Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Availability of Raise Dead
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:25 am 

This hasn't come up in a game yet, Praise the Pantheon, but currently the Campaign rules and module boiler plates do not list Raise Dead among the available spells to be purchased at temples. This is eventually going to be a big problem as the campaign reaches higher and higher levels. A 5th level character is a big time investment, and having to literally replay every module to get back to 5th level after an unfortunate demise is likely to dissuade players a bit. I know that character wealth is quite low, but a table with an Acolyte background PC can probably pool its resources for the 500gp material component. Ergo I think that Raise Dead should be an option listed just in case the inevitable occurs.

5e character:
Ser Heidi val'Tensen, AKA Ser Adelheidis Sigrid val'Tensen of Moratavia

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Availability of Raise Dead
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:29 pm 

The ARG system has no raise dead spell or equivalent. I agree that some sort of mechanism to decrease the risk of death in 5e to put it more on the same page as ARG would make sense, though that wouldn't have to be raise dead/resurrection.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:44 pm 

The d20 campaign had raise dead... I had no idea that that would have been removed from the setting. But really, ARG and 5e aren't the same system, so one should be able to have things available that the other doesn't - the currency isn't even the same. I wouldn't think it would be bad to have Raise Dead available anyway - it still has the 'within 24 hours' limitation from the d20 campaign.

I remember in a module (again, d20 campaign) going to Beltine's Cauldron to rescue a soul... without some sort of raise-dead in the setting, that wouldn't have worked out so well.

5e character:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:51 pm 

While we are looking at added options for the spellcasting at temples, shouldn't Sarishian Sorcerer-Priests be eligible for a benefit similar to divine casters? They are the clergy for their god, just as clerics are for the others.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:54 pm 

I'm pretty sure that the only benefit is linked yo the Acolyte background feature - which is just as applicable to a sorcerer priest as it is to a divine caster, but I could have missed something.

5e character:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:39 pm 

At least they should keep Revivify, Raise Dead within a minute. I know my character keeps a 300 gp coin on his body for such eventuality.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:58 pm 

I always have that prepared... but not every table has a cleric, and saving a spell slot kinda hurts when you never get more than a few of each level.

5e character:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:27 pm 

Heidi val'Tensen wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the only benefit is linked yo the Acolyte background feature - which is just as applicable to a sorcerer priest as it is to a divine caster, but I could have missed something.

The Living Arcanis Campaign Guide references "Acolyte or Divine caster."

Sure, a Sorcerer-Priest could take Acolyte, but since they also include divine caster a special mention for Sorcerer-Priests may also be warranted as they are also clergy.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:40 pm 

Huh, I didn't catch that part... kinda makes acolyte on a cleric feel less like a good choice lol

5e character:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:11 pm 

Heidi val'Tensen wrote:
The d20 campaign had raise dead... I had no idea that that would have been removed from the setting. But really, ARG and 5e aren't the same system, so one should be able to have things available that the other doesn't - the currency isn't even the same. I wouldn't think it would be bad to have Raise Dead available anyway - it still has the 'within 24 hours' limitation from the d20 campaign.

I remember in a module (again, d20 campaign) going to Beltine's Cauldron to rescue a soul... without some sort of raise-dead in the setting, that wouldn't have worked out so well.

My comment wasn't that raise dead/resurrection etc. couldn't be in the system, just wouldn't have to be the way to address the death concern. I also recall a lot of people who got unhappy if they only got a raise dead or resurrection vs. a true res as they lost experience compared to others.

I understand there will be differences driven by the mechanics and the early and easy availability of spells such as fly on the 5e side by level 5 that aren't replicated until Tier 3 - say roughly 9th level equivalent, and even then only to a very limited subset of characters.

PCI has committed to keeping the adventures the same for both game systems. It will make for some interesting decisions/choices on how to challenge the players.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next