Last visit was: It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:52 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Just now getting into the Arcanis setting and I need help
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:33 pm 

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:22 pm
Posts: 4
Ok so I've got a copy of "The World of Shattered Empires" (PCI 1600, the one based directly off the d20 setting) and I'm really hurting for one specific thing to help me along. I need a map of the content that Arcanis takes place on, preferably something labeled and in a higher resolution than 687x723, which is so far the only one I can find. Also if someone's got a PDF of the core book so I can disseminate the rules, background, character creation stuff and such to my players slightly easier I would very much appreciate it as I've only got the one physical copy of the book.
That's pretty much it, any advice you can give me for the specific setting and gameplay as compared to something like 5e would also be appreciated, thanks for taking the time.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just now getting into the Arcanis setting and I need hel
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:23 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:06 am
Posts: 1838
Location: Portland OR
The map does exist as a separate pdf. I no longer have it (i’ve Upgraded...). It might be out there to google.... onstage map or Arcanis map.

An updated map is available in the 5e campaign setting book.

Good luck!

_________________
Eric Gorman

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just now getting into the Arcanis setting and I need hel
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:13 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:08 am
Posts: 1295
Hello,

thegreekgamer wrote:
. Also if someone's got a PDF of the core book so I can disseminate the rules, background, character creation stuff and such to my players slightly easier I would very much appreciate it as I've only got the one physical copy of the book.


Welcome to Arcanis.

The map you're looking for is in the Core book you mention you have.

As for asking for a PDF of it, that's considered IP piracy. We're a very small company and every copy we aren't able to sell, either electronic or physical hurts us. Enough of that and it could run us out of business.

Please don't ask others to share these PDFs.

Thank you.

_________________
Best,

Henry Lopez
President
PCI


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just now getting into the Arcanis setting and I need hel
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:31 am 

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:22 pm
Posts: 4
Quote:
The map you're looking for is in the Core book you mention you have.


No it isn't, I've seen every single one of the pages of this 446 page book and there is no map in it, you might be thinking of the 5e adaptation, which this is not, or of the Codex Arcanis, which was originally offered for free but isn't any longer, and isn't exactly laid out in the most cohesive way possible, besides I've already got a map from your website its just very low resolution and it'd be nice to have one that I can actually read.

Quote:
As for asking for a PDF of it, that's considered IP piracy. We're a very small company and every copy we aren't able to sell, either electronic or physical hurts us. Enough of that and it could run us out of business.


Well if you guys are still making a profit off of a book that is 7 years old and it's not OOP then I'd be more than willing to purchase more copies and use that or the official pdf instead, I'm not trying to ruin your company, just make it easier for my players to get the rules etc. so they don't need to share a single book the whole time.


Last edited by thegreekgamer on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just now getting into the Arcanis setting and I need hel
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:27 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:06 am
Posts: 1838
Location: Portland OR
I took a quick look, if you google Arcanis Map there are a number of entries. Way back in the day the map was a physical thing/insert in the back of the book. Not sure if:how that got translated into the PDF you have. For anything else Driverhrurpg has a lot of cheap 3rd edition Arcanis stuff your players could get. If they want more conscience send them there.

The number one thing for me about the setting is that there are no “Gandalf” or “Elrond” figures (Elminster, King Arthur...) wearing white hats for everyone to rally around. All the leaders and rulers are essentially politicians of some stripe, with baggage and flaws. At the same time there are definately some genuine Black Hats out there in the setting. (Manetas, Uhxbractit, the Silence...) Figuring out What coalition you want to belong to (or build) is often a big part of an Arcanis campaign. The old Living Campaign in 3rd edition let players chose for their characters to be on both sides of the Coryani civil war. A remarkable achievement.

Your players, unless they are mercenaries content to be the tools of others, should spend some of their time worrying about which plots originate from Truest dark cabals ... and which are just the result of political maneuvering (perhaps irrelevant outside of what it means for your allies).

Good luck

_________________
Eric Gorman

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just now getting into the Arcanis setting and I need hel
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:54 am 

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:22 pm
Posts: 4
val Holryn wrote:
I took a quick look, if you google Arcanis Map there are a number of entries. Way back in the day the map was a physical thing/insert in the back of the book. Not sure if:how that got translated into the PDF you have. For anything else Driverhrurpg has a lot of cheap 3rd edition Arcanis stuff your players could get. If they want more conscience send them there.


This is true, it would just be nice if it was actually possible to read the fine detail, I'd buy the drivethru stuff but I don't want to end up spending like $15-$50 buying the same poor quality map that I could just get for free.

Quote:
The number one thing for me about the setting is that there are no “Gandalf” or “Elrond” figures (Elminster, King Arthur...) wearing white hats for everyone to rally around. All the leaders and rulers are essentially politicians of some stripe, with baggage and flaws. At the same time there are definately some genuine Black Hats out there in the setting. (Manetas, Uhxbractit, the Silence...) Figuring out What coalition you want to belong to (or build) is often a big part of an Arcanis campaign. The old Living Campaign in 3rd edition let players chose for their characters to be on both sides of the Coryani civil war. A remarkable achievement.


Thank you! Those are some of the reasons a friend and I are really into this setting, unfortunately I can't actually tell what edition I have, how would I do that? All it says is Arcanis The Roleplaying Game.

Quote:
Your players, unless they are mercenaries content to be the tools of others, should spend some of their time worrying about which plots originate from Truest dark cabals ... and which are just the result of political maneuvering (perhaps irrelevant outside of what it means for your allies).


I've actually got something like that already planned out thinking about starting them off on a mission to discover the fate of a missing cohort of Coryani Legionaries, and possibly lead to an all out war with the Ssethregoran Empire possibly based on a treachery perpetrated by a bitter Canceri. Not sure how well it'll work out cause it's still in the planning stage but I think it's a solid concept.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just now getting into the Arcanis setting and I need hel
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:36 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:08 am
Posts: 1295
Hello,

There are three editions of Arcanis: the d20 version (OOP), the Arcanis the Role Playing Game, which you have, and the 5E version (compatible with the latest edition of D&D).

I assumed you had the 5E version which has the new map. My mistake.

I'm considering putting just the map up as a PDF on RPGNow for a nominal amount. Perhaps that will take care of your needs.

And yes, I do expect to continue to make money from a 7 year old book. That book costs us a considerable amount of money, effort, and time. It's only fair the company be compensated for producing the book.

_________________
Best,

Henry Lopez
President
PCI


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Just now getting into the Arcanis setting and I need hel
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:02 pm 

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:22 pm
Posts: 4
Quote:
I'm considering putting just the map up as a PDF on RPGNow for a nominal amount. Perhaps that will take care of your needs.


I will absolutely get that, just please, please try to make it 1920x1080 or something higher res so It's actually legible.

Quote:
And yes, I do expect to continue to make money from a 7 year old book. That book costs us a considerable amount of money, effort, and time. It's only fair the company be compensated for producing the book.


Understandable I was fairly convinced it was the OOP version but since it's not I'm all for supporting the creators, and I see no problem paying for it, as it's not gonna have the artificially inflated price that every OOP RPG book has. I'll more than likely end up getting another copy of the book at some point soon.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki