Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: HP 2-8 Question
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:35 am 

Auroris wrote:
The mod is definitely functioning as intended. ...snip... However, the intention could be reviewed. Even if the mod is functioning as intended, we can make sure that the intention itself is a good one.

Hadn't played this in the d&D version so I peeked at the stats. HP 2-8 is about Ansharan heretics and maybe a really big McGuffin. As a result, I think its odd from a story perspective that the biggest negative effects that potentially sticks to a PC come from what was a warm up encounter for the A:RPG version of the mod.

Story-wise, I think those kinds of consequences are best reserved for main encounters or optional encounters where PCs make a choice to face extra trouble.

Mechanics-wise, i do thinks that what was written is a fair representation of "Shades." Though potentially we have a lot of other D&D permutations: specters, wraiths etc etc. Magical aging seems like a harsh thing to throw at low level D&D PCs...but various other incorporeal undead also have other harsh powers.

I know time and energy is at a premium among campaign staff going into Origins, but I would encourage a second look at this encounter to do a sanity check on wether or not this is an outcome the campaign wants for the module.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:08 pm 

Nierite wrote:
In defence of the ARG system, there is absolutely no mechanics in that system for aging. Aside from the Tier IV Time Stop spell, "time magic" and aging effects don't exist. However, in D&D they definitely do exist, which is why they are used since age is a more developed mechanic.

Yes, but in a normal course of play for 5e you can easily get access to that Greater Restoration spell. If Arcanis adjusts some rules to fit the setting, then you can't use excuse that "them are the 5e rules". Maybe Lesser Restoration will postpone permanent aging for 24 hours until a character can get to a temple?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:20 am 

The biggest issue as I see it here is it's a consequence free of a driving choice behind it. The player didn't make a choice or decision, the player just happened to get a bad die roll or two. This is not good writing, good GMing, or fun for the player in anyway way (unless they are, luckily, an Elorii). Arcanis used to stand for something above this kind of cheap shot - I have a cherished T-shirt with the PCI and Arcanis logo that states "Stupidity leads to character creation, not bad luck". This is bad luck, not stupidity. Let's raise the bar again here.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:02 am 

I spoke about this with Pedro at Origins after it came up in an additional mod, and he said that he'd look into having the aging part of the ghost ability removed since it is harsh, has no equivalent in ARG, and isn't pertinent to the story. Hopefully staff has time to follow up on that.

5e character:
Ser Heidi val'Tensen, AKA Ser Adelheidis Sigrid val'Tensen of Moratavia

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:14 pm 

There's a lot of stuff to unpack here. The ghost's ability looks harsh, yes, but there's no mechanical penalties that I'm aware of for aging in 5e. There is the idea of your character dying a natural death or getting so old that they can't adventure, but that's not part of the mechanics. It's part of the role-playing, and still important, but non-mechanical.

There is also the idea that greater restoration is (or should be) more available in 5e than similar effects in ARG. So the aging should be (emphasis on should be) something that can be dealt with.

However, if the ability isn't working well in the campaign, we can adjust it. If the easiest solution is to make the aging only last until the next dawn, or something similar, we can do that.

Kailandos, Keeper of the Word and Soldier of Retribution

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2