Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Scott's 5e Arcanis Chronicle
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:58 pm 

I think you might be overdoing it. If the plan is to build a demo game, you don't need to build whole classes and races. Just reskin what is available in the core rules and use a "looks good enough" build.

Henry's original RPGA con game "For duty and honor" in 2000 only used core d&d3 rules in the sheets. Players generally don't want to think about new rules for a system they may already know.

I dont have d&d5, so am not sure how your mods would affect base classes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:25 pm 

Basically, each class has subclasses that differentiate various ways of playing the class. For example, rogue has thief, assassin, and caster archetypes. Each class has base competencies, then the archetype helps specialize.

Overall, the changes I'm making to classes and races don't add much extra complexity because I'm not introducing any new concepts. These are existing rules used in a new way, and each character will only have a couple new items each.

5e is very hackable, and this is an exercise in design for myself as much as it's material for an Arcanis game. The Arcanis angle is just my excuse for doing something I wanted to anyways.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:49 am 

The Centurion has been completely overhauled and updated. I asked for help on another forum, and someone pointed out that it sounded like I wanted a Battle Master with more Charisma - so that's what we have here.

Links are now being placed on the initial post instead of making people dig through the thread.

For people who are unfamiliar with 5e, it has a Background/Class/Archetype system that somewhat mirrors the Background/Archetype/Path system of Arcanis (though with more rigidity). To be a legionnaire, you pick the Legionnaire background. Then you pick a class to represent your combat abilities. Then your archetype represents your specialty.

For example, if you want to play a commander type, you choose Fighter with the Centurion archetype. If you just wanted to be a line soldier, you could instead play a Champion or Battle Master archetype. A Battle Mage could be represented by the Eldritch Knight archetype, or even a Wizard specialized in the Evocation School.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:18 am 

Just wanted to let people know I haven't given up on this project or anything! I'm moving next week, so my free time is occupied with packing and cleaning unfortunately. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be able to pick it back up again.

In the meantime, if there's anything you're interested in seeing converted that hasn't been mentioned already, feel free to ask.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:40 pm 

Southernskies wrote:

Henry's original RPGA con game "For duty and honor" in 2000 only used core d&d3 rules in the sheets. Players generally don't want to think about new rules for a system they may already know.

does anyone know which of the con games were written in D&D3rd rules?.. and then obviously re-written for the d20 system.. been trying to collect the different versions of the con games..

Brette:)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:10 pm 

"For Duty and Honour" is the only 'con only' D&D3 demo adventure that I remember. Everything after that was under the "Living Arcanis" banner.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:26 pm 

Ah I did realize there was one before LA (dam it)..

What I prob meant to say is.. I have the first year of LA .. LA-HP 1-01 to 1-06 and LA-SP 1-01 to 1-05 in slightly different versions.. one has D&D on the front other other has D20.. hmm.. on reading the seem to be almost exactly the same, some experience difference I see and copyright dates.. so both d20 versions but slightly different formats.. hmm..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:21 pm 

The difference is probably cosmetic due to the d20 OGL introduction. The first couple of adventures published through RPGA were pre-OGL.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:02 pm 

Yes, they both have the OGL, but the d20 version has a bit more info (regarding 3rd party copyrights).. Guess I'll sit and look at the holes in the collection now;)

Thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:07 pm 

Hello Brett,

The Year Two adventures are available in PDF format here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/63909/Yea ... =1726_4076

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next