Last visit was: It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Warlocks and Cadic
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:20 pm 

Hi, folks.

After a RL-induced hiatus from more than just a bit of dabbling, I and my friends are getting back into Arcanis, making new characters under the 5e rules.

Lots of changes, of course! One thing that has struck me is that Warlocks, which get little love in Arcanis world view, could be seen as being connected to Cadic, per his 'Shadow' aspect and connection. Cadic seems to be one of the few PoM deities who interacted (happily or not) with other planes. Many of the spells and powers of the warlock involve shadows and darkness - all Cadic trademarks.

Both the Pact of the Blade and the Archfey could be quite readily tweaked or justified to be from Cadic, it would seem. (Blade for the more martial aspect, Archfey for the shadow-hopping and beguiling practices).

Obviously, it's late in the game to be throwing this out, but does this make sense to anyone else?

Michael

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Warlocks and Cadic
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:23 pm 

Hello Michael,

Very nice to have one of the premier Arcanis scholars from the D20 days back with us. Welcome back!

Warlocks as a class has been replaced by the Shaman class in Arcanis 5E. These are primal casters able to call upon the power of spirits (not souls) and use them as a conduit to create effects analogous to Arcane rites and Divine cants (the names we use for spells, depending on the source).

Cadicans have access to Divine cants, their bloodline powers, psionics as well as the Arcane, if they have the Gift.

Shamans are seen (story-wise) as inferior to priests, as (all things being equal) the power of the Gods is superior to those of the Spirits.

I hope this answers your question.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:33 pm 

Vashti wrote:
Lots of changes, of course! One thing that has struck me is that Warlocks, which get little love in Arcanis world view, could be seen as being connected to Cadic, per his 'Shadow' aspect and connection. Cadic seems to be one of the few PoM deities who interacted (happily or not) with other planes. Many of the spells and powers of the warlock involve shadows and darkness - all Cadic trademarks.

The one aspect many people seem to skip about the Warlock is that they have a patrion.. a powerful being that teaches and grants them power.

I would say wait for the 5e core book.. clerics of cadic.. that's what you are looking for.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:22 pm 

Isn't one of the spirit patrons sometimes seen as an aspect of Cadic?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:26 pm 

Because a god has a portfolio doesn't make them appropriate for a Warlock. The metaphysics involved are different, as mentioned above. Warlocks make direct pacts with beings more powerful than themselves, while Arcanis gods are infinately more powerful than mere mortals and simply are beyond the scope of what you can negotiate with.

A warlock is a person negotiating with a bouncer to get into a bar, where the bouncer is a person of power and authority but within the same paradigm as the warlock. A god would be like negotiating with the wall to be let into the bar, or with the concept of spacetime to let you do it. It is standing in front of the storm and trying to command it to stop.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:42 pm 

I don't know if I totally agree with Cody but I do agree that Cadic is not an appropriate patron for Warlocks.

I do agree that Gods capital G are vastly bigger and more powerful than the things that Warlocks make pacts with. I guess in theory if you could talk to one then they could make a warlock style pact with you. But Cadic, to our knowledge, does not deign to talk directly with worshippers since the early days of the First Imperium. That also means he doesn't make pacts. But even if Cadic was speaking again, it's not clear what kind of mutual back-scratching could take place. What does Cadic get out of the deal that he doesn't already get from his priests? In this regard I am in total agreement with Cody.

You COULD play a warlock that has made a pact with a shadowy creature that claims to be part of Cadic's servants. And maybe your PC believes it and is super devout & your patron never asks you to do anything that is non-Cadic-y. Cool. Who knows, maybe Cadic really does have semi divine servants like that. Presumably Henry knows....the rest of us don't. Go ahead and Present yourself as a follower of the teachings of Cadic. But the teachings of the Mother Church don't say anything about sch patrons, and you can expect that NPC priests and/or the Inquisition will not approve of your life choices as they become known. OOC You certainly won't be the only spellcaster pretending to be something they are not...

Cadic, like all the major Gods, has a temple to carry out HIS will/works on the material plane and their magic (Cants/Clericsl) requires true faith to make it work. While I theoretically think Cadic or his Valinor could make pacts with mortals I don't see why they would because it would likely both undermine the temples & let the pact maker go about with less "oversight" than the priesthood.

My 2 cents

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:34 pm 

Hawk Knight wrote:

Yes there is a patron that is an amalgamation of Cadic and Sarish

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:09 am 

Hello,

Paldaris wrote:
Hawk Knight wrote:

Yes there is a patron that is an amalgamation of Cadic and Sarish

If you're referring to the Undir spirit patron the Prince of Night, it's not at all related to Cadic.

Much like the Myrantian deities, the Mother Church forces other "gods" into their perscribed teachings, thus Tzizhet is Neroth and Sarish and the Prince of Night is Cadic.

But they are nothing of the sort. The spirits some Undir worship are more akin to the nature spirits shamans across the Known Lands worship.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey