Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 5E questions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:01 pm 

Hey Everyone,

I have been played LA several years ago and have picked up the 5E version. I have some questions that were not covered in the Campaign Guide and don't know where else to turn for answers. Here are my questions:

1. Are there flintlock modification like breach-loading or double barrel in this edition?

2. Can Val feel or detect how strong another Val's blood-rank is? Can Elorii?

3. How much does it cost to use a Portal of Anshar, assuming you are not val'Inares or one of Anshar's faithful?

4.Can you take blast powder through a Portal of Anshar?

5. Can all dark-kin go Path of the Warped One or just those from the Hinterlands (The wording, which is probably correct, on page 104 was confusing?

Thanks,

Brian

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 5E questions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:08 pm 

Hello,

1) Currently there are no rules in the core rules and no intention to add them. They would not be common in universe, but it is always possible options may present themselves in adventures to receive unique equipment or items.

2) While many people roleplay it as such, there are no mechanics in 5e to do this so the answer is "no." The closest effect to what you describe is in the ARG rules set where vals get bonuses with their "lessers" but those rules are rarely used and in the current edition not well described.

3) this informationis not in the LARC but I believe costs have been stated in an adventure. The current rules tend to support a "however much the plot of the adventure demands" until and if it is codified in the LARC.

4) previous version have allowed 10 shots per PC. I am not sure if this is codified in the current LARC.

5) per the wording, it appears you need to be from the Hinterlands. The Warped on is a cultural practice of groups like the Yhing hir so you would not see a Coryani Warped One who just happens to be a dark kin, just because they are a dark kin.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:35 pm 

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:42 am 

+1 to all Cody's responses.

But I would note on your second question that there is also a spell (Rebuke your lessers?) in the ARP ruleset that causes lower BR val to kneel (prone). So that concept is still current to the modern campaign. Even though the 5E rules do not have a mechanic for it, as a RP matter I believe vals can tell their relative BR when they meet. Elorri are on a parallel track and I don't believe they would be able to tell much about vals. But I believe (probably) elorii can tell when they meet each other. More certain within their own Bloodlines.

My two cents

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey