Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Legionnaire Armors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:27 pm 

May I also suggest that Dark Kin Horn Attack at the end of a move be a bonus action. This will put it in line with similar abilities in 5e. Otherwise it's stepping on toes of the Charger feat and makes it too powerful. Also how does it interact with monk abilities? Can Dark Kin monks make their unarmed attacks with them? If so then that damage needs to scale properly. D6 at first level is too much, but at 11th lvl too little.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:36 pm 

Also just noticed equipment problem similar to Legionnaires with Holy Champions. Chain Mail is HEAVY Armor in 5e. Holy Champion with medium armor proficiency should start with Scale Mail (or possibly Lorica Hamata, depending on their god/nationality).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:44 pm 

Quote:
Otherwise it's stepping on toes of the Charger feat

Please note that the Charger feat is not part of the SRD, so it will probably go away.

As for the power of the feat, it allows someone with a dash as a bonus action to get some more mileage from their horns.

Lucas

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:54 pm 

Paldaris wrote:
Quote:
Otherwise it's stepping on toes of the Charger feat

Please note that the Charger feat is not part of the SRD, so it will probably go away.

As for the power of the feat, it allows someone with a dash as a bonus action to get some more mileage from their horns.

Lucas

Wow. I never noticed that. SRD has some weird exclusions. As for mileage from the Horns it seems to break action economy to be able to use them that way. ESPECIALLY Dash AND attack as a bonus action.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:29 pm 

Quote:
Wow. I never noticed that. SRD has some weird exclusions.

Actually, the only feat in the SRD is Grappler. The guys at PCI have to come up with all new ones. (Not worried.)

Crazy, from my point of view, is that the Warlock spell Hex, is not in the SRD. Weird.

Lucas

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:07 pm 

Paldaris wrote:
Actually, the only feat in the SRD is Grappler. The guys at PCI have to come up with all new ones. (Not worried.)

Crazy, from my point of view, is that the Warlock spell Hex, is not in the SRD. Weird.

Lucas

WotC learned from the 3.0/3.5 SRD not to include too much as it impacts sales a bit and resulted in the explosion of OGL 'fly by night' publications that didn't add anything useful.

Note that the Campaign Document does allow:
Quote:
Additional Material
• The 5th edition players’ handbook: The 5th edition players’ handbook is available for use in the Living Arcanis campaign modified as per this document and the Arcanis Primer.

There is a lot of basic abilities and feats that just can't be reprinted without OGL problems.

*Players* can use it, but it won't appear in statblocks etc due to the OGL restrictions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:53 am 

Hawk Knight wrote:
May I also suggest that Dark Kin Horn Attack at the end of a move be a bonus action. This will put it in line with similar abilities in 5e. Otherwise it's stepping on toes of the Charger feat and makes it too powerful. Also how does it interact with monk abilities? Can Dark Kin monks make their unarmed attacks with them? If so then that damage needs to scale properly. D6 at first level is too much, but at 11th lvl too little.

As others have pointed out, only a very small handful of feats are allowed in the SRD. All the other ones are available as choices in the Living Arcanis campaign, but we can't print them or make reference to them in our Arcanis 5e products.

Horns are meant to be a replacement for the regular unarmed strike everyone has. A regular unarmed strike deals 1 + STR bludgeoning damage and everyone is proficient with their unarmed strikes. The horns deal 1d8 + STR piercing damage instead; they are a replacement effect. Anything that interacts with unarmed strikes, like the monk's Martial Arts feature works with the horns.

Let's look at Martial Arts. It says:

Martial Arts
At 1st level, your practice of martial arts gives you mastery of combat styles that use unarmed strikes and monk weapons, which are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don’t have the two- handed or heavy property.

You gain the following benefits while you are unarmed or wielding only monk weapons and you aren’t wearing armor or wielding a shield:

You can use Dexterity instead of Strength for the attack and damage rolls of your unarmed strikes and monk weapons.
Since the horns are unarmed strikes, you can use Dex instead of Str for damage and attack.
You can roll a d4 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike or monk weapon. This die changes as you gain monk levels, as shown in the Martial Arts column of Table: The Monk.
Since the horns are unarmed strikes, they have a 1d8 damage die right out the gate. You can choose to use the die from the table, but it doesn't become better than a d8 until 17th level.
When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action. For example, if you take the Attack action and attack with a quarterstaff, you can also make an unarmed strike as a bonus action, assuming you haven’t already taken a bonus action this turn.
As long as you are taking the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon you can make an unarmed strike with your horns as a bonus action.
Certain monasteries use specialized forms of the monk weapons. For example, you might use a club that is two lengths of wood connected by a short chain (called a nunchaku) or a sickle with a shorter, straighter blade (called a kama). Whatever name you use for a monk weapon, you can use the game statistics provided for the weapon.

Kailandos, Keeper of the Word and Soldier of Retribution

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:37 pm 

Just to point out that latest Primer has horns dealing d6, not d8 dmg. I think that is a lot more inline with 5e rules actually, but whatever.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:29 pm 

Hawk Knight wrote:
Just to point out that latest Primer has horns dealing d6, not d8 dmg. I think that is a lot more inline with 5e rules actually, but whatever.

Ah, I must have missed that in the update, my apologies! d6 is better anyway, as you say.

Kailandos, Keeper of the Word and Soldier of Retribution

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:35 pm 

Paldaris wrote:
Quote:
Wow. I never noticed that. SRD has some weird exclusions.

Lucas

:::looks at the feats section for the player's book:::

so far at 40 feats and I have not started on combat schools yet

just saying

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next