Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Writing convention scenarios
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:51 pm 

Yes, I schmoozed my way into a Tir Betoqi stone chair :) I enjoyed that mod *because* it made my dark-kin feel like a dark-kin. Sure, I sat around for about 45 minutes with little to do, but that was fine. Now, had the entire adventure been that way, my opinion may have been different, but as it was, it was both realistic and fair to the players.

Now, I am generally opposed to a lot of adventures which would say "This character race | archetype | nation shouldn't play this mod" because a lot of play opportunities are at conventions where I've paid money to play. If this is used in the future by the campaign, it should be used fairly across the board.

I knew going into the Crusade arc playing a dark-kin would be difficult and I would be greeted with derision at best and hostility at worst. I did believe in the unspoken covenant with the campaign staff and authors though that I also didn't expect that an adventure would outright kill my character. I think that's an important understanding, that while choices have consequences, those shouldn't be 'death to your character for playing a mod'.

====

On the issue of STARTING OUT, I really prefer adventures that offer multiple motivations (money, duty, debt or love of adventure) as opposed to "You're all in a bar and are now supposed to care about this NPC". It's not easy and I speak as someone who hasn't written an Arcanis campaign module (but has started many home campaigns with disparate characters).

In the extreme, money is always a good motivator.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Writing convention scenarios
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:17 am 

I think that it is easier for campaigns that are focused on one area to integrate players rather than independent adventures: a characters motivation is likely to be fairly constant and once they are into the adventure they are unlikely to need to suddenly leave. By this I mean that they don't need fresh motivation and justification for meeting up with strangers with differing agendas: In the campaign everyone was out to stick with the crusade for whatever reason they may have contrived which binds them together rather than save this puppy, bring the king his wine, go kill the wolves unlinked style adventures.
I don't feel this has been expressed very well but I hope you get the gist of what I'm getting at.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5