Last visit was: It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Advanced Spell
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:33 pm 

I have a few places with the revised Advanced Spell rules where I'm unclear:

Quote:
Speed & Strain: Reviewing both the speed and strain values of the both base spells; apply the highest value as the spell’s Speed +1 and the second highest value as the spells Strain +1.

I think I understand this one but an example would probably be good. So, if the spells are 5(3) and 1(2) then the advanced spell is 6(4) but if the spells are 5(1) and 4(3) then the advanced spell is 6(5), correct?

Quote:
Range: Is equal to the shortest Range and/or smallest Area and Lowest number of Targets. going from Radius > Arc > Cone; Thus an Advanced spell built from two spells having a Range: 15’ Cone and Range: 20’ (10’ radius) would be reduced to 15’ Cone, while an Advanced spell built from two spells having a 30' (1 Target) and another with Radius 60' would be reduced to 30' (1 Target).

Wouldn't the area in the first example be 10' Cone (not 15' Cone)? Or do you use the area number from the smaller area shape? If the area number from the smaller area shape, would a 5' Radius and 30' Arc be 5' Arc or 30' Arc? What about 20' (10' Radius) and 60' (1 Target)? Would that be 20' (1 Target) or 60' (1 Target)?

Quote:
Effects: The effects of both Spells are combined; if the new spell attacks two different Defenses, then a single roll is used to determine the success of the spell. If the spell must surpass both defenses, if not the spell fails to effect the target.

I think there's an error in the last sentence and it should be "If the spell targets two different Defenses, the spell has no effect if it fails to surpass either defense".

Quote:
Combining Damage Effects:When combining damaging spells, all damage is considered to be from the same source with the spells’ damage being affected by AR if either of the base spells are reduced by AR. Regardless of the combined effects, when combining two damaging spells which deal (Primary) damage, you only roll one (Primary) but gain a +2 bonus to your damage roll.

Does the +2 bonus apply only to spells that do (Primary) damage or also to spells which deal (Primary)+d4 damage? I'm assuming it applies to the latter as well.

I also don't understand the "Special" entry wording. Does this just mean Scene(D) duration spells become Scene or is it saying something else?

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Advanced Spell
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:21 pm 

wilcoxon wrote:
I have a few places with the revised Advanced Spell rules where I'm unclear:

Ok shoot!

wilcoxon wrote:
Quote:
Speed & Strain: Reviewing both the speed and strain values of the both base spells; apply the highest value as the spell’s Speed +1 and the second highest value as the spells Strain +1.

I think I understand this one but an example would probably be good. So, if the spells are 5(3) and 1(2) then the advanced spell is 6(4) but if the spells are 5(1) and 4(3) then the advanced spell is 6(5), correct?.

Correct... the goal was to simplify the math.

wilcoxon wrote:
Quote:
Range: Is equal to the shortest Range and/or smallest Area and Lowest number of Targets. going from Radius > Arc > Cone; Thus an Advanced spell built from two spells having a Range: 15’ Cone and Range: 20’ (10’ radius) would be reduced to 15’ Cone, while an Advanced spell built from two spells having a 30' (1 Target) and another with Radius 60' would be reduced to 30' (1 Target).

Wouldn't the area in the first example be 10' Cone (not 15' Cone)? Or do you use the area number from the smaller area shape? If the area number from the smaller area shape, would a 5' Radius and 30' Arc be 5' Arc or 30' Arc? What about 20' (10' Radius) and 60' (1 Target)? Would that be 20' (1 Target) or 60' (1 Target)?

the spell reverts to the smallest range of the two spells not a hybrid of the two...

your questions,
5' Radius and 30' Arc = 5' Radius
20' (10' Radius) and 60' (1 Target) = 60' (1 Target)

wilcoxon wrote:
Quote:
Effects: The effects of both Spells are combined; if the new spell attacks two different Defenses, then a single roll is used to determine the success of the spell. If the spell must surpass both defenses, if not the spell fails to effect the target.

I think there's an error in the last sentence and it should be "If the spell targets two different Defenses, the spell has no effect if it fails to surpass either defense".

Correct.. just fixed.

wilcoxon wrote:
Quote:
Combining Damage Effects:When combining damaging spells, all damage is considered to be from the same source with the spells’ damage being affected by AR if either of the base spells are reduced by AR. Regardless of the combined effects, when combining two damaging spells which deal (Primary) damage, you only roll one (Primary) but gain a +2 bonus to your damage roll.

Does the +2 bonus apply only to spells that do (Primary) damage or also to spells which deal (Primary)+d4 damage? I'm assuming it applies to the latter as well.

you are correct... applies to both of your examples.

wilcoxon wrote:
I also don't understand the "Special" entry wording. Does this just mean Scene(D) duration spells become Scene or is it saying something else?

Scene.. reverts to the worse case..

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:23 am 

Scene, Scene(D) and Scene:Special (look at black ice for example) are three different durations and under the existing rules may not be combined to an advanced spell. However, that rule exists so that you can combine any two of those three and end up with something that makes sense.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:44 pm 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
wilcoxon wrote:
Quote:

Correct.. just fixed.

Okay just so I'm clear...

We're walking through the Endless Dark and a Voiceless One Dominator and its minions jump the party. It (the VO) has an Avoidance: 27 and a Discipline: 30. Just managing not to shriek like a little girl, I respond by slinging an advanced spell combining Elemental Bolt and Enemy of my Enemy at it and roll a 27 to hit. It all goes through, and the VO attacks its minion(s) next round?
The totality of my spell now takes effect?

What about fighting Uxhbractict in the final BI where he has an AV: 25 and a DISC: 34? This time I'm a Shaman and its Elemental Bolt and Diminish Senses. I roll a 27 again. Uhxy is burned and blinded?

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:47 pm 

Just the opposite. You'd have to bypass the 30 Discipline in the first case and the 34 Discipline in the second for your Advanced Spell to take effect at all.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:56 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
Just the opposite. You'd have to bypass the 30 Discipline in the first case and the 34 Discipline in the second for your Advanced Spell to take effect at all.

Yep they are all or nothing..

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:57 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:

John

Gah. You are right of course. Sorry, I may be going cross-eyed from too much errata.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey