Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A few question from a (possibly) new GM
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:59 am 

So I've had this game in my library for a while, but I've done very little with it, and want to revisit it. I'm hoping I can find a group of my friends to start a game with, but before I do, I was wondering if people could help my with a few of the finer points.

Before we start, though, I've been GMing for quite some time, but mostly D&D, Pathfinder, and Shadowrun. I like a lot of what I see in Arcanis's system, especially martial maneuvers, the way spellcasting works, and how a character's background figures mechanically into character creation.

As far as my familiarity with the world, though, it's scant. I've got the core rulebook, the 3.5 setting book (it seemed to be better organized from a lore oriented standpoint) and the bestiary. I'm living in China and have no easy way to replenish my bank account (country runs on cash), so those three books are pretty much what I will have to work with. That being in mind, I would love to pick the community's brain on the following.

What would you say the major cultural analogues are to cultures in Arcanis? Coryan, the Abessian Dominion, and the Hinterlands are glaringly obvious, but the rest seem like they're a little more unique. The suggestions for names seem like a starting point, but only just, because they seem to have a lot mixed in there. I would especially like to try and understand Khitani and the Kio better, and I'd like to see if I can understand Milandir beyond "medieval Germany."

If I where starting a new campaign, with new players who knew nothing about the setting, what would be a good starting point? I was thinking of just focusing on either Coryan or Milandir, the latter because it seems like it would be the most familiar to people used to cookie cutter high fantasy, and the former because just telling them "it's basically Rome" gives them a place to start, and because there seems to be enough diversity within its provinces to explore some more elements of the world. I had also been batting around the idea of doing something in the Blessed Lands because it seems to draw people from everywhere, but I think I might be biting off more than I could chew in that instance.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: A few question from a (possibly) new GM
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:41 am 

Milandir can also be seen as: the rising rival to Coryan. Milandir can also be seen as fortress Germany which, like clockwork, gets into a deadly war every generation. First Canceri, then the Hinterlands, a dynastic civil war, Cancerii again, Menisis' invasion of Morotavia & two rounds of Crusades against internals of the far north. Milandir survives as much by the fact everyone over 14 is essentially in the strategic reserve and can tote a halberd and fire a crossbow as anything else. I maintain at least some of Milandesian internal honor decency and justice is just that there is a social contract between the heavily armed nobles and the surprisingly well armed peasants to all shoot outward at their external enemies.

Altheria is what you get if the Renaissance takes place in Western Africa with monstrous snakemen as neighbors. Only nation with meaningful elected national leaders. This Council of Wisdom apparently produces neither global leaders who stride the world stage nor disastrous tyrants & weak fools who lead the country to ruin.

No one understands the Kio. I vague!y think of them as quasi-Aryan/anime samurai with vaguely Welsh naming conventions. And they like birds. And they are also sort of the "other graceful elflike race" in Arcanis. But man, do they make some great swords!

Personally I would recommend starting the action in Almeric, because anarchy between city states is what adventures call job security. Build bigger plots out of the people they meet and fight there. You could also use the (free) Legends mods to run a crusade based arc.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:58 am 

Alright, thanks for the advice! Is there anywhere in the world that would have a saxon/viking feel to it? Like early-Christian British Isles?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:03 am 

The Skohir are a close analogue to the Vikings. They are a race of large seafaring humans, blonde haired blue eyed warriors who settled along the coast in the Hinterlands. There hasn't been a ton written about them, but if you go through the old Codex Arcanis there are a few tidbits.

It seems that we can also infer that they are mildly xenophobic, seeing as they have lived for generations among the various Yhing Hir tribes (similar to the peoples of the Mongolian Steppes) seemingly without interbreeding.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:38 pm 

Hello,

Welcome to the game and the world of Arcanis.

As you can see, your fellow players are very friendly and helpful - something I have always been very proud of. There are none better (IMO) than the Arcanis community.

I believe Eric and Akira have answered your questions, but should you have any further ones, please feel free to ask.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:02 am 

I looked into the Skohir a little, but they seem a bit two-dimensional. I think that there are elements in the Kio and Mildanir that are closer to what I'm looking for. I am choosing to look at the Kio as a cross between elves and early Nordic cultures, planted in a lusher region of the globe.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:21 am 

Lorebane wrote:
I looked into the Skohir a little, but they seem a bit two-dimensional. I think that there are elements in the Kio and Mildanir that are closer to what I'm looking for. I am choosing to look at the Kio as a cross between elves and early Nordic cultures, planted in a lusher region of the globe.

They may seem two dimensional; but that is likely just due to a lack of having done significant development around them. That may change in the near future.

Offline Profile