Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Spells into Melee
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:58 am 

Alessia Val'Mehan wrote:
Pedro it would seem to me that you have more of an issue with the power level of the spells created (Enemy of my Enemy) then how the actual mechanics for casting should work. That's more of a spell design flaw imo then a good basis for how the casting into combat rules should work.

Personally i don't think enemy of my enemy is that bad. Its high strain and speed and often creatures miss each other... and its only for one action. But perhaps that's another thread...

Solution:
I think the talents available should be able to provide the casters a reduction of the -4 penalty to fire into melee for all spells. However what i do propose is that casters do not get the +2 for casting into melee for having a tactical edge. As it makes little sense that they would.

~Tony

I do intend to introduce talents covering Dis and fort, want to make them feel unique though.

And I need to add a clarification that range attacks do you gain the tachtics edge when firing into melee

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:09 pm 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
And I need to add a clarification that range attacks do you gain the tachtics edge when firing into melee

??

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:20 pm 

mith wrote:
PCI_StatMonkey wrote:

??

I think he means "Add a clarification that you benefit from Tactical Edge if you are firing at a target in melee that is granting Tactical Edge."

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:47 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
mith wrote:
PCI_StatMonkey wrote:

??

I think he means "Add a clarification that you benefit from Tactical Edge if you are firing at a target in melee that is granting Tactical Edge."

Correct,

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:45 am 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
Harliquinn wrote:
Correct,
Okay, sorry to muddy the waters, but I'd like a bit of clarification on the intent...

If my ally and I were both in melee against an opponent, we could gain Tac. Edge for flanking. If my ally is in melee, and I'm 30' away, attacking with a bow, neither one of us is gaining Tac. Edge. If two allies of mine are flanking an opponent and I'm 30' away, the current rules say that my allies in melee gain Tac. Edge and I do not.

So, when the errata is implemented, in scenario B, would both my ally and I gain Tac Edge? (I assume not.) And in scenario C, since both of my allies are gaining Tac. Edge, I would gain it as well, correct? (I assume so.)

Thanks,
Scott

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:08 am 

There are two versions of Tactical Edge.

1) A target grants Tactical Edge. In this case, everyone attacking the target gains the benefits of Tactical Edge, regardless of weapon, spell, or range of attack. Cases where this occurs: The target is outnumbered, prone, blind, etc.

2) You gain Tactical Edge against a Target. In this case, only you gain the benefits of Tactical Edge against the target. Cases where this occurs: Attacking from concealment, invisibility, or due to specific maneuvers.

If a target is flanked, it is granting Tactical Edge to anyone who attacks it.

If a target is engaged with only one enemy, it doesn't grant Tactical Edge regardless of how many ranged attackers are firing at it.

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:21 am 

Harliquinn wrote:
There are two versions of Tactical Edge.

1) A target grants Tactical Edge. In this case, everyone attacking the target gains the benefits of Tactical Edge, regardless of weapon, spell, or range of attack. Cases where this occurs: The target is outnumbered, prone, blind, etc.

2) You gain Tactical Edge against a Target. In this case, only you gain the benefits of Tactical Edge against the target. Cases where this occurs: Attacking from concealment, invisibility, or due to specific maneuvers.

If a target is flanked, it is granting Tactical Edge to anyone who attacks it.

If a target is engaged with only one enemy, it doesn't grant Tactical Edge regardless of how many ranged attackers are firing at it.

^^^^^ this ^^^^^^

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4