Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Arcanis: Cradle of Empires KickStarter is now LIVE!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:53 am 

Really cheap option for getting a copy of Legacy of Damnation...

<http://www.trollandtoad.com/p214462.html>

and
~ Sestia Gracchi, of Grand Coryan

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:57 am 

BTW, I suggest ANYONE interested to buy that book. A lot of it is 3.5 (and uses those tropes), but--unless they retcon the book for an eventual rerelease a la the Ssethregore book--it contains at least as much core information as the Codex Arcanis that is available for free. It is a mighty good read!

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:24 am 

In case Henry or Eric or whomever is looking for ideas, here's a couple things that jumped in my mind that could be Pledge or Add-On options:

- a 'free' Heirloom item

- permission to play a Gar character

- character that used to be from Ymandragore (not named Sampson, of course)

- a cert for "a favor owed" from an NPC of some significance or influence, that a character can benefit from one time, 1/adventure, etc. (could be numerous of these, from numerous places/groups)

- a cert for some benefit for character, but then they also owe a debt to an NPC/group as a one-time or "as appropriate".

and
~ Sestia Gracchi, of Grand Coryan

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:34 am 

In terms of ideas for add-ons and things, one option could be for an improved advancement cert. Figure out what the max XP was for all mods covered by the 1.5 cert, perhaps add a few non tradable/sellable items such as a fine suit of armor, fine weapon, a horse and a very limited amount of gold. Nothing in gear that would equal actually playing through the mods, but a way to let people start closer to others who've been playing for a while or get alts closer to where their primary characters are. For something like $5 each or unlimited alts for $20 that might be a nice accessible addition.

Another idea would be to include residences in various cities. I recall the auctions for properties back at the end of the previous campaign and they were very popular.

Depending on what's planned, being able to play a Khitani character or one of the ul could be interesting.

If you're looking for other interesting scions, a child of former senator Tensen-Balin could be interesting.

Some Paths require being a Patrician for example, so perhaps being able to buy an add-on for opening that up on a per character basis could work. That one might require checking the rules a bit to ensure that it wouldn't be open to abuse, but could be interesting.

With a sweep of his...

Hat

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:43 am 

I would love to see a group of survivors from General Calmemnon's expedition to Dhar Zhan Vor.

or a very limited reintroduction of the Altherian Articifer or elements from it.

I'd like to second the idea of Paul Hat's idea of an "advanced placement" cert give a significant nod to the previous crusade story arc.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:18 am 

SamhainIA wrote:
So for the people that missed the initial offering, what would please you the most to see getting offered in a (possible) next round of offerings?

and in the mean time have you all put in for one of the lower tiers? the centurion or the general?

Yes, I put in for the General level for now. I'm really not sure what I'd be interested in that isn't already there. Most likely, I'd use any special cert to rebuild (or dump and build) my secondary char (Ss'ressen that's only played one mod so far). Of what was already there, I'd be most interested in the val'Sosi or Argamassi Ss'ressen Gladiator (Argamassi is closer to my current char but val'Sosi definitely pique my interest). Failing that, for a possible add-on (eg $25 or less), I'd be interested in a cert allowing playing Ashen Hide Ss'ressen (at least I'm pretty sure they are currently technically illegal since they are only from Canceri even though they seem to live almost completely separate from the rest of Canceri).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:27 am 

The problem with many of those is that they can fall into the category of "Story-breaking". For example, we all KNOW that Calmemnon is going to come back in some horrifying way from Dar Zhan Vor, and to have some of his Legionnaires come back would be 1) telling of what happened, 2) kind of hamstrings PCI for telling that story somewhat. The same for the Khitani: Until PCI writes up the new Codex Arcanis or a Khitani Empire supplement similar to this Blessed Lands one, playing a Khitani would be a bit hard as we really no nothing about them and it crimps stories to reveal.

Possible options that are less-Story breaking:

1) Exiles from a 'proscribed' nation - From Canceri or Abessios are the easiest, and you can have certed permission to play an Exile/Expatriot from those nations, or even a simple "you can play an Ashen Hide!" While I'd love to see one from Ymandragore, I think that it is a bit hard to fit into the Living Campaign as any exile from Ymandragore would probably be hunted so much that they'd have to have a set of stat-blocks to give to every Chronicler at every mod they play for a 'random encounter.' Similar thing to the Malfelans, though it would be EVERYONE hunting you and not just the Ymandrakes.

