Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New to Arcanis
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:10 am 

Hey team!

I've just discovered Arcanis and living arcanis, so I was wondering if any of you can help me out with a couple things.

1) What PDFs or books are good to get beyond the arcanis campaign setting and the living campaign primer?
2) I can see a back log of adventure content, but what is the release cadence for new living arcanis content?
3) What is the newest Arcanis storyline?
4) Any tips for a budding arcanis player looking to start their own group and get into the campaign?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: New to Arcanis
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:48 am 

Hey there - and welcome!

(1) If you are just looking to play in the living campaign the book you want next is the Blessed Lands which describes the First City where much of the Living Campaign takes place. If you have a lot of interest in the Elorii you might want Sorcerous Pacts. If you are instead a Kio-phile you want Children of the Sky.

FYI!!! In each case make sure you order the book with the 5e rules set. The campaign also runs in its own rules set (Arcanis: the Roleplaying game ... some times called ARP) which has the same fluff, but different crunch. These book exists in both rules. The 5E books all have 5E prominently on the covers.

(2) Sadly I have to answer ... really slow. This is, IMO, the greatest problem the campaign has struggled with for the last 4 years. Probably 6 mods per year at present.

(3) Arcanis meta plots go forward in "Arcs." The current Arc is called War of the Paragons. In the 5E rule set there are two Arcs. The Coming of the Destroyer & WotP. Some Introduction mods may be separate from the two arcs.

(4) I would sell the campaign play as geared towards a more adult audience. Not necessarily in a grim or gritty rated R kind of way. But in a way that supports PCs having a point of view and having to wrestle with what is "the right thing to do." You will almost never be sent to kill orcs and take their gold. (Cause you know, the Orcs are evil and ugly). Instead you'll start feeling undercurrents from powerful NPCs who are trying to put their fingers on the scales of (in)justice or commerce. Or be sent after a McGuffin and discover that three different Senators and a foreign country all have a stake/interest in the outcome. Often your missions will have consequences to these different factions. Who do you want to support?

As far as building a PC...number 1, I would build a hero who has a point of view. If I'm a cleric of Belisarda and I adventure with a Black Talon Ss'ressen ranger - there's some powerful history there that is relevant to how we interact. Its not just that i'm the "healer" and the other is the "scout." Against that you should, IMO, balance that viewpoint with the ability to work "across aisles" with characters of different viewpoints. Mechanically, your PC should be able to pull their own weight in a fight...no surprise there. Some Arcanis fights are ... rough. 5e, IMO, has decent balance between class so that's a plus.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:59 am 

Hello and welcome to the campaign!

Besides everything Eric mentioned above, I recommend first selecting the rule set you are most comfortable with and enjoy. We publish Arcanis in two different rule sets - the Arcanis Role-playing Game (ARG) and a 5E variant.

We release adventures for the 5E Organized Play Campaign (Living Arcanis 5E) at a rate of 2/month (with the exception of February) until we catch up releasing the back log of adventures.

Legends of Arcanis (ARG) are released at a slightly less speed as all of the Coming of the Destroyer arc has already been released.

As Eric mentioned, the Organized Play campaign stories are released in STORY ARCs. The Coming of the Destroyer arc leads directly into the War of the Paragons arc, which is the current story line.

If you use Facebook, there are two very active Facebook Groups that you might enjoy.

One for just setting questions and information:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6431691 ... =bookmarks

The second specifically for Organized Play and rule's question posts.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6431691 ... =bookmarks

Enjoy!

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:51 pm 

Thanks for the response!

Does ARP and 5e cover the same adventures in different rules sets, or is there different arcs in the same world?

Where can I find a list of the 5e adventures published? I went to the living paradigms website but it didn't have adventures published after 2016. I'd like to get a feel for the content schedule so I can organise local events at the same cadence.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:14 pm 

In response to your first question, ARG and 5E have the same adventures, although there are currently more ARG modules available as they are still working to convert a bunch to 5E.

As a long time D&D player (mostly 3.0 and 3.5), I personally prefer the ARG ruleset. It takes a little while to get accustomed to the rules, but a clock-based combat makes a lot more sense to me than turn-based, and character creation in ARG allows for some truly unique characters. I would suggest giving it a try!

There are a bunch of 5E Arcanis modules at Drivethrurpg and RPGNow, that would be your best bet.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:47 pm 

Hello,

TheNephilim wrote:
Where can I find a list of the 5e adventures published?

Akira answered your first question. As for a list of adventures, go to RPGNow.com and search for Living Arcanis 5E for the 5E Organized Play campaign adventures or Legends of Arcanis for the ARG Organized Play campaign adventures.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey