Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Online Store
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:27 am 

Is there any word when the store will be back up? If not, perhaps post links to available products on places like DrivethruRPG or other vendor sites?

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Online Store
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:27 am 

Well, while I try to wake my brain up at work. . .

3.5 Sourcebooks and Rule Books
Magic of Arcanis - Highly recommended to those who wish to play casters in the 3.5 version, or for the wealth of fluff and information for those who play the ARPG version.

The Players Guide to Arcanis - The Essential Core Book for the 3.5 version. Even in the ARPG version of the game I find myself scanning through the wealth of knowledge here.

Arcanis Superpack - Collection of the core rules books for the 3.5 version of the game.

Codex Arcanis - A HUGE resource on the history of Arcanis. A bit dated and 3.0-heavy in its tropes, but it's free, so download it!

Psionics Unbound - Like the Magic book, this book is essential for any Psionic classes in 3.5 Arcanis, as well as providing all the fluff you'd ever want on the subject (ie: What is the Silence?)

Ssethregore: In the Coils of the Serpent Empire - This book is slated for an ARPG makeover, but until then catch a glimpse of the evil Lizard Empire!

Theocracy of Canceri - Like Ssethregore, this is due for a makeover, but until then it offers lots of juicy information!

3.5 Adventures and City Guides

City of Secrets: The Adventurer's Guide to Nishanpur - This book details the history and present of the City of Nishanpur: The Capital of the Theocracy of Canceri. Contains a short adventure as well.

Shadows of a Forsaken Past - Probably one of my favourite adventures of the 3.5 days!

Year of Ill Harvest - Year 1 of the 3.5 campaign. If you are at all interested in the old campaign, this book is where you start.

Year of the Fall - Year 2 of the 3.5 campaign, and is also essential if you want to give a crack at that version of the game.

Carnival of Swords - A "Pre-Living Arcanis" Adventure book set in Old Coryan, the original capitol of the Coryani Empire! So much background information on the Coryani it is intense!

"Everything Evil" - Collection of Nishanpur, Theocracy of Canceri, and the Blood Reign of Nishanpur (which is a "Pre-Living Arcanis" adventure book!)

Other useful 3.5 products
Eldest Sons: The Essential Guide to Elves - Mostly unrelated to Arcanis, but the final chapter gives probably the single-most dense concentration of information on the Elorii, at least those of Entaris.

Arcanis, the Roleplaying Game
Arcanis: The Roleplaying Game - The Core Book for the ARPG gameset. Highly recommended!

Arcanis Bestiary, volume 1 - If you want to see how to make bad-guys of Arcanis and see what kind of terrifying threats there are on Onara, this book is for you!

Arcanis: The Codex of Heroes - This book effectively doubles character creation and advancement options!

Forged in Magic, Volume 1 - A collection of magical items, including the original batch of playable "Runes".

Forged in Magic, Volume 2: Treasures of the Ages - Even more magical items, including more runes and rules for Runestaves!

Knightly Order of the Phoenix - Interested in Milandir? Well, look at one of the more unique and secretive Knightly Orders!

ARPG Adventures
So Shall Ye Reap - The first adventure of "Year of Ill Harvest", but updated to ARPG rules.

Also: Until January 28, 2014, you can get all the ARPG supplements for cheap at the KICKSTARTER!!!!

Last edited by Nierite on Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:57 am 

I have heard that there is a large difference between the "old" books and the "new" books. I suspect this has something to do with the 3.5 that has been previously mentioned, but I want to make sure of what the newest version is before purchasing any books. Can someone explain this to a player who is just getting started in the world of Arcanis as well as being new to Pen and Paper RPG's?

Alex Parmelee

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:21 am 

If you are playing the ARPG rules (which are the currently supported rules of the campaign) then all of the ARPG listings are recommended over the D&D 3.5/OGL books. Of these, the Arcanis, the Roleplaying Game and Codex of Heroes are definite buys if you can! That being said, a few of the older 3.5 books contain lots of information (mostly fluff) about races and regions:

The Codex Arcanis (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR UNIVERSE BACKGROUND!!!)
Nishanpur, the City of Secrets
The Theocracy of Canceri
Ssethregore, the Serpent Empire

Additionally, I did really like Carnival of Swords when I played through it, as it gives lots of information about the formation and society of the Coryani Empire. The rest listed (not to say that is all PCI has put out) are a bit more D&D specific.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:06 pm 

Hello Alex,

aparmel528 wrote:
Can someone explain this to a player who is just getting started in the world of Arcanis as well as being new to Pen and Paper RPG's?

Welcome to Arcanis and a wonderful hobby - one I've enjoyed now for over 30 years.

As I'm not sure what you have read and haven't, I'll start with the basics:

Arcanis started as a D20 rpg back in late 2000. We produced a variety of books but when D&D switched to 4th edition, we felt it best to design our own game system that complimented the world setting. It won the Origins Award for Best RPG in 2012 and we've been very happy with it thus far.

The following list compiles the books published for the current system.

The Core rules - The Arcanis: World of the Shattered Empires RPG is the rule set in which the current iteration of the game is played.

That's all that's truly REQUIRED to play the game. However, if you'd like some more options and background information, I would suggest:

The Codex Arcanis: While written for the original D20 iteration, it's mostly world setting information with just a bit of D20 rules in the back. The PDF is available for FREE and I would encourage you to download and skim through it to get the very basics of the setting.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/55802/Codex-Arcanis

Secondly, there's the Codex of Heroes, which gives you more options to customize your character.

Additionally there's Forged in Magic I and Forged in Magic II: Treasures of the Ages, which are books that cover magic items and runes in more detail.

Lastly, for those who are running the game or just enjoy reading Monsters, there's the Arcanis Bestiary vol. I, which includes not just a listing of monsters but rules on how to create your own.

As Cody mentioned above, there are a variety of the old D20 books which provide good source material, but they are not critical for the enjoyment of the game as a player, though GMs would likely get tons of adventure ideas by reading them.

Please let us know if you have any questions, as we're a friendly and gregarious bunch and love to help out fellow Arcaniacs!

Again, welcome aboard!

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:57 pm 

Thank you for the information. Also can you tell me which are available in PDF format. I have vision issues, so the electronic version is much easier to access. I have found PDF formats for the Codex Arcanis, and Codex in Heroes, but am having difficulty location one for Arcanis: The World of Shattered Empires.

Alex Parmelee

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:06 pm 

aparmel528 wrote:
Thank you for the information. Also can you tell me which are available in PDF format. I have vision issues, so the electronic version is much easier to access. I have found PDF formats for the Codex Arcanis, and Codex in Heroes, but am having difficulty location one for Arcanis: The World of Shattered Empires.

Alex Parmelee

I was just on DriveThruRpg last night and noticed that the main Arcanis book is there but it is not classified as Arcanis for some reason. Look for it either by book name or pull up all Paradigm Concepts products and look for it in that list (rather than just Paradigm Concepts Arcanis products).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:13 pm 

The link that I provided in the 2nd post of thist thread was for the .PDF.

Offline Profile