Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: interesting 5e PC concepts
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:16 pm 

If you think a Warlock in 5e is underpowered, you have not played one (or faced one) because they are one of the most broken and overpowered classes in the game. A Warlock doesn't need their spells: they have Eldritch Blast. It is a 100+ foot high damage spell which they can do basically at will as it is a Cantrip. In fact, Warlocks are heavily focused on Cantrip Magic and other powers.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:20 pm 

Hat wrote:
In addition to classes not being perfect fits to all the new concepts that ARG opened up, 5e doesn't have prestige classes which further limits the ability to import Arcanis specific flavor from a build perspective. It'll be interesting to see how it all works out.

I'd thought about this some prior to Arcanis 5e even being announced. Prestige Classes don't exist in 5e but multi-classing does (though it is effectively limited to every 4 levels). You could approximate Prestige Classes either by creating new classes (or class paths) that have prerequisites (and likely a little higher power level because of the prereqs). Class paths would be cleaner in a lot of ways but are hampered by classes being designed to only grant path abilities at certain levels.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:25 pm 

Nierite wrote:
If you think a Warlock in 5e is underpowered, you have not played one (or faced one) because they are one of the most broken and overpowered classes in the game. A Warlock doesn't need their spells: they have Eldritch Blast. It is a 100+ foot high damage spell which they can do basically at will as it is a Cantrip. In fact, Warlocks are heavily focused on Cantrip Magic and other powers.

I didn't say underpowered - I said very limited. If all you want to do is deal damage, they are good at it (Edlritch Blast + incantation that adds Cha bonus + possibly longer range). However, they are so limited in number of spells known and spell slots that they aren't much good at anything else.

I have played a Warlock (multi-class) and done extensive combat analysis of 5e. The Warlock isn't close to broken (it's the 4th or 5th highest "simple" damage option I found). The highest damage output single class is dual-wielding melee ranger.

The other massive limit on Warlocks and Rangers in 5e is that they made Hex and Quarry into concentration spells.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:55 am 

toodeep wrote:
Shaman was introduced under 3.x as its own class, not as an offshoot of druid. That makes it very...flexible about where they should fit in the new system. After all, they were different enough from druids to warrant their own class previously, so they probably still should be. ...snip...

I would note that the Shaman class was designed by a third party [Green Ronin?] and while certainly legal, was never a huge part of the old campaign IME. This time round inclusions from 3rd party creators seems much reduced. Freeport is gone/destroyed, Nyambe is disavowed & content such as Shaman and the controversial GR Assassin have been subsumed by the internal mechanics of the A:RPG.

While I think there is certainly room to create new 5e content, the first order of business in a conversion should probably be mapping over the core concepts of A:RPG with the core concepts of 5e. Primal casters to me are a core part of A:RPG. For what it's worth I think they should be mapped to a core part of 5e.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:55 pm 

toodeep wrote:
Whereas I thought it was clear from 3.5 days that the Sorcerer King had more interest in sorcerers. Sure, he took wizards, but understanding where sorcerers got there magic was his main gig. And that primarily involves him gathering all the eldritch casters, not Elder, so it seems mostly like Eldritch=Sorcerer.

I never got that impression in d20 Living Arcanis. The Sorcerer-King took anyone with the Gift for arcane magic, whether Wizard class or Sorcerer class (Bards, too).

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:00 pm 

val Holryn wrote:
I would note that the Shaman class was designed by a third party [Green Ronin?] and while certainly legal, was never a huge part of the old campaign IME.

While there was a Shaman class in Green Ronin's The Shaman's Handbook, there later was also an Arcanis-specific Shaman class in Magic of Aracnis from PCI. Some aspects of the MoA version are still present in the ARPG Shamanic concept.

Amadi val'Abebi - Monk of Althares
Talathos - choleric Kelekene dabbler

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:52 pm 

Look forward to the 5e arcanis primer. Pedro and the lesser gods have done a bang up awesome job on the 5e stuff.

