Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Arcanis and 5th Edition D&D
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:11 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
5E Arcanis campaign at Winter Fantasy 2016.

Yes, yes, I just saw this on while reviewing the slots available for Winter Fantasy 2016... And I almost immediately signed up for the 4 5e slots. (I did text Matthew however, still awaiting the return text) But I am waiting a minute or 7.

I am very interested in returning to Arcanis (in any incarnation) but 5E would be easier. I just recently got a few friends of mine AND most of my family involved in RPGing (even Gnomie Jr.). If I can easily switch them over to Arcanis, so that they can enjoy this rich world PCI has created... It would make it easier for me to justify purchasing PCI material, go to cons, etc... Because for me it would be a family affair now (which was one of the reasons I left the gaming circles, the others, well, another time and place).

If I can get conversion rules, or a sample gnome 5e character sheet that I can modify to create Gnomie 2.0, I will be at Winter Fantasy with a sign that says "PCI take my money". And if 5E does indeed take off, I will offer again to write the mods I solo submitted (that were put in limbo thankfully), I will buy the books, I will offer to judge, I will bring in new players, etc.

Needless to say, I am all for the 5E Arcanis. Bring it!

AKA
Gnomie

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:17 pm 

Arcanis 5E: the Gnomie Awakens :D

-general creator of mayhem and discord
-Exceptional quality PCI Minion and indentured servant
-Lord of the Hummingbirds

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:31 pm 

mighty28 wrote:
Arcanis 5E: the Gnomie Awakens :D

"You were my brother Gnomie, you were the un-chosen one!"

AKA
Gnomie

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:36 pm 

There haven't been any posts/announcements about Arcanis /5e, the Winter fantasy stuff has been been up for a little bit and there is an insinuation there will be a separate/simultaneous 5e Arcanis campaign.

Here is the crux of that tho, Folks at PCI can't make anything like that as a public announcement until one of two things happens: 1 PCI gets a contract like galeforce9 (less likely but not out of the range of possibility) 2 WOTC finally makes an announcement for a SRD like entity. (My guess)

Now here is the thing about the way WOTC makes announcements nowadays, they make them at the last moment, the last couple of books have been announced with like 3 weeks lead time, I have no idea why WOTC is waiting to announce the SRD like thing, I've heard rumors for 2-3 months about an SRD thing, so I assume they are waiting on something specific to be ready to announce it. My guess is the first week of January will see an announcement from WOTC in a timeline for Winterfantasy stuff

Please keep in mind that This is just my opinion and is a lot of conjecture.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:11 am 
Hat wrote:
Regardless of the system, I'm staying. The greatest strength is the world and the storytelling and I know that will come through regardless of the system.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

This quote serves me fine as well and should serve as the master sentiment bracketing anything else espoused below.

I'm not so entirely fond of the ARG; I've found my scant system mastery of it hard-won and similarly now struggle with defining each of my characters mechanically in measuring opportunity costs.

I also find it very hard to end up feeling "satisfied" with a given level of competence in anything. Even with 5+ ranks in a skill actions feel too "swingy," too over-reliant on the whims of the dice. I know Larissa likes her games, but I cling to my sad little attempts at personal agency all the same.

Passive skill values are nearly meaningless except in the cases of Arcanum and then they're life-or-death.

While Adaptations are a very clever idea in practice I've found it has expanded the amount of knowledge I've needed to have about a given spell very noticeably -first I have to know the base value, than I have to know the modified values. In effect I have to know 1.5+ versions of the same spell.

This is far better than 3.X D&D and the godawful paragraphs of memorized spell lists, but it's still not great.

I can't remember all those Talents. I'm sorry, but that's just how it is.

That said I have no real fondness for 5th Ed. either, and readily nominate either of the Crafty Games systems of Spycraft 2.0 or Fantasy Craft as being the superior to D&D in any form.

I detest Pathfinder. I dislike 3.X slightly less.

I actually, sincerely, think 4th Edition D&D is no kind of poor fit for any intended campaign outside of it's ludicrous amounts of itemization and torrent of spam-worth feats. I think the Dark Sun 4th ed. book's rules for a "no magic items" campaign and some judicious use of granted Improved Defense feats can rectify these problems, but I also understand (and take no offense in knowing) that nobody besides me cares about 4E and Arcanis.

Nothing said above should be interpreted as any disrespect of the obviously scrupulous care put into the crafting of the ARG, but it is what I "think." PCI is welcome to consider my issues to be essentially personal flaws; rather like Apple Products it could just be a case of the ARG being "smarter than Zac."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:58 pm 

I have a different view than most I've heard. To me, the system definitely makes a difference.

I would likely not play Arcanis if it was not using a system crafted for the setting (I did not play when Arcanis was a setting for D&D 3.x). Further, I would consider using ARG mechanics for a fantasy game not set in Onara (though defining the nationality entries, deity entries, and modifying backgrounds/paths could be a fair bit of work). I like the flexibilities and tradeoffs inherent in character creation (even when I get frustrated with them).

I like lots of different games. I've played and enjoyed (at the time anyway) every version of D&D except 2e. I slightly prefer 3.5 to Pathfinder (Pathfinder fixed some things but dropped some things that I liked). I thought 4e was a good game but recognize that it was too big a change in feel for many people to think of it as D&D (mechanically, 3.5 -> 4e actually had fewer changes than 2e -> 3.0). The fatal flaw in 4e to me now is that the character builder is nearly essential to create a character but it is only available via monthly subscription (they should have kept or rereleased the offline character builder). I also enjoy lots of other RPG systems (Rolemaster, Harnmaster, Chronicles of Ramlar, Savage Worlds, etc (just to name the fantasy ones)).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:54 pm 
wilcoxon wrote:
I have a different view than most I've heard. To me, the system definitely makes a difference.
The fatal flaw in 4e to me now is that the character builder is nearly essential to create a character but it is only available via monthly subscription (they should have kept or rereleased the offline character builder).

TOTALLY forgot about that! :lol:

Yes, good point!

I don't weigh it that heavily, but absolutely that's non-trivial as details go.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:53 pm 

Hello and welcome back, Dustin!

Gnomie wrote:
If I can get conversion rules, or a sample gnome 5e character sheet that I can modify to create Gnomie 2.0, I will be at Winter Fantasy with a sign that says "PCI take my money". And if 5E does indeed take off, I will offer again to write the mods I solo submitted (that were put in limbo thankfully), I will buy the books, I will offer to judge, I will bring in new players, etc.
Needless to say, I am all for the 5E Arcanis. Bring it!

Yes indeed, we'll be testing the waters at Winter Fantasy 2016 to see if there's enough interest to merit offering a 5E version of Arcanis. Peter is working furiously on pregens as well as an introductory primer, which will have basic rules on how to create a Gnome among other races. I'll make that available on the website as soon as it's ready.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:03 pm 

Hello,

Let me give everyone some insights on what a possible 5E version of Arcanis will mean.

First off - LEGENDS OF ARCANIS and the ARCANIS RULE SYSTEM IS NOT GOING AWAY!

IF we do go ahead with a 5E version, the plan is to offer two completely parallel campaigns with the exact same adventures, just with different rule sets. There won't be any new adventures for one that hasn't been offered to the other.

Secondly, there will NOT be a conversion for characters from one system to the other. The game mechanics are too different and it would be a nightmare to do this. If you want to recreate your character as a level 1 5E Hero, you're welcome to do so, but it’s a separate character from your ARG Hero.

Lastly, I'm considering doing this because, besides the numerous emails I get to convert Arcanis to Pathfinder or D&D, I believe that adding new players to the fold, as well as bringing back players from the D20 days will serve to inject more life into the campaign, which can only be good for everyone.

I hope I have your support assuming we go this route.

Thank you!

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:21 pm 

Assuming that doing the extra rules/stats for the 5e modules does not slow the release of ARG modules even further (different people doing stat blocks for different rules or the stat blocks are never the stumbling block, etc), I'm all for this.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next