2) Ability to play a Hainese/Legion of Unyielding Courage - We already have an option for playing a Bastionite val'Vasik, so possibilities for opening up the other two main 'free' nations of the Blessed Lands.

3) More "Descendant of" Certs - Allow players to be minor children or cousins (in character) of members of some of the ruling houses of Arcanis. Not one of Scipio's or Gerhardt's kids, but say a cadet branch of the val'Dellenov of Sylvania or the val'Ossan of Salantis, or even one of the Vassal families (like a Gracchi of Grand Coryan).

4) Minor Artifact - Allow the Heroes the opportunity to purchase a single published item of their tier or less that would otherwise not be allowed to buy (ie: Magical items which are thus far un-purchasable).

5) Portrait of a Character - Have yourself (or, with description, your character) done up by Pat Loboyko (since you're paying extra, you are basically using PCI as a broker for a commissioned piece). This could take the form of a Digital portrait, with extra money going to providing a REAL portrait (digital, however, can be printed. . .).

6) Cert Shirt Return! - I'd love to see more of these, and get some :D

7) A less-important 'special mission', say at a BI or Convention - Basically, you pay for the right to go on one of the special missions that were so famous about some of the earlier BI's, such as a commando raid on an Altheran Airship, while everyone else is defending the walls of a city. This is not a unique adventure where you learn terrifying secrets of Arcanis, but it is still a fun activity!

8) Knighthoods - Get a chance to play a former Knight of the Dolphin Guard, or Red Dragoon from the Western Lands.

9) Able to play a Descendant of Caneturec the Infernal, and therefore gain the ability to play a Psionic Dark-kin.

Last edited by Nierite on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:02 pm 

Another nice add-on idea just occurred to me. What about a bundle of the PDFs from d20 that contain significant amounts of information that is still relevant though possibly dated (such as Codex Arcanis (free anyway), Legacy of Damnation, Ssethregore, etc)?

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:20 pm 

Allow a character to be made an NPC of some sort. Either a previous campaign character or a current one but if it is current, the character must be retired immediately, becoming unplayable.

Allow someone to play a member of the Legion of Tempestuous Fury . This was the legion from Metra and had Ig of the Many Tongues. They found the lost standard and Calcestus granted them permission to reform.

Maybe a ‘hidden’ reward. Basically, you pledge and based on the character background you supply, PCI will work up something specific just for that character. Sort of like you would do in a home game setting. Depending on the amount you decided to make this pledge and the level of trust in the specific person, this could be rather neat.

Weren’t some people wanting to play a val’Sughn at some point?

Something that I thought was really neat from the last campaign that hasn’t made its way into this version is the idea of something bonded to a character’s soul/intellect. It doesn’t even have to be an item and it doesn’t have to be positive. But it added an interesting dimension. ;)

Maybe another special table, specifically done in person? Or, this is something that you could just do at the bigger cons for free. *hint*

Titles, Knighthoods, Legionnaires, etc. . I liked the Dolphin Guard idea, but that’s a personal bias and something I'd hope could be added to an existing character. :mrgreen:

I think that you should really branch out from just putting up new character options, instead offering some things that can be added to existing characters.

Elyse val'Tensen, Royal Marine of Milandir and Knight Protector of Tanin 3.1
and
Ryzxeien 1.6

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:37 pm 

The problem with tangible items is that there is the risk of game breaking (ie: giving someone an EXTRA heirloom or virtual talents or waiving entry requirements, etc) for money because you start to get into the 'pay to win' mindset. If people are going to do specific things like this, they should be in-mod rewards (ie: "You are adopted into the Gracchi family, and are now can take the "Adopted by Patricians" path to gain entry in specific things. . . )

That said, I do like the idea of these things. Maybe a "Friend of King Achavir" or "Friend of Elebac" cert which allows you to purchase items (at full cost in universe) made of special materials like Glass Steel or Tempered Sarishan Steel?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 475 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 48  Next