Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: GMing 5ed Arcanis
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:12 am 

One of the issues I am grappling with as the reality of 5ed Arcanis arrives is running mods again that I have replayed multiple times under the APG system. Even though it's a new system with new players it's still the same material. I find I have a lack of enthusiasm for running it AGAIN. Last Sunday we played Kiss of the Beautiful Devil for instance. This was as I recall about the fourth time through. Likewise for Wolves in the Fold and others. I can count the number of mods I have not played at all on one hand. A couple of replays are fine but by the time you're on your fourth run through to get some characters leveled up it starts getting stale.

Now I'm not asking or expecting the staff to write a whole bunch of new mods for 5e. That's just not logistically feasible. But would it be possible to put together a few "specials" each year as we go forward to give us something fresh to run? Thanks!

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: GMing 5ed Arcanis
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:05 pm 

Sorry Michael, but that's not our plan.

I understand that running some of the older adventures can be repitious, but the two campaigns should be synced up by Origins 2017.

One thing I should note is that neither the Kiss of the Beautiful Devil nor Wolves in the Fold have been offered or converted for the Living Arcanis 5E campaign. Did you run KotBD for Living Arcanis?

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:35 pm 

Nope we were "old school" Legends of Arcanis. The only 5ed Arcanis I have played was the Ripples of Fate version done at Origins. We are still recruiting up here in Ohio.

Don't get me wrong I'm not being critical just curious. And I understand the plan. I'm just finding it hard to get excited about 5e after investing so much creative energy into getting in the APG. I'll probably just end up running as a GM. Now that I've been comparing the two systems I still find overall that I like the APG better, given the way magic works as well as the dynamic nature of combat allowed by the "clock system." I found that off-putting at first having spent so much time under the 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder system but now I actually enjoy a combat encounter in APG!

By the way how are you guys dealing with Matthew? Hope everyone of alright.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:10 pm 

Michael,

While we would love to have people play both system, that's not the main goal. That is to get new people playing without the additional work of learning a new system.

And that's why we will NOT do specials for 5E - that way everyone has the same story to play.

And thank you for asking - we all weathered the storm well.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:33 pm 

Glad to hear everybody's weathered the store, being from Louisiana I am well aware of the destructive potential of hurricanes and take them very seriously.

One idea that has occurred to me is to take the 5e mods you're putting out for the Destroyer arc, adding the additional material from the Blessed Lands book, and running it as a home 5e campaign. I'm going to float that idea among my gaming friends and see if there's any interest. I really do like the idea of using the First City as a base of operations for a home campaign. We'll see how it goes. The mods help me do some of the heavy lifting and the home game gives the players the freedom to push beyond the boundaries imposed by the four hour mod structure. I just worry about trying to keep relatively close to the canon but I can work that out over time. IF people are interested and committed which is always the issue...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:55 pm 

Hello,

Haakon_val'Ishi wrote:
I just worry about trying to keep relatively close to the canon but I can work that out over time. IF people are interested and committed which is always the issue...

Why? Its a Home Game. Let the player's actions and your imagination take you where you want it to go. Your Arcanis may not be exactly like my or someone else's Arcanis and that's fine.

It's not like those players can use those characters and run them in the Organized Play campaign.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:01 am 

I get your point Henry, but I've always tried to stick somewhat close to canon in shared worlds like Arcanis. It's just how I prefer to play things for the most part. A lot will depend on what players want, they may not want a home game. We'll see.

Of course if they do want a home game I can set it either in the past or some area not currently being used like Almeric. If I do in the past (say I use the Blessed Lands) then I can follow the general outlines of history and make some minor tweaks along the way, but in the end the basic timeline will remain intact.

On the other hand I could go completely off the rails. Calmemnon does not survive to adulthood, this whole Destroyer arc never happens. Instead we have Voiceless Ones and the Silence up to all sorts of no good in the Blessed Lands and the players have to deal with THAT. All sorts of hilarity and hijinks ensue... :o :shock: :twisted:

OR perhaps the Sleeping Emperor declares a "crusade" to take the First City and we have another Coryani-Khitani War and I borrow stuff from the movie Kingdom of Heaven...

OR "something" from the Citadels of Neroth and Beltine emerges (a Paragon of Neroth?)...

Offline Profile