Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Dark- kin appearance, Natural weapons and the fighter cl
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:20 am 

Also keep in mind the horns are a melee attack.. not a melee weapon attack.

So while you may be able to use them in melee, you can't use them as an "off-handed weapon"

Here is my official ruling...

Quote:
you may gain the benefits of Dueling as long as you do not attack with your horns during your attack action. Lastly, even if you only use your horns during an attack action you may not apply bonus damage from the dueling combat style to your attacks because your horns not a melee weapon attack.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:40 pm 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
Also keep in mind the horns are a melee attack.. not a melee weapon attack.

So while you may be able to use them in melee, you can't use them as an "off-handed weapon"

Here is my official ruling...

Quote:
you may gain the benefits of Dueling as long as you do not attack with your horns during your attack action. Lastly, even if you only use your horns during an attack action you may not apply bonus damage from the dueling combat style to your attacks because your horns not a melee weapon attack.

That works just fine for me. See I only really charge with the Horns, in melee I just use the warhammer normally.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:54 pm 

So I was just re reading the PHB and the Arcanis 5E Primer. The entire purpose behind me taking the horns was to gain an extra attack on the same turn as my normal attack.

Reading the rules I cannot do this. The Dash action, requires giving up the action you can make attacks with, or having a class feature to dash as a bonus action. The Massive Horns for a Dark-Kin say that if you wish to use the horns to attack or shove. It also requires giving up your bonus action.

So seeing as I don't have a class feature like the rogues cunning action. I cannot dash into combat, using my horns as an attack, and then also attack with a weapon in the same round.

This is exactly what I have been doing, to be clear and open about my error. The reason I'm stating this here is, in case anyone else out there saw the potential combo and jumped the gun. So you don't make the same error as I have.

So this kinda makes the Horns a Dark kin can have, interesting and also somewhat useless, in the way I want to use them. Yes I can still give up my normal attack, charge towards an enemy and hit them with my horns, but in doing so I have no other actions for that turn.

As a side note.. when the 5e PHB for Arcanis drops, will the dark kin have any other choices for racial abilities?

As a replacement for these horns.. Blood of My Brother stands out among the rest considering I already have Fiendish Mind.

Edit: Actually the part there about using rogues cunning action, wont work either because you need your bonus action to make the horn attack as part of your dash.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:07 pm 

Actually, you don't need a bonus action to make an attack with your horns.

Quote:
• Massive Horns: You have a set of infernal horns growing from your skull. You may use these horns to make unarmed strikes and if you do, they deal 1d8 (maybe 1d6) + Str damage. In addition, when you take the Dash action you may make an unarmed strike with your horns or a shove at the end of your movement.

It doesn't say anything about requiring a bonus action. So a rogue could make a dash as a bonus action, attack with horns, and then perform a normal attack action.

Lucas

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:54 pm 

Paldaris wrote:
Actually, you don't need a bonus action to make an attack with your horns.

Quote:
• Massive Horns: You have a set of infernal horns growing from your skull. You may use these horns to make unarmed strikes and if you do, they deal 1d8 (maybe 1d6) + Str damage. In addition, when you take the Dash action you may make an unarmed strike with your horns or a shove at the end of your movement.

It doesn't say anything about requiring a bonus action. So a rogue could make a dash as a bonus action, attack with horns, and then perform a normal attack action.

Lucas

From the 5E Arcanis Primer under Dark-kin Racial Traits.
Massive Horns
Thick horns sprout from your skull.
You are proficient with your horns and they deal 1d8 +
Strength piercing damage. When you use the Dash action
during your turn, you can make a melee attack or shove
with your horns as a bonus action.

So, seeing as you can only have one type of action per turn, usually, You give up your normal action to dash, then use a bonus action to attack with the horns. If you don't use the bonus action for the horn attack, you get no attack.

When writing this i noticed i did make a mistake. Its noted below.

So even if you are a rogue. You must (assuming the pc is a DK with massive horns and a melee attacker )

1. Give up your normal attack to perform the dash action, or give up your bonus action to perform the dash action.

2. Your bonus action is needed to attack with the horns, so if you used your bonus action to do the dash action, you cannot attack "per say" the way it is intended. However you can use your normal action to attack with your horns.

So either way you are not going to get a 2nd attack by having the horns and charging at your foe with them.

Edit: Perhaps the quote I used was from a previous edition of the Primer? Or i just miss quoted it. The clip i posted here is from the newest one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:59 pm 

My quote was from the latest version of the Primer that is on the website currently.

http://www.paradigmcampaigns.com/Campai ... aspx?cid=3

Follow the link and download it.

Lucas

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:14 pm 

Paldaris wrote:
My quote was from the latest version of the Primer that is on the website currently.

http://www.paradigmcampaigns.com/Campai ... aspx?cid=3

Follow the link and download it.

Lucas

Huh I didn't see the recent update. Your correct a rogue can get an attack with the dash and horns then use their normal attack. To bad the character this thread was for is not a rogue.

However the wording on this new rule is confusing in other ways.

Damage is 1d8 or maybe 1d6? and now there is no damage type listed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:20 pm 

Figure out a way to get Expeditious Retreat cast on you...

Dash as a bonus action every turn.

Lucas

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:23 pm 

Paldaris wrote:
Figure out a way to get Expeditious Retreat cast on you...

Dash as a bonus action every turn.

Lucas

I'm only posting this, incase anyone else whose character isn't a rogue and might have wanted to do this. For rules clarification so that the game is honest within the context of the rules making the game, and the game can be fun when played with the rules.

Not trying to find a work around. Thank you for your input.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:29 am 

My apologies for the confusion in the rules text, the (maybe 1d6) part of the sentence was meant to be removed. The horns deal 1d8 + STR piercing damage. They are meant to offer a replacement for regular unarmed strikes and allow you to deal some extra damage or shove if you can take the Dash action.

Kailandos, Keeper of the Word and Soldier of Retribution

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next