Last visit was: It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Arcanis and 5th Edition D&D
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:21 pm 

YES!! YES!! *$%^ YEA!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE A:RPG as a system. I will not willingly play another system. But in terms of promoting the Arcanis Setting in Cincinnati, the single biggest resistance I run into is the new rules system. Folks just want to play something they like with a good story to it.

As it stands we are running one full table every two weeks in the A:RPG rules set in North Cincinnati. I could easily see converting interest into between 5-10 tables per week if there was a 5th Ed option to play. PFS interest in the area is waning, and folks are actively looking for a new organized play system to get involved with. The market is crying out for a dual release.

The quicker you can do this, the better. IF the mods are ready to run a very small 5th ed trial at CincyCon, let me know and I will offer all support that I can.

I just ask that NEW STORIES be released in A:RPG first for at least the next few years.

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:40 pm 

Well I will add my voice to those who will NOT be doing any Arcanis in 5e.

Am I against it? No, as I have nothing to do about it. Until the campaign moves to 5e, I'll keep being a supporter.

Is it a good idea? Yes, but I expect the VAST Majority coming from/for 5e will come for 5e above anything else.

JP

aka Sister Mary Flagellating myself for your sins

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:21 pm 

Hat wrote:
Regardless of the system, I'm staying. The greatest strength is the world and the storytelling and I know that will come through regardless of the system.

I agree with everything Paul said, but especially in how it's the stories and role-playing that make Arcanis great. I play Arcanis for the depth of the world, the shades of grey, the moral dilemmas, the mysteries, the uncertainties, the politics, the intellectualism, and the quality of players who are drawn to such things.

I've heard both good and bad comments from players about the ARPG game mechanics. I haven't heard very many complaints about the quality of the stories.

When I first tried Living Arcanis, I was more willing to try it because it used D&D rules, and I'd have been more hesitant to try it if it were "yet another" game with its own rules. OTOH, sometimes I try a new game at a con with the attitude of focusing on role-playing and letting the GM tell me when I need to roll dice (though that's much easier when pre-gen characters are provided).

In New England (where I live), Pathfinder is extremely popular, though D&D 5e is growing in popularity. We sadly have no ARPG here. I've noticed that Green Ronin's current model is to publish rules-agnostic material for Freeport with rules-specific addenda for download with game stats.

I respect Paradigm's decision to experiment. I look forward to more great stories, enjoyable adventures, and great new players regardless of the game mechanics.

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:19 pm 

I also agree that I play this campaign because of the story, complex world, and all that stuff David mentioned that other campaigns do not do. Keep doing the interesting story and world things and I will keep playing, rules system aside.

I also think that a 5e thing to help introduce new players to the world is a great idea. I actually think the 5e system fits Arcanis pretty good, the basic engine is easy to pick up on and there is recognition there that could be a big perk for drawing in new players. Then introducing them to ARPG for more is much easier.

My advice to PCI is to advertise more that this world IS different than others. Its far more 'mature' in nature. Its complex and gray, philosophical and challenging. Its not 'ind some monster, kill the monster, take the monster's treasure, get more powers.

Excellent idea Henry and PCI!!

and
~ Sestia Gracchi, of Grand Coryan

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:10 am 

The idea to increase the pool of players that we can draw on is a great one. By keeping both systems any location (and any GM) can use the system that their players prefer.

val Holryn wrote:
On the other hand I've quietly thought that the primary hurdle to growing our base in Portland is a lack of modules. In my experience people want to play a slot or two every month. So to be healthy, IMO a shared world campaign should put out 18-24 rounds per year. Arcanis doesn't hit those numbers. It really doesn't hit those numbers if you don't go to Arcaniscon or Origins to see the BIs or special events.

So I also tend to worry a little about any projects eating into the time that might otherwise be spent producing adventures or PCI products.

Don't forget if players interested in 5E join Arcanis, then so will module writers, monster builders, encounter builders, and any number of creative individuals that are familiar with 5E, to help get more products out as well. I'm pretty sure the Invisible Kings was an example of that. We had so many people looking for more modules, and PCI was able to get enough volunteers to make 10 unique location based story lines. And in total those volunteers made 55 modules in a two - three year window on top of the regular number of Hard Points and Soft Points that the PCI staff published.
I think it'd be great to have enough people to make that an option again. Sure it won't happen right away but the more people we attract the more likely it is to occur.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:50 am 

Hello,

The Vault wrote:
I think it'd be great to have enough people to make that an option again. Sure it won't happen right away but the more people we attract the more likely it is to occur.

That's my hope. We'll see if there is enough interest in Arcanis for 5E players.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:39 pm 

First, let me say (as Paul and others have already stated), I play Arcanis for the stories. So no matter what system is used for the Arcanis campaign, I'll play.

While I enjoy the A:RPG system, I do hear from other, non-Arcanis, gamers, a reluctance to learn a new system. So I think that having a 5E version would help draw new players (GMs, writers, organizers) to Arcanis. I assume that 5E is the new de-facto gaming standard, much like D&D 3.5 was 15 years ago.

If we do end up having both systems be available for play, we'll need clear rules on converting PCs from one system to the other.

Anoush val'Mehan, Sarishan Binder (3.9)
Valadriel Maethirion, Kio Duelist (2.5)
Irena val'Virdan, Priestess of Nier (2)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:03 pm 

I have been playing Arcanis since almost the beginning and love the story! It has brought me close to a great many people that I would not have had the pleasure of meeting. The community use to be huge , and when the change to the new system happened we lost a lot of it , including pretty much all of my local players , a small number of us play at Origins but that has lessened in recent years.

I have several times gauged interest of return to the story if the system was to go back to a more widely used one or one that felt more familiar, and they have all said they would gladly revisit the story they (like every one ) all talk about how amazing your story is Henry. But the system just gets in the way of them enjoying the experience, which is a similar frustration I hear from new players as well when I try and bring them into the world.

I would love to see the community grow again and help keep this game and world both thriving.

Ss'eth Blazing Sentinel and Harbinger of the Word of the Fire Dragon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:12 pm 

I'd like to say I'm in it for the story, now dont get me wrong the Story is what got me hooked on Arcanis, but its only part of the reason I'm here. Arcanis is something I love to do with friends, some of the best times I've had in gaming have been sitting at tables with Arcanis Players (or drinking with them afterwards).

A:RPG has it positive points and negative points, but I think its a system that is EXTREMLY well suited for the story that is being told. On the other hand, 5th edition has the potential to breathe new life into the campaign in the form of new players to get hooked, and while I really like the friends I play with, In the previous campaign I used to REALLY enjoy sitting down with a group of people I had never met before and learn new and differnt ways to do things, and tricks. There is not nearly the same kind of variety of people in the current campaign, and I miss that.

In general I tend to be a supporter of moving forward and trying new things, I'm looking forward to introducing people to arcanis with 5th edition, I'm looking forward to a more balanced arcanis 2.0 also. and I would be happy to help move things forward.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:21 pm 

I'm baffled by the comments about "not wanting to learn a new system". Learning new mechanics is easy as long as one person at the table understands them (and, even if not, it's still not too hard). Over the years, I've played scores of systems (I own probably 50+ different RPG systems (but some I picked up in PDF and have never played)). I'm honestly curious to hear from people that feel this way or know the reason why others feel this way. Why do people not want to learn a new system? How will they know if there is a better system out there if they don't try any besides the one they currently play?

I'm even more confused by the comment that "the A:RPG system gets in the way of the story". A:RPG was developed specifically to tell the Arcanis story - it is a far better system than any version of D&D for telling the Arcanis story. Why do some feel the A:RPG system gets in the way?

If we can bring new players into Arcanis (and A:RPG) then great but the necessity of converting some modules to D&D baffles me (though I'm certainly not arguing that it isn't necessary - I just don't understand the mindset that seemingly makes it necessary).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next