Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Order of Charred Steel Questions
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:59 pm 

So many questions on my part. Probably because I have nothing to do:

1. Due to the social stigma of Shamanism in Milandir, would a Black Talon Ss'ressen who heard the call of Jeggal Sag be stripped of their knighthood?

2. What is the heraldry of the Order?

3. Is there a Grandmaster of the Order?

4. Does the Order possess any holdings and/or chapter houses?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sigismund Jupiter val'Holryn von Tralia

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Order of Charred Steel Questions
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:09 am 

vandom43 wrote:
So many questions on my part. Probably because I have nothing to do:

1. Due to the social stigma of Shamanism in Milandir, would a Black Talon Ss'ressen who heard the call of Jeggal Sag be stripped of their knighthood?

2. What is the heraldry of the Order?

3. Is there a Grandmaster of the Order?

4. Does the Order possess any holdings and/or chapter houses?

1a. The only knighthood a Black Talons can currently join is the the Order of Charred Steel. That Knightly Order exists in large part as a bridge between the ss'ressen and the outside world (Milandir). And you join by taking the Fighter Archetype. So I think as a concept, its a little weird to be dipping into the Shaman class of the demi-power who has dominion over beasts. Your fighter archetype is about civilization. Your Shaman archetype is rooted in the wild. That said, if you like a PC who is pulled in two directions and fundamentally is conflicted, then there is nothing in the rules to prevent you from making such a PC. By design the Fighter Archetype makes you knight. To loose your knighthood you would need to loose your archetype. There is nothing in the class that says this happens..

1b. Can this PC have the Knight Aspirant or Knight Errant background? No, not really. The only Ss'ressen who can take this background are the ones in the Order of Charred Steel. The background is primarily written for "human" Milandesians and appears in the Order of the Phoenix book. The feature's description says that if you ever gain levels in Shaman then "they" strip you go your knighthood... i.e. if you were an aspirant towards an Order they say "no thank you" OR if you are a relatively lowly Knight Errant of no Order then they say "you know what, we'll take those spurs back." If you gain Shaman levels then you have to choose a new feature.

1c. So how do you square 1a & 1b? If you are a fighter of the archetype of the Order of Charred Steel then you are a knight by virtue of the class. If you also had the Knight Aspirant background then you loose the feature by becoming a Shaman and have to replace it with something else. As it says. My Opinion: You are still a knight. You have the fighter class and archetype. BUT no human who knows about you in Milandir willing treats you like one. Wits make fun of you. Bullies try to pick on you. And the situation probably causes headaches for officers in the Sulfer Marsh and Tralia. Expect to spend a lot of time hidden in the back row during formal events and/or tending to the Order's mounts...

2. No idea. Since its the Order of Charred Steel and their signature look is lizard men in charred armor its entirely possible that they just have some variation of a dark grey field as their code of arms. Some variation of the Fire Dragon would also make sense. Henry?

3. They certainly have a military commander of the order. Beyond that we don't know. It's not immediately clear what they call him (or her). Depending on the size of the Order of Charred Steel I would assume that their commander is either a Taghas (if its larger) or Gazichk (if its smaller)...in function if not in name. The humans may refer to this person as the Grandmaster of the Order. It's also possible the Warlord assumes the duty as Grandmaster for ceremonial purposes, but that someone else actually runs it. One interesting idea is if a female runs the Order. Probably the Order is led by a male because fighting is the under the male half of the division of labor. But one can see why the ruling clerics might want a trusted female to keep an eye on the Order of Charred Steel to limit any foreign ideas the lads might pick up.

4. None are listed. Given the communal nature of the Black Talons it seems unlikely to me that they have significant holdings. Though they train at Tralia so they must have some kind of housing there.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey