Last visit was: It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Advanced Spell - Speed/Strain
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:10 pm 

Nierite wrote:
Issue: What about spells that are gotten at higher tiers in some traditions than others? For example: Inferno is a Tier III Primal Elemental Spell, and a Tier IV val'Virdan/Emman spell.
Use the tier associated with whatever tradition you are casting it from. If you happen to have both traditions, pick one.
PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
Looking up at the advanced spells, I'm left to wonder how the original edit I proposed was so bad.. in almost every case it lowered the speed of the original combined spell.

the only think it lacked was a slight increase in CTN (less then what I propose now)
Personally, I didn't have a problem with the original proposal. I'm just proposing a slightly outside the box solution to one of the more recent debates within this topic.

:)
Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:16 pm 

I also found the errata to be perfectly acceptable.

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:42 pm 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
Looking up at the advanced spells, I'm left to wonder how the original edit I proposed was so bad.. in almost every case it lowered the speed of the original combined spell.

the only think it lacked was a slight increase in CTN (less then what I propose now)

Besides that you could be forced to use two strain values or two speed values as both of the new values?

As John pointed out, combining two very fast but exhaustive spells (low speed, high strain) meant the new spell having (high speed, high strain) every single time. Using the Martial Technique's method, it should be possible to get a distribution of low, medium, and high for both values.

Plus, as was pointed out by someone else too, consistency between AMT and AS is a good thing.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:51 pm 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:

The main issue with the proposal was that it had no basis in realism. Again, the 'general' example was if you combine 2 very fast spells with high strain you end up with an interruptible spell with high strain. It made no sense. The numbers may come out the same when you have 2 spells with similar speed (strain) costs, but that doesn't make the methods the same.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:12 pm 

mith wrote:
PCI_StatMonkey wrote:

Besides that you could be forced to use two strain values or two speed values as both of the new values?

As John pointed out, combining two very fast but exhaustive spells (low speed, high strain) meant the new spell having (high speed, high strain) every single time. Using the Martial Technique's method, it should be possible to get a distribution of low, medium, and high for both values.

Plus, as was pointed out by someone else too, consistency between AMT and AS is a good thing.

True, but of you look at the final values...across the board they were faster and in some cases only +1 strain over the original spell..

AWM also had the additional weapon speed cost added to the final numbers, a factor missing with spells.

Maybe use the AWM method + a modifier?

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:14 pm 

Not sure a modifier is needed. Spells don't have a 'modifier' on their speed when cast as Base Spells. the "Speed" of the spell is basically the same as a Weapon Speed + maneuver modifier in many cases.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:24 pm 

If going with the A:MT method, no modifier is needed.
Recovery <> Strain for a penalty, and higher Strain overall is a GOOD thing for balance. The Strain in general is much higher for some spell combinations.

While under Recovery, you can still use Base Attacks or a Manoeuvre without a Recovery (ie: continue the same attack mode).
While under Strain, you can't do any other spell without dealing with the strain somehow, potential Vanquishing yourself. This would also help slow down Minion spellcasters (where there are dozens of the annoying **** throwing something like Black Tongue at you).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:13 pm 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:

Spell Speed isn't the issue; its the low strain value attached to them. If spellcasting is dominating tables, more strain = lower casting tempo and more varied attack methods.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:45 pm 

Ok going with the A:MT speed/recovery system...

changed the CTN to Equal to the sum of both CTNs - 13

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:58 pm 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
Ok going with the A:MT speed/recovery system...

changed the CTN to Equal to the sum of both CTNs - 13

Any chance to consider a scaling CTN based upon Tier?

Sum of CTN's - 13 means a CTN of 29 when combining 2 Tier II CTN 21 spells. Not likely to be cast.

John

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next