Last visit was: It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: learn martial tech change
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:30 pm 

not a bad suggestion, I have a feeling that pedro is going to narrow it down to one or the other

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:44 pm 

mith wrote:
SamhainIA wrote:
I'm not sure of the intent, but a possible alternate solution:
instead of relying on having techniques at every tier, look at the total number of techniques known
EG, to learn a Tier IV trick you must know 4 other martial techniques (or 5 or 6 expressed at Tier +x).. it makes it easy for the martial characters to qualify and prevents the cherry picking that people are worried about and provides so much more flexibility.

Yep, back on track... Reposting this because it got lost in the wash:

I like this, I'm a fan, mostly. I would suggest combining the proposed requirements (yours and Pedro's).

"In order to take a martial technique of Tier 2+ the character must possess either: at least one technique of 1 tier lower than the new technique OR a number of lower tiered techniques equal to the tier of the new technique.

Example: In order to take Learn Martial Technique to acquire a Tier 4 technique, the character must already know at least 1 Tier 3 technique OR a total of 4 Tier 1 & Tier 2 techniques."

This offers the greatest flexibility and choices to the characters.

I like this, but I fear it's too much of a radical departure from the way you learn spells, talents, and bloodline powers (you need the lower tier to get he higher tier)

and yes I may be over thinking it, but it seems to defeat the purpose...

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:50 pm 

I like the simple: "In order to learn a Martial Technique [Bloodline] above Tier I, you must know a number of lower Tier Techniques equal to the Tier you want to learn minus 1."

So to learn Tier 3, you need at least 2 other Techniques Tier I or II. This keeps the 'number' of techniques (bloodlines) you need the same but gives flexibility in those cases where a Tier has nothing you qualify for or want.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Last edited by Harliquinn on Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:52 pm 

Exacly what john said, except i would argue the number of techniques should be increased

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:55 pm 

SamhainIA wrote:
Exacly what john said, except i would argue the number of techniques should be increased

I'm curious why the increase? This is the same number that would be required by taking a technique at each Tier.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:57 pm 

to make martial a little more special , and make the other archtypes work just a bit harder

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:00 pm 

SamhainIA wrote:
to make martial a little more special , and make the other archtypes work just a bit harder

More special? The 12 Weapon Talents, 8 Armor Talents, Advanced Armor Training, and the option for 2 combat talents / 2 martial techniques each tier isn't special enough?

John

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:02 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
I like the simple: "In order to learn a Martial Technique [Bloodline] above Tier I, you must know a number of lower Tier Techniques equal to the Tier you want to learn."
Wouldn't this mean you needed to know 2 maneuvers to learn a Tier II maneuver?

KISS wrote:
"In order to learn a Martial Technique [Bloodline], you must already know a number of techniques equal to the tier of the Martial you are learning minus 1."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:05 pm 

Doh, sorry yes I meant Tier -1. My mistake.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:06 pm 

@john, yeah lets leave that other argument in the other thread, one or two extra tricks isnt really going to bother most any focused martial character where it might have some slight impact on a dilletante kind of character and thats the idea behind this rule isnt it?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next