Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HP2-6 The Price of Honor
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:59 pm 

At our table, for one of the offers the entire party agreed except a single PC. That PC refused to go with the party decision no matter what arguments were made, and the GM ruled that nobody could receive the rewards for the offer unless the party was unanimous due to the wording in the module (it referred to 'the party' rather than saying that each adventurer could make their own decision).

In the end, the party did the thing anyway (one of the party members disintegrating the body before the dissenting PC saw it). So if it hasn't been for the requirement of being unanimous, everyone except the one PC should have received the reward. As it was, nobody received the reward.

Was this run as the author/staff intended? Its seems a bit harsh that a single dissenting PC can make the decisions of the other five players not matter - thereby hijacking the party (there is no mechanic for forcing them to agree through persuasion and PVP is disallowed, so all it takes is one person to say 'no' and their 'no' trumps all the affirmatives of the rest of the party). It caused some hurt feelings with at least one player (whom is new to Arcanis and also new to 5e) whom now is extremely concerned about such a situation arising again.

5e character:
Ser Heidi val'Tensen, AKA Ser Adelheidis Sigrid val'Tensen of Moratavia

Last edited by Heidi val'Tensen on Wed May 24, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: HP2-6 The Price of Honor
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:45 pm 

I'm sorry to hear that you and most of your group were unhappy with the way the table went, but once a GM makes a legitimate ruling, it's improper for us (i.e. the Staff) to overrule them.

Was the other player being contrary for the sake of being contrary or did they have a valid reason (in or out of character)? If they are just being a hinderance because they enjoy causing discord, then all of you may want to have a talk with him/her. If it persists, I'd just not invite that person to play at your table.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:05 pm 

Henry, we aren't asking anyone to overrule the GM's decision - that ship has sailed and the ink has dried. We just want to know if the module was intended to go that way - mainly so that when any of us run it for another table we know whether or not the offers require a unanimous decision.

The player had an IC reason to be contrary (although it wasn't as strong a reason as some, it likewise wasn't illogical), but even after RPing for an hour trying to convince him, he didn't relent - and vs another PC no amount of persuasion skill can do anything. Our GM told me that the same thing happened to his table - a single PC preventing the rest of the party from agreeing to the offers and earning rewards, even though the PCs were successful in completed what had been asked of them.

So again, the question is whether or not this is intended - if its intended then that is great, but if it isn't intended then I don't want to perpetuate it when I run the module.

5e character:

Last edited by Heidi val'Tensen on Wed May 24, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:13 pm 

Yes, that was the way it was intended.

The reason is that if the party is not unanimous in their story, one person's refusal will expose everyone else's lie.

I understand that D&D is about the "rewards" but that's not the way I write Arcanis adventures.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:17 pm 

Thank you Henry, that is what I expected/thought (and exactly what I said IC during the argument, BTW), but I felt I should ask since the text of the module seems to assume consensus.

5e character:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:20 pm 

No problem.

Sorry for any confusion.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey