Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A Hatchling of Ven val'Sosi cert
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:24 pm 

Hey all, I just got my cert yesterday, Thanks I love it.
But I have a question that is not answered on the cert.
Does having this cert waive the racial requirement for the Awakened High Born variant Background?

My first thought was no, because the cert doesn't say so, and I'm not sure about Ss'ressen social structure. i.e. Do they have high born?
But as I look over the backgrounds in the Campaign Setting nothing else makes sense to me.
The Awakened High Born is the only background that deals with psionics.
It seems to me according to the story on the cert I had to spend a lot of time learning to control my powers in youth, as I was born awakened, rather than a Val who goes through the ceremony later in life. And I was trained with awakened Val in Milander.
If it doesn't waive the racial requirement, the only option I have is to use the customization rules and alter one of the other Backgrounds. I feel the Features don't match to the idea of being a rare Black Talon Ss'ressen, that spent his early years training with psionics.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: A Hatchling of Ven val'Sosi cert
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:24 pm 

I haven’t seen your cert, but barring an explicit exception or requirement I think you live by the rules everyone else does. Males do not generally have privelliged positions in Ssressen society. Being psionic carved out a new niche but does not make you highborn. HOWEVER...

The backgrounds are tools, not straight jackets. Pick something that appropriate. Obviously you won’t be laerestri... but if you want to be a former crusader/veteran. Or a diplomat to the Val Holryn’s court (or whatever) run with it. Rebel against your privileged status and be a artisan/Carpenter. ::shrug:: answer whoyour guy is and run with it and swap out the feature of another background for psionic memory if you want.

No one official but My 2 cents.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: A Hatchling of Ven val'Sosi cert
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:59 pm 

If you are interested the story on my cert it is located in the ARPG version of Ssethregore: In the Coils of Serpent Empire under the tile The Brood of Ven val'Sosi. It starts at the end of page 78 and ends in the middle of page 80.

I didn't realize you can swap Features between Backgrounds. I don't know why but I must have missed that sentence, but I found it now. (page 171, Customizing a Background, second sentence) That solves my problem. I found the other Features didn't fit well. I know ss'ressen males are lower tier citizens then females, so something like Diplomat with it's Feature felt like to much responsibility to give to a male, that is not the Warlord, but also I'm one of the few psionic Black Talons and I look different, so Features like Indistinguishably Common or Commoner didn't seem right either.
I guess sometimes you just need a second pair of eyes.
Thanks for you help Eric.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey