Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Legality of Flintlocks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:03 pm 

The A5eCG has sidebars (pp. 216, 172, 361) that explains that only noble vals are given adorned flintlock pistols in modern times. What I can't discern for certain is whether (a) are commoner vals allowed to bear unadorned flintlocks if they buy them? (b) are non-val nobles allowed to bear unadorned flintlocks if they buy them?

Are there any rules for buying black market guns and blastpowder? Can someone who is not legally allowed to buy flintlocks buy one on the black market at the same standard book price?

Does whatever rules exist in-game in this regard apply to the Legends ARPG campaign as well as the Living 5e campaign?

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Legality of Flintlocks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:53 am 

A tough question. As you note the side bar on pg 216 is a little ambiguous if ordinary nobles can buy/carry ordinary flintlocks. I am no one official. But I think its clear from the flavor text that flintlocks are more restricted in 5e. There is also this small note on the bottom of the weapons table.

5eACG Weapons Table pg 212-213 wrote:
†Commonly only Val or Heroes from the Republic of Altheria may buy and use legaly use flintlocks [sic].

From this I would *guess* that you cannot just buy a flintlock unless your PC falls into one of three groups: (A) noble vals or (B) Altherians or (C) clergy of Altheres. I would also assume that some powerful (NPC) nobles still have or use them. And I might guess that its possible through campaign play for a highborn PC to gain access to purchasing non-adorn flintlocks.

TMK this is different from the A:RPG campaign (where non-val nobles can buy non-adorned flintlocks). Again guessing...the systems are sufficiently different in how they handle the mechanics of the weapon, that different rules of access may be in place. In A:RPG flintlocks are astronomically (100x) more expensive than similar weapons and essentially worthless with out maxed out ranks in the skill Marksmanship which already limits a lot of players (you also want to be at least proficient with them...) That in itself guarantees the campaign isn't awash in them. By comparison in 5e they are simple weapons that only cost 4-8x as much as a sword. So some other restriction on their availability/desirability may make sense.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:38 am 

Remember only Val get ADORNED Flintlocks. It is illegal for Altherians and clergy of Althares to carry those, unless they are Val.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:36 pm 

Hawk Knight wrote:
Remember only Val get ADORNED Flintlocks. It is illegal for Altherians and clergy of Althares to carry those, unless they are Val.

Correct

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:28 am 

Hawk Knight wrote:

Yes. I think we all are clear on that.

But let's say you want to play a young (human) patrician from the Gracchi family. You take the high born background. The Gracchi are probably the most powerful human family in Coryan and certainly politically more powerful than some of the val families in the Coryani Empire.

Can this PC buy a regular flintlock? It's ambiguous.

(There was another question asked about a non-noble val later buying an adorned flintlock, and I think that's clear. You can't...they aren't listed on any table or chart as being for sale. You get *given* one. (Though if you take one as spoils off a dead val at some point the issue could come up about being legally able to keep it).

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey