SamhainIA wrote:
commutative == cumulative

fixed

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: diminish senses
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:18 pm 

ill ask this again why the + 3 to discipline defense, for 3 reasons 1) the spell does not attack discipline it attacks fort. 2) does the pc really need an additional +3 to their defense if they get an escalating bonus to shrug it off and 3) again i'll point out a person my only be effected by the spell once per a caster. now if that restriction was removed then i would see no problem with an additional bonus to defense.

another thing i thought of here is i'm afraid a precedent my be started here that any spell that has "negative" effects on pc and duration of Scene or more will getting ppl complaining wanting it softened up, extra bonuses to shrug off, bonuses to defenses each time they are hit with it...etc. to me when that starts to happen we will start to see fewer of those spells taken by ppl in favor of the flashy/bangy instant duration spells. i know if i were a caster i would probably be so inclined, while this may just be me but i do think it is something to keep in the back of all our minds we all know that no one really complains about those things that are beneficial to them and will fight tooth and nail to keep it regardless of how "overpowered" it may be.

adam

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:45 pm 

whitepanther0712 wrote:
another thing i thought of here is i'm afraid a precedent my be started here that any spell that has "negative" effects on pc and duration of Scene or more will getting ppl complaining wanting it softened up, extra bonuses to shrug off, bonuses to defenses each time they are hit with it...etc. to me when that starts to happen we will start to see fewer of those spells taken by ppl in favor of the flashy/bangy instant duration spells. i know if i were a caster i would probably be so inclined, while this may just be me but i do think it is something to keep in the back of all our minds we all know that no one really complains about those things that are beneficial to them and will fight tooth and nail to keep it regardless of how "overpowered" it may be.

Umm it's not the PC's we were worried about.. Diminish was/as been used to make the nastiest encounters trivial

I ran two tables where the "big bad" was blind off the bat.. and unable to do a thing.. heck the 2nd time I had that happened I simply called the fight..

it is a tab too powerful.. but you have a point.. with the escalating bonus.. no need to have the 2nd part...

BTW its still a damn good spell

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:19 pm 

I remember at some point there was a 'nerf' to the Blinded Condition (or to what Diminish Senses did effect-wise). I think it was on the previous boards but it reduced the impact of being blinded from the spell. Anyone else remember that?

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:25 pm 

im going to assume that you had multiple ppl able to cast the spell if your big bad was hit with it twice.

don't get me wrong i like the idea of being able to regain your senses in some form or another, i can get behind that. ive been a judge on the receiving end of the spell and it is rough. i'm however a proponent of the choices have consequences theory of the game. the thing with that is though is that the road is a two way street and does not just apply to the pcs choices. if the big bad wants to run around with his minions none of which can cast certain spells, that was the big bads choice, maybe if he survives he won't make that mistake again, obviously the same holds true for pcs.

so all in all i'm for the chance to get senses back as long as the time before they come back is significant enough to actually have a significant detrimental effect on the person.

pete i completely agree with you on how good the spell is especially when you really start to get into what all it does as far as concealment and TE and what not.

for this particular spell there is also a talent that can be helpful (blind-fighting)

Quote:
I remember at some point there was a 'nerf' to the Blinded Condition (or to what Diminish Senses did effect-wise). I think it was on the previous boards but it reduced the impact of being blinded from the spell. Anyone else remember that?

nope sorry john cant say that i do

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:50 pm 

how about

Quote:
After 6 ticks, upon the target’ next action they may attempt to break free with a successful Simple Mettle (Re) Skill Action roll against the caster's passive Arcanum value. If they fail they may attempt again in 6 ticks, gaining a cumulative +3 bonus every failed attempt after the first.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:54 pm 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
how about

Quote:
After 6 ticks, upon the target’ next action they may attempt to break free with a successful Simple Mettle (Re) Skill Action roll against the caster's passive Arcanum value. If they fail they may attempt again in 6 ticks, gaining a cumulative +3 bonus every failed attempt after the first.

Are subsequent attempts on the target's action after 6 ticks or every 6 ticks for free?

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:02 pm 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
So, this is where we are now

note I added a escalating bonus to resist.

Quote:
After 6 ticks, upon the target’ next action they may attempt to break free with a successful Simple Mettle (Re) Skill Action roll against the caster's passive Arcanum value. If they fail they may attempt again in 6 ticks, gaining a commutative +3 bonus every failed attempt after the first. Someone who has been under the effects of a Diminish Senses spell gains a +3 bonus to their discipline defense against the spell for the remainder of the scene.

Yeah I think that looks okay.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:42 pm 

Quote:

ok let me see if i understand this correctly. on tick one i cast on pete who becomes blinded, after tick 7 pete's next action, he can take a speed 2 action( along with any other action??) in order to regain his senses, if he fails he waits another 6 ticks....here comes a question does the wait start from the moment he can make the first check or after the "action" failed ( probely a no brainier but figured id ask has to attempt another sp 2( or more if so chooses) action but gains a +3 to that attempt...if i get this right at a min a person is down for at least 3/4 a round ( 8 ticks)...is my understand correct???

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:52 pm 

whitepanther0712 wrote:
ok let me see if i understand this correctly. on tick one i cast on pete who becomes blinded, after tick 7 pete's next action, he can take a speed 2 action( along with any other action??) in order to regain his senses, if he fails he waits another 6 ticks....

Correct so far, including the possible other action

whitepanther0712 wrote:
here comes a question does the wait start from the moment he can make the first check or after the "action" failed ( probely a no brainier but figured id ask has to attempt another sp 2( or more if so chooses) action but gains a +3 to that attempt...if i get this right at a min a person is down for at least 3/4 a round ( 8 ticks)...is my understand correct???

Nope he has to wait either 6 ticks or until his next action (whichever is longest) to try again, and this time at a +3...

and yes the min is 8 ticks of suck... with 16 ticks of suck if they fail...

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3