Last visit was: It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Arcanis clocks
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:37 pm 

Will there be Arcanis clocks (you know, for keeping track of ticks, strain, recovery) available at Origins?

Thanks.

Anoush val'Mehan, Sarishan Binder (3.9)
Valadriel Maethirion, Kio Duelist (2.5)
Irena val'Virdan, Priestess of Nier (2)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Arcanis clocks
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:45 pm 

I know last year someone made some and (I heard) was selling a few. As far as I know, official clocks haven't been available for quite a while.

I'm currently planning to pick up XCode 6(?) when iOS 8 comes out and plan to teach myself Swift (or possibly Objective-C) by writing a clock app (primarily aimed at GMs). Has anyone else thought about or actually written a clock app?

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:05 pm 

I've taken a swing at it before and there was a web app written, but I think required Internet Explorer. Mine I never could get the time to adequately implement it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:14 pm 

I wrote the clock app that runs in IE. While the core code is written in C# and could be fairly easily modified to be a stand-alone API, the UI was written using Microsoft Presentation Foundation, which uses XAML to define the UI, with a C# code-behind. At the time, I was teaching myself MPF and needed both an app to play with and a clock tool to help manage combats. So that's why I chose MPF. Had I known a little more about the technology, I would have gone with Silverlight. Silverlight still uses XAML, but is essentially browser independent. (more or less.)

Anyway, I've recently updated that app. It's much faster (i.e. fewer keystrokes needed) to use. And if you're interested in using it as a kernel for a mobile app, contact me off-list. If you've done any .NET development, it should be fairly easy to read the code. (I specify, "to read the code" because the interdynamics of the different clock types looks deceptively simple. It took me a bit longer than I had originally anticipated.)

Scott
p.s. I'll have my laptop at Origins. So I can show you the application and/or the code if you'll be there. You can contact me via my wife, Melinda or ask just about any of the campaign staff who I am. I expect to arrive Tuesday night, if all goes according to plan.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:52 pm 

The Master Clock

Here is a clock that I wrote it runs in the browser and once you load it as long as you dont reload the page you dont need any network connectivity. State is stored in the address bar.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:56 pm 

I added a new printable clock that uses counters for Speed strain, and recovery. I added all the speeds of standard manuvers and attacks to the bottom for easy reference.

I've printed 20 and had them laminated for new players in my demo games. I'm happy to share with folks at Arcanicon. If you want one for yourself just goto the Community Generated Content Thread and have it laminated. Should cost about $2.50 for lamination at staples or office depot.

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile