Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Warped Ones & Gear
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:47 pm 

Does the gear worn and carried by Warped Ones enlarge with them? If yes do the weapons gain a die bump for becoming large? If no what happens to any armor worn? Just looked at this but didn’t see anything in the new book.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Warped Ones & Gear
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:53 pm 

The equipment should enlarge, it's the body that is being warped.

As for the armor, they should take it off before they "hulk-out".

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:24 am 

val Holryn wrote:
Does the gear worn and carried by Warped Ones enlarge with them? If yes do the weapons gain a die bump for becoming large? If no what happens to any armor worn? Just looked at this but didn’t see anything in the new book.

Twisted form (unlike the spell enlarge) specifically does not state that equipment increases in size with the Fury when they rage.

As barbarians have an Unarmored AC ability they can lean on, I never saw it as much of an issue.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:19 pm 

That’s what I thought. Though it’s not explicitly stated in the text.

Although barbarians do have an unarmored feature IME they end up with a better AC when they wear medium armor. As a potential judge I am all but positive that at some point i’ll have a warped one in armor “hulk out” without taking the time to remove armor.

What happens to the armor? Is it wrecked? Can it be repaired? Does a Warped One take damage from bursting through armor?

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:35 am 

val Holryn wrote:
That’s what I thought. Though it’s not explicitly stated in the text.

Although barbarians do have an unarmored feature IME they end up with a better AC when they wear medium armor. As a potential judge I am all but positive that at some point i’ll have a warped one in armor “hulk out” without taking the time to remove armor.

What happens to the armor? Is it wrecked? Can it be repaired? Does a Warped One take damage from bursting through armor?

I would handwave the buckles and snaps snapping as they change, allowing the player to have the armor repaired as a minor inconvenience, heck if they have proficiency in the right tools I would let them fix the armor as part of a long rest.

I can see some dwarf mumbeling how he has to carry extra stripes of leather and buckles because the damn Ying Hir can't keep his shirt on.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:31 pm 

Hi. I’m building a Warped One character and have a question about wielding two weapons while in Twisted Form. The text in the rulebook says:
Quote:
While you are in your enlarged form, your rage damage bonus is doubled. You can also wield two-handed weapons, even ones with the heavy property, in one hand. In addition, two-handed weapons without the heavy property and one-handed weapons with the versatile property have the light property while you wield them in your enlarged form.

However, you suffer disadvantage on attack rolls with weapons that would normally be one-handed or that normally have the light property.

The text here seems pretty clear that a Warped One in enlarged form could use two 1-handed versatile weapons (say, longswords) to engage in two-weapon fighting, but that doing so would have disadvantage on every roll, since the longsword does not have the two-handed property and thus would “normally be one-handed.”

Am I interpreting this correctly? Is the disadvantage only supposed to be for 1-handed weapons without the versatile property? It doesn’t explicitly say so, so I’m assuming it’s supposed to disadvantage all 1-handed weapons.

Warped Ones gain the Two Weapon Fighting style at 3rd level, but a strict reading of the text here implies that they would always get disadvantage on one or both of their rolls unless they are wielding two greatclubs or two spiked chains, which are the only 2-hand melee weapons without the heavy property that I see in the core rulebook. (The optional dual wielding rule on p.215 suggests that a Warped One in twisted form could use a 2-handed heavy weapon in their main hand, but the rule specifies that the off-hand must attack with only a dagger or club, both of which get disadvantage while in twisted form.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:38 pm 

Sorry, I should have specified above that this is for 5e.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:29 pm 

Looks correct. 5e rules also can't be looked at in isolation.

You also need to consider your Reckless Attack ability at the same time. Reckless Attack + Arcanis TWF = Advantage on primary hand (greatsword), normal attack on secondary hand (dagger or club); OR normal attacks for both weapons (any other off-hand weapon).

You can take the Red Sword Fencing School: Two Blades at Level 4 to get advantage on both (and the ability to use identical weapons in both hands.

A Fury can't get everything for 'free' without a price.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:13 pm 

Thanks for the response. Do you know if that is the rationale underlying the rule, or is that an inference given how the rule is written?

I guess your take on it does scan with how the rule is written. It just seems counterintuitive to me that the warped one in enlarged form essentially has the choice of either disadvantage on attacks when using one class feature (two-weapon fighting) or trying to avoid that penalty by giving enemies advantage on their attacks through another (reckless attack). Seems like the safest route is to use two-weapon fighting or twisted form, but not both at the same time.

I can see your point, but respectfully I don’t think any class feature is getting stuff for “free.” The opportunity cost is not being able to select the features of other class choices. Plus, the twisted form damage bonus already requires a level of exhaustion afterwards, so not without cost.

Anyway, I appreciate the comments. Gives me something to think about for character creation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:40 pm 

Southernskies wrote:
Looks correct. 5e rules also can't be looked at in isolation.

Not sure I agree. There are 1-h weapons that do not have the Versatile property, those *do* get the disadvantage. But 1-h with the Versatile property can be wielded 2-handed (in turn which Warped One in Twisted Form can then again use 1-h), I do not believe they'll get the disadvantage for using Versatile weapons this way.

Southernskies wrote:
You also need to consider your Reckless Attack ability at the same time. Reckless Attack + Arcanis TWF = Advantage on primary hand (greatsword), normal attack on secondary hand (dagger or club); OR normal attacks for both weapons (any other off-hand weapon).

Although they could make use of Dual-weapon fighting, their offhand attack would be at a disadvantage due to use of a Dagger.

Southernskies wrote:
You can take the Red Sword Fencing School: Two Blades at Level 4 to get advantage on both (and the ability to use identical weapons in both hands.

One can also create their own Personal Combat Style and pick Balanced Hands as one of the Techniques.

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next