Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fighter -Tactition seams weak.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:01 am 

I was comparing the Fighter Tactition Archtype to the Battle Master Archtype. I can't see a reason to take Tactition over Battle Master. Battle Master Refreshes on short rests, has a higher base die, and does not hinge on a non-combat ability score. By comparison, Tactition refreshs on only a long rest, has a d6 base die, and requires investment in INT to be effective. I understand that there is a tempation to not impeed on the Valor Bard, but the bard gets spell casting that the Tactition does not.

Does anybody else have comments on the Tactition Archtype presented in the primer.

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Fighter -Tactition seams weak.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:25 pm 

IF Command Dice would refresh every short rest like Superiority Dice, and it offered a flat four such dice, then this would be competative with the other classes. Otherwise a combat buffer, is clearly advantaged to the Valor Bard, even if the Bard never casts a spell for fear of harvesters.

But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:32 pm 

Point of order...

Command Dice and Tactical Points are both recovered on a short rest..

"You possess a number of Command Dice equal to your
Intelligence modifier (a minimum of 1). You regain all
Command Dice when you finish a short rest."

and

Upon reaching 3rd level you gain 3 tactical points to
spend on Tactical Maneuvers. You gain an additional tactical
point upon reaching 7th, 10th, and 15th level in the fighter
class. You regain all Tactical Points after completing a short
rest

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:19 pm 

HOODYHO!

I just rechecked my copy of the Primier shows long rest. I think it is the most current one. But perhaps not. Anyhow, that they both refresh on a short rest is a major improvment that makes the class far more worth while.

Pedro, can you check the current primer for accuracy?

Also, can a Command Die, and Superiority Die, and a Inspiration die be all used on the same roll? Or is it something that is limited by stacking?

Thanks!

Eric

But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:23 pm 

(Nobody official who can make final statements about the 5e rules)

I can find nothing in 5e which would prevent these dice from being used simultaneously in themselves, but some of the effects might not interact well. Near as my personal understanding of how 5e stacks, is any +x bonus stacks, and any X+Y bonus does not (ie: a +3 to hit vs. a 12+Dex to AC).

I could be wrong, and even if 5e allows it, there is no guarantee that the final version of 5eSRD Arcanis will (though if something is legal in 5e, it it reasonable to assume it would cross over).

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:39 pm 

Yes they can all stack

Also I will need to check the current primer I can download and make sure the updated one is the one on the site

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:00 pm 

Having worked through a build now, I can say the Tactician is actually *better* in a group setting than the Battlemaster.

Battlemaster abilities are all effectively single target and powered by its 4 Superiority die (6 at high level).

Tactician gets 3 Tactical Points (6 at high level) plus <Int> Command Die . In addition, your Command die rises from 1d6 to 1d12 faster than the Battlemaster rises from 1d8 to 1d12. Tactician also regains either one (their choice) from L15 onwards when scoring a crit.

The Command Die is a *lot* more flexible than Battlemaster Maneuvres (on par with Bardic Inspiration die), even if your ally needs to follow your suggestion.

Then there are the area effect Manoeuvres! Rallying Cry is *the* maneouvre to have.
(I expect errata on that, as it does not give Temporary Hit Points, so stacks currently!)

Strike the Rod is similarly good (not as effective as Paladin Aura of Courage, but 60' radius!) (again, the radius will probably get errata).

My third choice is Stand your Ground. Wizard about to get swarmed under by minions? "Stand your Ground, Wizard!" and give them Resistance to damage until you can get there.

If you are "all about me", the Battlemaster is the choice; if you support the party, Tactician is a far superior option.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:41 pm 

I am particularly fond of 'On My Mark', 'Tempting Target' (lure bait), and 'Warning Shot' for when facing casters. 8-)

Echo
B-lister, Super Human, Brawler
"Bringing the noise!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:05 pm 

Southernskies wrote:
Having worked through a build now, I can say the Tactician is actually *better* in a group setting than the Battlemaster.

Battlemaster abilities are all effectively single target and powered by its 4 Superiority die (6 at high level).

Tactician gets 3 Tactical Points (6 at high level) plus <Int> Command Die . In addition, your Command die rises from 1d6 to 1d12 faster than the Battlemaster rises from 1d8 to 1d12. Tactician also regains either one (their choice) from L15 onwards when scoring a crit.

The Command Die is a *lot* more flexible than Battlemaster Maneuvres (on par with Bardic Inspiration die), even if your ally needs to follow your suggestion.

Then there are the area effect Manoeuvres! Rallying Cry is *the* maneouvre to have.
(I expect errata on that, as it does not give Temporary Hit Points, so stacks currently!)

Strike the Rod is similarly good (not as effective as Paladin Aura of Courage, but 60' radius!) (again, the radius will probably get errata).

My third choice is Stand your Ground. Wizard about to get swarmed under by minions? "Stand your Ground, Wizard!" and give them Resistance to damage until you can get there.

If you are "all about me", the Battlemaster is the choice; if you support the party, Tactician is a far superior option.

*taking notes* any other feedback about the class?

Kailandos, Keeper of the Word and Soldier of Retribution

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:19 pm 

Nothing until I have actually played it for a few games. *on paper* does not always equate to *in play*.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2  Next