate points), he was able to sink the ship with lightning bolts (figuring divine archtype and royal marine background) and couldn't take the guilt (as it had been loaded with stolen children). It sounds like I may be underestimating harvester ships?

I'm late to this thread, but welcome to the forums!

It is highly unlikely that a single Priest of Hurrian would be able to sink one of the Black Ships, regardless of Fate. You could certainly tweak the backstory a little though. Maybe the children were on a smaller boat being ferried to the main Ymandragoran ship? Something like a skiff or rowboat would be a much easier target.

The general idea is a cool one, I think you can make the backstory work with some minor tweaks. Keep the questions coming :)

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:59 pm 

Ymandragore's fleet comes in different sizes.

The juggernauts of their fleet are essentially indestructible. Milandir fights them by boarding and turning the Royal Marines loose. A juggernaut essentially can't be sunk.

But there are a variety of "lesser" vessels. One of those modeled on a cog or caravel might be sinkable with a lucky hit.

I think your core idea is viable.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:57 am 

Alright, cool, I could make that work, though I have another question related to a different character idea. How easy is it for a priest to change their deity? For example, I was also thinking about a priest of Neroth of the Dark Triumvirate who generally agrees with their stance on the necessity of suffering, and that human beings must endure trials and pains as their duty, but started to feel that most people were suffering only because of their fear of the church, and not out of a sense of duty to the gods, and eventually decided that Anshar's beliefs on suffering and burdens were more in line with his own beliefs.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:07 am 

The short answer is 'no'. This was discussed at length here, if you'd like a more in-depth answer.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:05 am 

You could do that just in backstory (though your backstory would be unofficial). Just create a priest of Anshar and say he used to be a priest of Neroth. This would not be strictly living campaign legal but being from Canceri is also not campaign legal (and, as far as I know, nobody outside Canceri reveres the Dark Triumvirate).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:43 am 

No Canceri characters, huh? That's too bad. Seems like there could be a lot of potential depth there.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next