Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Challenging Characters at Tier 3 and beyond...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:45 am 

The only fix I can think of to the Wound issue, is to cut/paste one of the effects from the Stabilize spell (FAQ/Errata pg.27) into all other spells that heal Wounds.

Quote:
Once the scene is over, the target hero is Exhausted until they receive 6 hours of uninterrupted rest.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:45 am 

I'm pretty sure there is a Cant that gets rid of exhaustion 1/day. Also if you are a psion you've probably been able to heal your own wounds since late in Teir 2. I think if the game needs "a fix" you need to do more than tweak one spell.

Tukufu is not remotely the toughest guy out there. But like Wolverine of the X-Men, if he's still alive after a fight and has "5 minutes" to hang out...he's healed.

I think it would be better if module writers just did away with lows stake "obligatory thug encounters" type fights and instead had one or two high stake battles that the PCs could (at least theoretically) loose. Actually I think most mods are already like this.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:16 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
I think it would be better if module writers just did away with lows stake "obligatory thug encounters" type fights and instead had one or two high stake battles that the PCs could (at least theoretically) loose. Actually I think most mods are already like this.

The other option (which I personally prefer) is to write encounters in such a way that the thug fights are not 'obligatory'. If the Heroes get into a tense situation, give them a chance to avoid/defuse the situation entirely. If they want to just smash their way through everything that is fine, but there should usually be an alternative.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:14 pm 

Hello,

acurrier wrote:
The other option (which I personally prefer) is to write encounters in such a way that the thug fights are not 'obligatory'.

Thug fights?

I've asked (and as far as I know the Staff has agreed and policed for it) that there not be any "thug" fights.

To be sure that we have our terms aligned, a Thug Fight to me is one meant to (a) pad the adventure to fill up the full 4 hour slot or (b) meant to drain resources. In both cases, the fight has nothing to do with the actual story.

If you mean something else, then...Never Mind...

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:33 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
To be sure that we have our terms aligned, a Thug Fight to me is one meant to (a) pad the adventure to fill up the full 4 hour slot or (b) meant to drain resources. In both cases, the fight has nothing to do with the actual story.

Yes, I would agree with your definition. I wouldn't say that 'thug fights' are as common in Arcanis as they have been in other campaigns, but I think it would be difficult to argue that every combat in every module is integral to the plot of the module. Every now and then you run into bandits, or someone tries to rob you.

Heck, without going into specifics as this isn't in the spoilers thread, I would classify the first combat in Thief in the Library as a 'thug fight'. I am not using 'thug fight' as a pejorative. I think there is a time and a place for them.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:49 pm 

I like the idea of something like a trap applying a temporary flaw. I was also wondering if it would be viable to borrow a page from Shadowrun and house ruling that, rather than limiting the daily casts of a spell, saying that any given individual can only benefit from magical healing of wounds once per day.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:45 am 

Lorebane wrote:
I like the idea of something like a trap applying a temporary flaw. I was also wondering if it would be viable to borrow a page from Shadowrun and house ruling that, rather than limiting the daily casts of a spell, saying that any given individual can only benefit from magical healing of wounds once per day.

^^ this is how traps should be in Arcanis, Brilliant!

an Acid trap that reduces your max stamina, or creates a negative to a defense that dissipates in X hours. An arrow trap that makes you Lame, or a poison spray that makes you blind.

you could even extend this idea to wounds, tho it would get pretty silly if you gave it out for every wound (not to mention taking up more time)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:49 am 

Lorebane wrote:

I believe the rule in Shadowrun is (or at least was prior to SR5) that you can only use magical healing (and non-magical healing) once per set of wounds (each). The ridiculous part with the SR rules is (or at least was) that you had to do them in a particular order (either magic before mundane or vice-versa (I don't remember which offhand)) or you lost your chance to do the other type.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:14 am 

Its Mundane before Magic in Shadowrun.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:27 am 

I would like to point out that unlike D&D, tier 3.6 ARPG characters don't have access to a lot of powerful work around spells like an 11th level D&D heroes. Fly, Legend Lore, Wall of Stone, Disintegrate, Polymorph, Stone Shaph, and True Seeing (although invis isn't a thing in ARPG) just to name a few. Very few ARPG spells give you access to the Batman Utility Belt style magic, both in power and number of spells. With mods being written for both systems, this needs to be taken into account when presenting challenges.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next