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:23 am 
I'll speak for the mechanics > thematics perspective. Do it right and bend the fluff instead over arbitrary winners and losers.

I recall last campaign the specialty priest of Hurrian who could put together a 90+ AC and cast mass Shield Other. While being a full caster and full BAB.

I don't know if that could be related to fluff or what, but it happened.

If Warlocks are incredibly over-powered, dump them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:48 pm 

Concept Yinghir bastard daughter of a val sheem (not like that happened in the crusade)

Rouge 5, Fighter 1
Outlander - Hinterlands

STR 10
Dex 16
Con 11
Int 16
Wis 10
Chr 10

Skills:
Athletics 3
Acrobatics 3
Sleight of Hand 6
Stealth 6
Arcana 3
History 3
Investigation 6
Nature 3
Religion 3
Animal Handling 3
Perception 6
Survival 3
Deception 0
Intimidation 0
Performance 0
Persuasion 0

Proficency + 3
Dexterity +3
Sneak Attack 3d6
Short Bow : 1d6+4 (+1 Magic)
Short Sword 1d6+3

Feats
Mounted Combat
Sharpshooter

Arctype
Thief

There once was a gnome called Oozy,
Who kissed a Yaricite floozy.
But rather than wed,
She drowned him instead,
Now he is a Yaricite toosey!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:40 pm 

My Dark - Kin Former Legionnaire born in the cold wastes of Valentia.

S 16
D 13
C 17
I 8
W 12
C 8

Infernal Resistance Cold
Massive Horns
Fiendish Mind

Languages: Coryani, Low.

AC 16 with No Armor and a Shield. Ac will be 18 at level 4, when I bump dex and con by 1 each.
Weapons: Warhammer, Longsword, Javelins, Horns, Gladius, Cestus

Personality Traits
I can stare down a Hell Hound
My friends are those I fight beside.

Ideals
Coryani To The Bone
Honor is Good

Bonds
A liars oath is worth nothing.
My word is my bond.

Flaws
I have sticky finger's
Coin is Better

Lvl 3 as of today.
Barbarian 1
Fighter 2

There are a few things i'm not sure on for my character at this time.

1- His Legion, after some advice and info from Paul Gerwe, I narrowed it down to two choices

Legio Anguis Retatus
--------------------------
The Watchful Hunter.

I don't really feel the assassins legion is suited for my guy.. but maybe it is? He also doesn't venerate Cadic, and doesn't truly respect Larrisa or her worshipers.

He is a very average intelligence fella, who had the field manual version of the "Orthodox Mother Church" beaten into his skull after joining the legion as a child of 10 and onward until he was discharged.

He has a hatred of the noble class but knows to hold his tongue, most of the time. Well.. unless your visiting Sweet Savona, where because of the dueling laws he can clean house.

He is utterly loyal to his motherland, even if most people from it hate him for what he is. However, cut off from his legion and the family he had come to depend on, he has had to adapt to life as a mercenary and freelancer. Selling his skills and doing his best to retain his own honor among the dishonorable masses.

2- His Background, for my own personal story line, he secretly wed and lay with a influential mans daughter. The only woman he ever loved still to this day in fact.

After the discovery of their love affair his arrest and beating was quick. His status as a legionnaire granted him a quick mock trial. Just as the execution was to take place a herald from his legion arrived.

His many years of good service in the legion earned him one favor from his own commander. A stay of his execution, and dishonorable discharge from the legion he had called his family.

He is a follower of the true church, he doesn't engage in the, criminal congress known commonly as "extramarital sex". He does drink a glass of wine or ale on occasion but prefers to remain sober and in control of himself, except in battle.

So basically, I'd like some advice on what legion to be from as far as legal living play goes. If you all have other ideas or suggestions, feel free to let me know.

Last edited by RexSplode on Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next