Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: First City Map Sent to Backers
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:42 am 

Andy Law wrote:
So, the map's out in the wild? Exciting! I hope everyone likes it. :D

Yes! Exciting & I like it! It was a long wait, but the map is outstanding! Really outstanding. It eclipses the (good) maps done of the cities of Old Coran & Nishanpur. Apparently good things DO come to people who wait. Thank you!

TooDeep wrote:
Where is Litera Scripta Manet? Does it make it into the book? As of right now it is one of the few places in the city I do know!

Litera Scripta Manet is on the (presumably) western edge of the city just a block or two above the Patriarch's Gate/Gatehouse. I'm tickled. Both with the actual location, and that someone here on the forum has asked! Basically you come up the crisscrossing road and into the city then take the first left turn off the main thoroughfare. At the next intersection turn right and look for it on the right hand side. Tukufu says, come visit! Whoo-hoo! :D

Neirite wrote:
Can we get a list of all the special businesses from the Kickstarter? I know of a few but I don't think all.

I know the first three and Matt has fingered the fourth.
#5 Litera Scripta Manet (Bookstore) (mine)
#8 Dark Teasures Curio Shop (Curio Shop) (Harliquin's)
#53 Academy of Epics & Songs (School & Performance Hall) (Hat's)
#56 Archer's Folly

I know there are more than this. But I've forgotten the exact number. 6? 8? 12?

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Last edited by val Holryn on Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:55 am 

The Map does raise some questions for me.

The Endless Choir is located ... in the Unclean Quarter?!? Uh, how does that work? How do they get supplies? How does one visit it? (to both, presumably very carefully...)

Where are the docks? Do they somehow connect to the Pearl? To the Patriarch's Gate? To the Lift? I can't tell from looking at the map. If it does go to the Lift what happens to the buildings shown bellow in Traders Point?

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:46 am 

Wow! It looks great. Good job Andy and all others involved.

I'm still playing Crusade Arc scenarios, but I can't wait to get to the First City.

Hattar Tantoros di Caligo Dark-kin Templar of Cadic
Ruggiero val'Assante Val Noble
Ershan Yagmir Human Nomad
Turbulus Normaven Gnome Vagabond
Sibin val’Vasik Val Wilder

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:31 am 

One of the first things that struck me upon looking at the map was all the cool locations that can now pop up in mods. Like the racetrack (hippodrome) or the gladiator schools (although according to Wikipedia a ludus can be any sort of school--but I suspect these train gladiators). Even though it seems like up to now all the First City mods have been hard points, is there any reason someone couldn't write a Soft Point set in the First City or Blessed Lands (once authors have the book in hand)?

On a related note is it possible to print this map out in a large enough format for framing or hanging on a wall without losing detail or resolution?

Also if Andy's at Origins or GenCon next year I want to see if I can get this signed. It really is a nice map, now I'm eagerly awaiting the "big" map.

Haakon val'Ishi, Beltinian Exorcist 2.7 [Divine]
Ursula val'Holryn, Grand Master of the Tralian Hammer 2.2 [Martial]
Arun of Tultipet, Holy Champion of Neroth 1.10 [Expert]
Rikitsa val'Holryn, Psion 1.9 [Arcane]

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:55 am 

Can't express how happy I am that you all mostly seem to love the map -- it makes all the work worthwhile.

Haakon_val'Ishi wrote:
Also if Andy's at Origins or GenCon next year I want to see if I can get this signed. It really is a nice map, now I'm eagerly awaiting the "big" map.

I would love to attend either, but I'm in Scotland, which doesn't make travelling to such events an easy, or cheap, prospect.

That said, I'll be visiting the States at some point in the next year or two -- my brother-in-law and his family have just moved out to LA -- so maybe I could kill two birds with one stone?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:49 am 

Haakon_val'Ishi wrote:
One of the first things that struck me upon looking at the map was all the cool locations that can now pop up in mods.

No need to wait! At GenCon during a runnning of Henry's newest HP the table was having diffculty getting info. They were asking the right questions, but to the completely wrong people. So, I had their investigation lead to Dark Treasures

Haakon_val'Ishi wrote:
Like the racetrack (hippodrome)

Speaking of the Circus Septimus, how would you like to be one of the plebes who got nosebleed seats in the SW corner of that monster? You look over the edge, and you are staring all the way down to the base of the Plateau of Dagha!!!

Haakon_val'Ishi wrote:
On a related note is it possible to print this map out in a large enough format for framing or hanging on a wall without losing detail or resolution?

I have an unfinished room in my house that I want to turn into a medieval pub/gaming room. This map makes me want to finish that room asap and do exactly that. If it would be cost-effective for PCI to have large prints made, it would totally be a "shut up and take my money!" situation.

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:38 am 

mighty28 wrote:
Haakon_val'Ishi wrote:
One of the first things that struck me upon looking at the map was all the cool locations that can now pop up in mods.

No need to wait! At GenCon during a runnning of Henry's newest HP the table was having diffculty getting info. They were asking the right questions, but to the completely wrong people. So, I had their investigation lead to Dark Treasures

Haakon_val'Ishi wrote:
Like the racetrack (hippodrome)

Speaking of the Circus Septimus, how would you like to be one of the plebes who got nosebleed seats in the SW corner of that monster? You look over the edge, and you are staring all the way down to the base of the Plateau of Dagha!!!

Yeah I noticed that. Might be an interesting way to get rid of someone...sir they slipped and fell off... ;)

Haakon_val'Ishi wrote:

I have an unfinished room in my house that I want to turn into a medieval pub/gaming room. This map makes me want to finish that room asap and do exactly that. If it would be cost-effective for PCI to have large prints made, it would totally be a "shut up and take my money!" situation.

Darn makes me want to go there and have a mini-con at your house Matt. First chance I get I'm going to take the file to Staples and see how big a print I can make.

BTW are those Ludii gladiator schools?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:01 am 

Hello everyone,

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the map. I think we can all agree that Andy Law outdid himself with this one!

We are looking into pricing the cost of producing unfolded poster size maps suitable for pinning up on a wall. Thus far the pricing looks very reasonable, though the mailing tubes are (thus far) a bit expensive.

There were five player owned businesses unlocked during the Kickstarter. Matt has identified four. The fifth is "The Wandering Eye" (#57) a Sarishan comfort house (i.e. a brothel).

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:02 am 

Haakon_val'Ishi wrote:
BTW are those Ludii gladiator schools?

I am assuming so, but that is a Henry question. I have been trying to figure out the roots of their names. My guess is they are ludii ascribed to certain families, as opposed to being named after some distinctive gladiatorial style. Otherwise, the closest I have been able to find would make the Ludus Carnatae the "School of Obesity" and the Ludus Polyceti the "School of Many Big Fish"

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:02 am 

A Sarishan brothel....one can only imagine what goes on in there... :o :shock: :twisted:

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next