Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: list of all classes and prestige classes legal in LA?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:25 pm 

I'm playing at a convention and building my first Living Arcanis character, but have only recently been reading about Arcanis and 5e (though been gaming for decades).
I have purchased a ton of Living Arcanis material, as well as the 5e players guide. I downloaded some of the LA material describes what is a 'legal' LA character, but honestly some of the material seems to contradict itself (or might be old documentation?)
For instance, some of the documents don't list Wizards as a LA class, though the same document has a reference to Wizards.
I'm the kind of person who likes to see all my options before starting and I like to plan my character out to max level - even if I know I will never get there. I just can't see playing a character unless I know all my options and have an end-goal.

Can anyone point me to a list of every class and prestige class that is legal under Living Arcanis? Also, is there any kind of prestige class that allows you to be both a psionic and arcane caster (since arcane and divine seem to be prohibited - except Hedge Mage?).

Thanks
Mal

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: list of all classes and prestige classes legal in LA?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:04 pm 

Hello,

I'm not sure what you mean by prestige classes, as 5E doesn't use them any longer (that's a D20 artifact).

I would download the latest Living Arcanis Campaign documentation here: http://www.paradigmcampaigns.com/Campai ... aspx?cid=3

I believe you said you purchased the Arcanis 5E Campaign Setting. If so, then it has all of the basic classes and options legal for the campaign.

You may have downloaded the free Arcanis Primer, which has some material, but it was written before the Campaign Setting book was made, so some of the information may be outdated.

What convention will you be attending?

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:45 pm 

PCI_Henry,
The Big Frederick Gaming Convention BFGcon 2020!

So no prestige classes, but there are still additional classes you can multi-class into that have requirements, right?
The books listed to be legal are:
SRD-OGL version 5.1:
Arcanis: The World of Shattered Empires Campaign Setting: The Core Rulebook for Arcanis
Forged in Magic: Reforged
The Arcanis Primer
Children of the Sky [5E]:
Codex Geographica Vol. I: The Blessed Lands (5E):
Codex of Adventure, Vol. I [5E]:
Sorcerous Pacts [5E]:
But then it says that additional books will become legal as they come out. How do I know which additional books are legal (or available)?

The classes listed in the Campaign Setting only has:Cleric, Elder Sorcerer, Eldritch Sorcerer, Fighter, Fury, Holy Champion, Psion, Ranger, Rogue, Shaman. There is no Wizard? I swear there are references to the Wizard class in other supplements considered part of Living Arcanis, right?

Is there a wiki or something that lists all available classes and what book they can be found in? Or something that lists all supplements that are legal in Living Arcanis?

Thanks,
Mal

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:15 pm 

Hello,

No, there are no wizards because of setting reasons.

As to what books, I would look at the campaign document I mentioned, as they are all listed there.

There isn't a wiki to my knowledge.

If you're playing at a convention (you didn't mention which one), there may be pre-gens provided. There will be at all the events that we attend.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:55 pm 

PCI_Henry,
Thanks. Sorry I edited and put in the BFGCon 2020, but after you replied.
Yeah, I guess I get confused given that there are so many Arcanis supplements, but most don't seem to be legal in Living Arcanis.
And then the documentation for the Living Arcanis Primer the books that are legal, but then information in one book will contradict what another book says. For example, "only those details
listed in the SRD are legal in the Living Arcanis 5E Campaign," but the SRD lists all kinds of races and classes that don't conform to the Arcanis Campaign Setting. And the Primer is described as the reduced ruleset, but it has tons of stuff that doesn't seem to be legal.
I guess I should just read the campaign setting, and ignore the rest?

Thanks,
Mal

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:07 pm 

Hi Mal.

The single best resource is the 5e campaign guide. If you want to play a spell caster you will also need either the 5e Players Handbook or the SRD. You should be able to build your character from that. In 5e all classes will split into ‘archetypes” that have different fluff flavors and mechanical bennies. For example the Arcanis archetypes for Fighters are the Champion, the Myrmidon, the Pit Fighter, and the Tactician. Many archetypes are derived from old prestige classes. The PHB and/or 5e SRD. Will also cover key combat mechanics like movement in 5e, advantage (disadvantage), bonus actions and concentration.

Once you digest that then you can worry about other products.

Do not concern yourself with the Arcanis Primer. It’s dated and obsolete. I wish PCI would take it down.

Also be aware that other PCI products support ONE of 2 DIFFERENT rule sets. They have their own rule set (Arcanis the RPG) and Arcanis in 5e. So some thing like the Kio book has both a 5e and ARP version. Make sure you are getting the 5e versions.

Hope you enjoy the 5e campaign!

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:48 pm 

val Holryn,
Thanks I was not making the distinction between the Arcanis RPG and Arcanis 5e.
And I (luckily) purchased the Children of the Sky 5e.
AND I think I will be very happy with a val'Sungha Elder Arcanist Sorcerer. I just can't play an Elorii (elf), and REALLY prefer Elder Sorcery to Eldritch. The spell shaper tradition is the type of caster I typically prefer over elemental casters. Children of the Sky supplement gives me the option - besides having a nice cultural description of the people that I can get behind.

Thanks again,
Mal

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:16 am 

The pointy teeth homicidal xenophobes are not elves. Playing one as such will only result in character creation.

Have a good read of the Players Guide and hopefully you get to play in one of the Elorii-centic games soon. 8-)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:30 am 

Heh.

Naughty! :P Teasing the elorii players just gets some people stirred up. Besides Mal says he's heading over to the Kio. There are definitely three mods out there that are specifically/heavily elorii centric ... and that number will almost certainly grow. Xercel is due(ish) to show up again.

I share Mal's preference for the Elder caster as a class to the Eldritch. For me the Eldritch just doesn't know enough different spells to do everything I want an arcane caster to do at low or even mid levels. Meh. But that's me. I've never been a fan of the traditional D&D sorcerer. Elder is better but hard if you don't want to play an elorii.

Mal ... I went through my digital library and found the following additional products that add 5E archetypes/classes:
Codex Geographica: Ssethregore. FIGHTER: Drahken, Miliarius, Order of the Charred Steel, Plethorax, HOLY CHAMPION: Zealots of the Blackened Scale, RANGER: Harbinger. ALL SHAMAN paths and options. (some other options are opened up by special certs). These classes are all for Ss'ressen PCs (and other ssethrics)
Legio Lex Talionis. CLERIC: Inquisitor FIGHTER: Praefectus Inquisitorus PSION: Psionic Inquisitor (these classes are generally open to Mother Church (Coryani) characters).
Knightly Order of the Phoenix. FIGHTER: Knight of the Order of the Phoenix ... Milandesian PCs. Though I have to say mechanically that this build is just not well executed. For example there is no class feature for 7th level. And if you ever die after 15th level you essentially become a fighter without an archetype. Fluff? Amazing. Mechanically...not good.

...I believe you have everything else Mal.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:04 am 

As someone with a val'Sungha party member, might I recommend dropping a few levels into Sky Knight? You get some Armor Proficiency and you get to the ability to fly. Its really good if you want to avoid getting hit since your always 20-40' ft. of the ground at all times, and your mount will have an insane AC as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sigismund Jupiter val'Holryn von Tralia

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next