Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: 5e 4th level leveling cert
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:02 pm 

Yes you can apply it to a character after a few intro adventures to jump to level 4.

Though this will make the character ineligible to play the rest of the Introductory adventures.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:54 pm 

Thank you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:11 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
Yes you can apply it to a character after a few intro adventures to jump to level 4.

Though this will make the character ineligible to play the rest of the Introductory adventures.

I know this is an old thread, but a question just came up among my game group regarding the 4th level advancement cert:

The 4th level cert can be used to advance a character that has already played some but not all of the introductory adventures; doing so makes the character ineligible to go back and play any more introductory adventures. We understand that. Here's the question, though:

If such a character uses the cert to advance from, say, 3rd level to 4th level in order to begin the campaign, does that character lose all of the equipment, fame, story rewards, etc. that they earned by playing in the introductory modules?

Context: We're trying to assemble an online group to start the second season campaign. Everyone has a 3rd level character that was advanced in gameplay, each having completed four to six of the eight introductory modules over the last few months. Everyone has completed a different mix of the modules, though, so we're having a hard time getting everyone to 4th without re-running all of the adventures over again. We'd like to use the 4th level cert for everyone to bump up at the same time, so that we can start the campaign proper, but some folks assert that doing so would make everyone lose all of the equipment and other story rewards that they have earned thus far.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:35 pm 

ximonk wrote:
Here's the question, though:

If such a character uses the cert to advance from, say, 3rd level to 4th level in order to begin the campaign, does that character lose all of the equipment, fame, story rewards, etc. that they earned by playing in the introductory modules?

The issue is that the cert also grants the following:

- An additional 500gp for character creation beyond your starting gold/equipment
- 2 potions of healing

So, allowing characters to keep the what they've earned previously AND receive the above noted benefits would be unfair to others.

My instinct is to say you can either give up whatever you've earned (as far as items/gold) through game play and receive the above items OR keep what you've earned this far in play and NOT receive the above items.

However, I don't like to make rulings on the fly, so I will bring this up on Thursday at the next PCI Staff Meeting and issue a ruling soon after.

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

Best,

Henry Lopez

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:05 pm 

PCIHenry wrote:
However, I don't like to make rulings on the fly, so I will bring this up on Thursday at the next PCI Staff Meeting and issue a ruling soon after.

Thanks. I appreciate you all giving some thought to this. We want to make sure that we're following the rules but are not enthusiastic about the idea of abandoning all our past effort.

If everything resets when the 4th level cert is applied, then the incentives for introductory play become difficult. That would imply that, if you can't successfully participate in all 8 introductory adventures needed to reach 4th level, then you are just as well off not doing any of them.

However, it does seem excessive to get a 500 gp windfall from the 4th level cert if the character is only, say, 300XP from 4th level already. On the other hand, a character who has done a few intro adventures but who is on the lower end of the XP scale would probably still need the at least some of the gold and healing from the cert to hold their own with PCs who advanced to 4th wholly through gameplay.

Perhaps there is some way to scale the 4th level cert, depending on the current XP of the character to which it's applied? Or to credit the gold awarded based on the value of the character's current gear? Just brainstorming here.

Anyway, thanks for considering this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:22 pm 

Pretty sure on the ARP side there was a Tier 1.5 cert that allowed you to either keep what you had or take a lump of cash. For the current Tier 3.0 leveling cert in ARP (to jump in to the War of Paragons) it is definitely bifurcated. Brand new characters get a lump of cash. Old characters who have done some mods but aren't playable at Tier 3 can keep their stuff, but get no cash.

Same principle, but apparently different language on the certs with the 5e rule set.

My opinion: Players should be able to EITHER level up their existing PCs to 4, keeping their certed goodies, but getting no cash or potions. OR they can rebuild their character at level 4 w/ the chunk of cash and potions but no old certs.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:39 am 

The ARG 1.5 cert was the same issue with the wording.

I've only just managed to get my secondary PC up to T1.6 (the hard way via play/volunteer) so she could keep her Sarishan Steel weapon from the Crusade.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:37 am 

PCIHenry wrote:
I will bring this up on Thursday at the next PCI Staff Meeting and issue a ruling soon after.

Hi. Any new development on this question? Did the PCI staff have a chance to discuss?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:55 am 

ximonk wrote:
Hi. Any new development on this question? Did the PCI staff have a chance to discuss?

We did and are editing the cert. I hope to be able to release it next week.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:05 am 

Thanks! I’m looking forward to seeing it.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2