Last visit was: It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: spending fate
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:36 pm 

can someone please elaborate/clearify this for me

Quote:
Under Spending Fate remove the last bullet point (do the impossible) and add the following in its place.
 A hero may spend a fate point to automatically succeed in action skill roll to resist the effects of a flaw.

does this mean that doing the impossible is now completely removed from the campaign, instead of the recent change of only once/mod. secondly maybe im missing something but are not flaws set penalties that can't be resisted. (or was the intent to allow someone to not have to suffer the penalties of say sickly, tail-less, horribly scarred...etc)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: spending fate
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:49 pm 

whitepanther0712 wrote:
can someone please elaborate/clearify this for me

Quote:
Under Spending Fate remove the last bullet point (do the impossible) and add the following in its place.
 A hero may spend a fate point to automatically succeed in action skill roll to resist the effects of a flaw.

does this mean that doing the impossible is now completely removed from the campaign, instead of the recent change of only once/mod. secondly maybe im missing something but are not flaws set penalties that can't be resisted. (or was the intent to allow someone to not have to suffer the penalties of say sickly, tail-less, horribly scarred...etc)

Due to some abuse of the "do the impossible" we need to remove it from play, it was meant to allow players to pull off more of the improbable... but it has turned into the "I run up and cut the main bad guys head off" or "I alter my spell to work like a short range teleport" and my personal favorite "The guy that was just shot with that arrow was not me, but someone who looks JUST like me.. ya he was my long lost twin... man I wish I knew him... I cry as he dies and use his death to drive my rage!"

anyways...

some flaws can be resisted... Blood thirsty comes to mind

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:59 pm 

since those require a roll is there not already a mechanic in place to assist in that, ie use a fate to add your fate score to the roll. after the weekend at arcanicon and the use of fate to make actions auto miss/fail, i'm not so sure of the auto success/fail deals.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:39 pm 

What is wrong with judges who would allow something that cheesy? Your missing twin took that arrow? Where did he come from? Why is he in the dungeon with you?!?

If you caught me in the *right* mood I'd allow that as a judge ... only to have the 12 bandits/Inquisitors/Giant Dragon-Bears that were chasing him attack from the rear, *and look* they didn't know he had a twin either... :twisted: Boy they sure look pissed. I wonder what you -oh i mean your evil twin -did to them?

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:46 pm 

whitepanther0712 wrote:
since those require a roll is there not already a mechanic in place to assist in that, ie use a fate to add your fate score to the roll. after the weekend at arcanicon and the use of fate to make actions auto miss/fail, i'm not so sure of the auto success/fail deals.

"A hero may spend a fate point to automatically succeed in action skill roll to resist the effects of a flaw."

I understand the text to mean that you can auto-succeed ONLY in the case of resisting the effects of a flaw, not just any action skill roll. Bloodthirsty, Haunted by Nightmares, Miserly and Phobia are the only things affected at the moment.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:47 pm 

Quote:
if you caught me in the *right* mood I'd allow that as a judge ... only to have the 12 bandits/Inquisitors/Giant Dragon-Bears that were chasing him attack from the rear, *and look* they didn't know he had a twin either... :twisted: Boy they sure look pissed. I wonder what you -oh i mean your evil twin -did to them?

hahah thats to funny...would love to see that guys face then

on a more serious note might i propose a fate use idea of allowing an ability that has limited number of uses per mod,scene.day..etc, to be usable one additional time with the use of a fate point or one that would allow to gain the single use a a talent or ability that you would not normally have access to at that time

Last edited by whitepanther0712 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:47 pm 

Eric,

In your very witty example above, you could and should do just that - in a Home game; I certainly would.

For a Shared Campaign, that doesn't work for everyone.

The abuses of "Doing the Impossible" have been ridiculous and unfortunately, widespread enough to merit this exclusion in the Shared Campaign.

Home games, of course, can do as they wish.

Henry Lopez
President
PCI

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:49 pm 

:shaking fist at paul:
Quote:
I understand the text to mean that you can auto-succeed ONLY in the case of resisting the effects of a flaw, not just any action skill roll. Bloodthirsty, Haunted by Nightmares, Miserly and Phobia are the only things affected at the moment.
dang it you beat me to that punch on that one paul... i was in the process of looking those up myself

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:08 pm 

whitepanther0712 wrote:
:shaking fist at paul:
Quote:
dang it you beat me to that punch on that one paul... i was in the process of looking those up myself

we are looking for a way to bring doing the impossible back, but in a limited way...

we need to make sure that people keep to the spirit of the rule by giving it a cleaner description.

no promises though

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:33 am 

Quote:
we are looking for a way to bring doing the impossible back, but in a limited way...

we need to make sure that people keep to the spirit of the rule by giving it a cleaner description.

no promises though
fair enough i do realize then need for a much clear distinction as to what it can and can't do to prevent things that are by nature just way to out there even for fate to have a hand in

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next