Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Pugilist Combat Style
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:02 pm 

toodeep wrote:
My question is whether a TWF unarmed fighter could take advantage of the new defensive dualist combat style offered in the primer as well as the duel wielder feat, since the second hand is both "completely free" and a weapon.

Pugilist (style) does *not* make your unarmed strike a "weapon", so couldn't benefit from Dual Wielder (feat) (or most other TWF style/feat options). An actual weapon is required.

Defensive Duelist (style) will work if you have an actual weapon in your primary hand (cestus, dagger, gladius etc) and you use Pugilist (style) for the offhand. However, you will need to be a 10th level Fighter (Champion) to get the second style.
This is an issue for most of the obvious 'good' combinations.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:09 pm 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
you gain your full strength bonus on all your unarmed attacks, even the bonus attack you gain from the Puglist feat.

Which does make an interesting variation for greatsword wielders; great weapon fighting (style) or pugilist (style)?
As Strength builds already, the bonus attack is quite nice at lower levels with a 'break-even' point at Fighter 11 (when the 3rd attack arrives). Combine with Champion archetype for bonus fun.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:50 pm 

Note that being 10th lvl Champion is not the only way to get a second fighting style. Multiclassing as a Ranger or a Paladin (or possibly a Holy Champion) will also give you one at 2nd lvl of said class.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:59 pm 

So continuing on this vein. If I use a worn weapon to make an attack is that attack considered a melee weapon attack? I ask for the purposes of Divine Smite, which says "when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:34 pm 

Worn 'weapons' are still weapons... Note that they do take up a hand (or tail for Ss'ressen).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:12 am 

The Pugilist style allows you to add your ability modifier to both attacks. The intent is to change your unarmed strike from 1 + ability modifier to 1d4 + ability modifier, or 1d6 + ability modifier if you have Tavern Brawler. Since the bonus action attack is also an unarmed strike it works the same way.

The cestus is a very interesting question. I don't want to make an official ruling on it just yet, but let me see if I can clarify the points being made.

If you are wearing a cestus, it changes your unarmed strike damage. In essence, it's like the first half of the pugilist style. The cestus is versatile, so you can change the type of damage as well.

Logically, if you have the pugilist style and are wearing a cestus, your unarmed strike stays the same, 1d4+ability, with the option to change damage type. If you have the Tavern Brawler feat, your unarmed strike is 1d6 + ability modifier, with the option to change damage type.

Whether or not the cestus turns your unarmed strike into a weapon attack is a big can of worms. My first instinct is to say it doesn't, that it is just an unarmed strike. That means we need to move it out of the weapons chart. But I will check on that and update the primer if necessary.

Kailandos, Keeper of the Word and Soldier of Retribution

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2