Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Arcanis and 5th Edition D&D
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:13 am 

Just to chime in, I'm an avid fan of Pathfinder, but do not like what WoTC has done with 5e. Far less crunchy than I like my games and with far fewer options. One of the things that has pulled me to Aranis is the tremendous amount of options given to players right from the beginning. With so many different choices at character build and during advancement, each character has a chance to be different and unique. To take that away would be a true shame.

Honestly, people mostly play D&D and 5e for the setting. They want to play Forgotten Realms, Eberron, etc. I don't see there being a huge draw of players from the 5e setting to Arcanis simply because the mechanics match. I know plenty of people who are Pathfinder players who tried 5e and simply didn't want to play in the Forgotten Realms, which is what their organized play campaign is all about.

If anything, Arcanis for Pathfinder would have the biggest draw as far as a playerbase.

- Sestius Ovidius Crixus - Former Gladiator of the Empire (Martial 1.6)
- Many more to come! :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:16 pm 

One advantage to Arcanis for Pathfinder would be that it should be very easy to convert the old campaign from D&D 3.x to PF (much, much harder to convert current material though).

As an update to my earlier post, I found that I was surprised to find that I mostly like D&D 5e. The one thing I absolutely hate is tieing stat gain (or feat) to class level (rather than character level) -- it means that, while you can theoretically multiclass whenever you want, you can really only multiclass at multiples of 4 levels (otherwise you lose relatively large bonuses - possibly forever). Probably my next biggest complaint is the Archery fighting style (+2 to hit at level 1 or 2 depending on Fighter or Ranger) since that is a very significant bonus to hit (likly 33-50% bonus at level 1-2 and still almost 20% bonus at level 20 with max Dex (barring magic items as I don't have DMG)).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:05 pm 

I will chime in on this topic and point at the elephant in the room in regards to the ARG.

As the living campaign approaches Tier 3, more of the books will be used. More unexpected conditions will occur. There are at least a few spells that need to be re-edited to place them more inline with the writer's intentions.

After the Year 2 book gets completed and before pushing into Year/Campaign 3, the Player's Handbook and other current materials need to be fully revised with a new version release. I am not saying ARG v2. I am saying ARG v1.1. You have to consider these first 2 campaigns are a full shakedown run. Then there is the errata and its distinct changes.

If you want to keep the ARG alive, we need a fully revised book. It doesn't mean that players will have to throw away the original player's handbook, as some will be content with a specially formatted codex of changes to place with the player's handbook. Some players would be willing to buy the new version. If you add a little extra content, then you can supply the codex of changes as a cheaper paperback book. It is not a bad business plan, and may not require as much work as writing the Blessed Lands campaign book. Essentially, this is performing the regular maintenance items on a car.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:01 pm 

As many of you know by now we ran a 5e Arcanis "playtest" at GenCon...

Some interesting things took place

1) every table sold out, we took some generics

2) not one of the players I ran even herd about Arcanis... not even Living Arcanis

3) every player I ran LOVED the world and wanted to know more.. I have a ton of emails

4) the game itself ran well and was rather fun...

I call it a Success all the way around..

As for ARG

1) a ton of new players

2) Many of them loved the system and ran down the next day to and pick up the books

3) Thank you to our GMs who ran their assess off for us.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:05 pm 

Congrats to you guys on both counts!

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:59 pm 

Thank you for the update, I was curious how that would go. It is always good to get new blood into the campaign.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:37 am 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
As many of you know by now we ran a 5e Arcanis "playtest" at GenCon...

3) every player I ran LOVED the world and wanted to know more.. I have a ton of emails

4) the game itself ran well and was rather fun...

I own the ARG and like it. However, with multiple GMs each with their own campaign we unfortunately don't have the time to master multiple systems.

I would love a 5th edition version of Arcanis. So what's the chance and time frame of releasing something that could be purchased?

Thanks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:20 am 

davout wrote:
I would love a 5th edition version of Arcanis. So what's the chance and time frame of releasing something that could be purchased?

I'm no one official, but I doubt you will see anything like this any time soon. PCI has a number of projects on the go right now which seem to be keeping them quite busy. Writing a 5e Arcanis setting document would probably be low on their 'To Do' list, if it is on there at all. Right now the primary focus appears to be on completing the Blessed Lands sourcebook, and there are a few other sourcebooks on the go (such as the Ssethregore book).

I may be wrong, but I think that the short-term plan had just been to convert a couple of modules over to 5e to entice some new players into trying the setting, in the hopes that they would then be willing to try the ARPG system (which seems to have a fair bit in common with the 5e ruleset, from what I've seen).

I know it is tough to get people to try different systems, but the ARPG ruleset does have a lot of positive things to say about it...and the setting itself is by far the most interesting one I've been involved in. I'd encourage you to keep trying to get your friends to give it a try.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:03 am 

Hello Davout,

davout wrote:

Funny you should ask.

While I don't have a firm answer for you, I am looking into that possibility. In fact, we're hopefully going to have another run of a 5E Arcanis campaign at Winter Fantasy 2016. This will allow me to gauge interest for a full blown campaign with a possible 5E version of Arcanis to run parallel to the ARG system and campaign.

More on this as I have more to report, but even if all goes great, it'll still be a while before such an animal exists.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:54 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:

... at Winter Fantasy 2016. ...

... it'll still be a while before such an animal exists.

Looks like if I decide to go this route I'll have to do conversions myself.

Thanks for the info Henry. Good Luck.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next