Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Umm...is it just me or does this seam broken?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:13 pm 

It's an interesting idea Eric but it doesn't quite work the way you have laid it out. You can only take a feat when you get the Ability Score Improvement feature in a specific class. So feats or ASI is based on class level, not character level. You would need to have 4 levels in bard to take Medium Armor
Mastery. You'd be able to cast shield while wielding a shield (ba-dump tish) as long as you have nothing in your other hand except a musical instrument, which bards can use as a focus.

So yes, a hyena-man can run up to your bard and bounce off your 25 AC. But unless you deal with the threat in your face your going to have an opponent in melee with no weapons in hand and just spells. And you can't do that forever, you only have 7 spell slots. And shield only provides the bonus for 1 round. So while you are turtling you can use your action to pass out inspiration dice or make an unarmed strike. You've limited your options quite a lot and your saving throws are probably where you are weakest.

Is it an effective tactic? Absolutely! Does it merit any worry from GM's? I don't think so.

Kailandos, Keeper of the Word and Soldier of Retribution

Last edited by Auroris on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:33 pm 

Auroris wrote:
And shield only provides +5 ac to the attack that triggered the reaction; you have AC 20 for everyone else. So all of the hyena-man's friends that ran up with it stand a better chance of hitting you.

All attacks until your next action, but that just means the rest of the enemies ignore him for the turn.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:08 pm 

Southernskies wrote:
Auroris wrote:
And shield only provides +5 ac to the attack that triggered the reaction; you have AC 20 for everyone else. So all of the hyena-man's friends that ran up with it stand a better chance of hitting you.

All attacks until your next action, but that just means the rest of the enemies ignore him for the turn.

Indeed it does! And I edited my post to fix that detail. Thank ya !

Kailandos, Keeper of the Word and Soldier of Retribution

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:25 pm 

I know this is not broken because there are not dozens of Bard/Wizards running around in AL. In fact there are almost no Valor bards since that's more of a role-playing option and vast majority of Bards in AL are Lore Bards.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:04 am 

Hawk Knight wrote:
I know this is not broken because there are not dozens of Bard/Wizards running around in AL. In fact there are almost no Valor bards since that's more of a role-playing option and vast majority of Bards in AL are Lore Bards.

The AL version of this is the Mountain Dwarf Wizard. The level of Bard in this instance was to get the armor proficiency without sacrificing spell progression.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:57 pm 

FGJustice wrote:
Hawk Knight wrote:

The AL version of this is the Mountain Dwarf Wizard. The level of Bard in this instance was to get the armor proficiency without sacrificing spell progression.

1 level of bard will only give light armor and shield proficiency and then you are a level behind on gaining higher level spells. To get medium armor you need 3 levels of Bard. At that point why bother with wizard levels at all?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:15 am 

Auroris wrote:
... You would need to have 4 levels in bard to take Medium Armor
Mastery ...

That or elect going to the Bardic College of Valor at lv. 3, which grants Med. Armor proficiency as a boon.

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:54 pm 

EddieS wrote:
Auroris wrote:
... You would need to have 4 levels in bard to take Medium Armor
Mastery ...

That or elect going to the Bardic College of Valor at lv. 3, which grants Med. Armor proficiency as a boon.

I said that in post right above yours. LOL :P)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2