Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Favourite parts of the BL book
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:12 pm 

To further answer Cody:

I have known about Beltine's "Gift" - (gahh...what was she thinking) since 2012. I am glad it's out so I can finally (finally!) talk about it. I also think the Gate of Shadows is very interesting. More planar travel!!!

Also of interest is how Ymandragore is perceived. Heroes who fight the Mad Magi and the Endless? How screwed up do those groups need to be for Ymandragore to come out smelling like a rose. And by the by...OOC am I the only one who interprets the Red Doors of Lord Varro and his flying nocturnal visitors as a sign that he is in bed with Ymandragore?

While I'm also speculating wildly let me suggest that the Black Wyvern allegedly seen in the Griphon Tower was a mount for a Ssethric "leader" who flew in clandestinely and then left...I've had to rethink my opinion of the uncleasened area after last years BI and am convinced that there is essentially a second Ssethric government controlling a significant portion of the other side of the barricade.

Lastly I really liked the Citadels. It seems strange to me that Pescinium is the only major town to spring up around one but otherwise I like them a lot. What treasures of history are sealed within the depths of the Citadel of Altheris. What Horrors in the double citadel of Neroth and Beltine's???

And one of the Keys of Man puts in an appearance with the Azure Way!

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Last edited by val Holryn on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:22 pm 

It's interesting looking at the history of the val'Emman and val'Virdan to understand better the origin of their feud. Friendly rivalry turned ugly under Manetas' reign and the elevation of the val'Virdan's. Their time of power and the val'Emman persecution lasted close to 100 years. In response the persecution of the val'Virdan then lasted roughly 260 years which then led to the Emman's eradication.

Much is made of the val'Virdan enslavement while little is said about the val'Emman's prior persecution. Part of what makes it interesting is that in successive cases, the punishment far outstrips the crime. History is of course written by the victor. It does offer some interesting areas for RP.

Plenty more to go through in the book, but this snippet caught my eye.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:53 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
If I had one thought about things that are missing so far I would've mentioned a list of major religious groups. We Know a smidgen about the Death Mongers and Aii. What else is prominent in the First City?

No write up on Aii, as I want to keep that in the dark for the time being, however, I did do a more extensive write up on the Kalindruhl, the Death Mongers (or their official name - the Church of the Divine Trinity) and, if I can fit it in, the Three Goddesses (Belisarda and Her Sisiters).

Other than that, there is an appendix on the weather (as I mentioned) as well as the Calendar used by the First City.

If I still have some space, I'll throw in a Glossary, but that's tenuous at the moment, so I wouldn't count on that one yet.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:02 am 

PCIHenry wrote:
... the Three Goddesses (Belisarda and Her Sisiters).

Señor Lopez, thou art a vile, EBIL, tease ... :lol:

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:32 pm 

I'm at work and don't have access to the file, but who came up with the character who heads the Jial of the Phoenix in the First City? I assume Henry but I wonder. I find her a very intriguing character.

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:36 pm 

Haakon_val'Ishi wrote:
I'm at work and don't have access to the file, but who came up with the character who heads the Jial of the Phoenix in the First City? I assume Henry but I wonder. I find her a very intriguing character.

Yep - except for the game mechanics, I'm to blame for this book.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:42 pm 

Henry just to be clear she's not the same person we fight in Into the Blessed Lands is she? I'm at work and can't check this online but I'm curious about that. Thanks.

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:59 pm 

I've been going over the information given in the rough draft carefully to see what information is given. There are a few things that jump out to me.

1) The imprisonment of Leonydas val'Virden. This is basically copied word for word from the Cancari book except for 1 thing. There is no mention of the Avatar of the Oathbreaker (the child with black eyes) just the wizard's involvement.
Do you think this is one of Henry's perspective things? I mean people in Cancari (and Nishanpur specifically) would know more about what was going on in Cancari at that time then someone who was in the Blessed Lands.
Or do you think he might be removing the Avatar completely, a recon if you will?

2) The Voei- I believe the back story of the Voei can now be explained. In earlier books, the Voei and Hurrian had a sliver of a connection. They were mentioned together in the PGtA prestige class Warped One, and I remember something about the val'Tensen not liking to discuss theories on the Voei, or feeling very said when they are talked about. But the Blessed Land book confirmed that it was The Legion of Deafening Thunder that went after the Khitani envoy. I believe they were turned into the Voei somehow when they met up with Khitani.

3) The Thousand Eyed Man was on Onara before the PoM came to Arcanis.
The city of Torveld Enyo was created by the Osalikene, infested by the Thousand Eyed Man, abandoned, repopulated by the Marokene, and than abandoned a second time when Kurenthe was cast that destroyed the vegetation in the Blessed Lands. After the death of the Elemental Lords.

I never liked the theory that the Thousand Eyed Man was a Fallen Valinor. He seemed much more like an infernal prince, but it seems he was around before the Time of Terrors as well.

The other things that jumped out at me, were all minor, and surprised me.

Elebac leaving Solanis Mor and moving to the First City.

The Ossarion Empire isn't dead, the Chauni get slaves from them even today. (The Brotherhood of the Crimson Shackles sidebar)

The Citadels of the Gods, have been found, but some are unexplored. I thought besides Nier, they were all used today after being found.

Something about The Four Towers of the Magi description given from that ancient scroll seems like it would have been the Sorcerer's Kings home before founding Mandragore (then Ymandragore.)

I hope everyone else also enjoyed reading it, I'm eagerly awaiting the hardcopy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:31 pm 
Haakon_val'Ishi wrote:
Guidelines! We don't need no stinking guidelines! :) Seriously though that was one of the things I liked about the old codex was the biased points of view concerning each nation. I don't have a major problem with the high requirements to know the really ancient obscure stuff. If it's that important to you build a character with an eye to knowing that stuff. Most of the characters I play will have no idea and some even care less about "ancient history." When in doubt leave it buried, 'cause sometimes they buried it for a really good reason. ;)

I hated it. Knowing anything about the Elorii meant knowing it from a human perspective. Eff-that. :evil:

This is still an issue on the topic of knowing anything about what Belisarda's followers agree on how to worship her -besides how her churches are physically arranged.

On topic:

The 12 Trees weren't razed after all. Nice. 8-) Small, but potent.

Belisarda; the 3 Sisters. Helps fill in the mystery of why/if nobody -particularly the Shamanic traditions- knew anything about the Life Spirit of the Planet prior to the Sstherics.

For a while I thought the Pengik might prove an interesting exception, what with having some interaction with both primal spirits and biomancy.

Nope. :roll: They were worshipping Saluwe`! Before she showed up.

Also: pretty much everything about the city itself. The literally hundreds, awesome, of entries give the First City incredible texture. I have a place to put everyone I play; I can work out how they relate to it. This is fantastic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3