Last visit was: It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Arcimous Primus and Battle Magi
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:21 pm 

Arcimous Primus fighting style works for any melee weapon but one of the prereqs is Battle Magi talent which is Balanced/blades only. Either Battle Magi should be dropped as a prereq for Arcimous Primus or else Battle Magi should be changed to work for any melee weapon. As it stands, if you don't use Balanced, you are forced to take an extra skill and weapon prof just to qualify.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Arcimous Primus and Battle Magi
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:05 pm 

It's not a bad trade off, since the Fighting Style is pretty cool as it is. you aren't forced to use a balanced weapon with the fighting style, so it all works out.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:13 pm 

Except that you have to take a Talent that is completely useless (unless you use Balanced). I think that is a horrible tradeoff. I still strongly think either Battle Magi needs to work with non-Balanced or else Battle Magi needs to be removed as a prereq for Arcimous Primus.

I can't think of any other Path or Fighting Style that requires a completely unusable Talent to qualify.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:04 am 

wilcoxon wrote:
Except that you have to take a Talent that is completely useless (unless you use Balanced). I think that is a horrible tradeoff. I still strongly think either Battle Magi needs to work with non-Balanced or else Battle Magi needs to be removed as a prereq for Arcimous Primus.

I can't think of any other Path or Fighting Style that requires a completely unusable Talent to qualify.

Hi Steve,

The talent is NOT completely unusuable. It just doesn't help you in your build. Sorry. Part of this is because the game has wonky elements like the first edition of "Advanced" Dungeons & Dragons. If they ever do a second edition some things might be streamlined. Part of it is (an apparently conscious) decision that not all talents will be of equal worth to all characters and builds.

I have some sympathy. I would love for Tukufu to have a fighting style. And this one is the best fit of all of those so far in print. But as an Expert he is talent starved and just doesn't have room to spend one on Battle Magi. Frustrating.

A fighting style can easily be the core of a character. If it's going to be the core of what you do you, then you should expect to build with it in mind.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:14 am 

Yes, not all talents are equally useful for all builds. However, Battle Magi is completely useless unless you use Balanced and Arcimous Primus requires Battle Magi but does not require Balanced. This is my problem. Unless I missed it, there is no other instance of a prereq for something being useless for 3/4 of the people taking something (Battle Magi = useful for Balanced but completely useless for Unarmed, Unbalanced, and Polearm).

This seems like a simple errata fix - just either make Battle Magi work with non-Balanced (my preferred solution) or remove Battle Magi from the prereq for Arcimous Primus. I guess another option (that I hate) would be to change Arcimous Primus to only work with Balanced as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:16 am 

If anyone thinks the current Battle Magi/Arcimous Primus situation actually makes sense (either from mechanics or story), please explain as I just don't see it at all...

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey