Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Q&A Learn Spell
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:27 am 

With the Learn Spell Talent the way it reads is that once you have access to a Tradition you can add a spell of a Tier equal to or less than the character's Tier. Which of the following scenarios are possible?

1. T2 Character with Rudimentary Prayers (and a T1 spell) uses Learn Spell to learn another spell of the same tradition they gained in T1.
2. T4 character with Rudimentary Prayers (and a T1 spell) uses Learn Spell to learn a Tier 4 of the same tradition they already know.
3. Tier 3 character with Divine or Arcane Spellcasting Tier 1 uses Learn spell to learn a T3 spell

I would expect at a minimum you would need to have a spell of each lower Tier before being allowed to select a spell of a higher Tier.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Q&A Learn Spell
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:15 pm 

Hat wrote:
With the Learn Spell Talent the way it reads is that once you have access to a Tradition you can add a spell of a Tier equal to or less than the character's Tier. Which of the following scenarios are possible?

1. T2 Character with Rudimentary Prayers (and a T1 spell) uses Learn Spell to learn another spell of the same tradition they gained in T1.

Yes, he can use Learn Spell to learn a T1 or T2 spell as long as the spell is of the same tradition.

Hat wrote:
2. T4 character with Rudimentary Prayers (and a T1 spell) uses Learn Spell to learn a Tier 4 of the same tradition they already know.

He would have to learn a T2 and a T3 spell before learning a T4 spell. (which can all be done with learn spell)

Hat wrote:
3. Tier 3 character with Divine or Arcane Spellcasting Tier 1 uses Learn spell to learn a T3 spell

Would need a T2 spell.

I will add further clarifications later today

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:59 pm 

PCI_StatMonkey wrote:
He would have to learn a T2 and a T3 spell before learning a T4 spell. (which can all be done with learn spell)

This is an honest question, not a challenge: Where is that rule written? (could have been in the errata and I missed it)

This is the challenge: Why? I completely understand the logic behind not allowing players to 'cherry pick' Bloodline talents (you get what the gods gave you) or a fighting style, but I disagree with spells and maneuvers. My reasoning is that, if I were my character, I'm taking the initiative to learn something specific that doesn't necessarily build on a lesser tier. A fighting style DOES build on previous knowledge - you can't become a black belt in Judo without passing the previous belts' tests; where as a maneuver doesn't - I can and have learned all sorts of card manipulations without ever mastering certain styles of card fans.

And with that, I may have just talked myself out of my argument as it applies to ARCANE spells. Channeling all that power of creation, you really need to know how to handle the 'small stuff' (lower tiers) before you can play with the big boy toys. I would still contend that it wouldn't apply to Divine spells, however, since the ability to channel that power is granted, not learned.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:13 am 

Do the spells that you've learned up to Tier 5 for instance all need to be from the same source? I would guess yes?

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:20 am 

mith wrote:
...snip...I would still contend that it wouldn't apply to Divine spells, however, since the ability to channel that power is granted, not learned.

This was true in the D&D edition. It is not true now in the Arcanis universe. ALL spell casters are manipulating residual energy left over from the creation of the universe. Arcane casters more or less make stuff up with some of column A and some of column B. Divine casters get the "church approved" formula, which was taught by the Gods or their Valinor way back in the day and should never (ever) be tampered with.

To use an example of cars: a divine caster knows how to drive safely cause a Valinor spelled it out in excruciating detail way back in the day in small words even a human can follow. A divine caster can't tinker with the car. Just drive it. OTOH an arcane caster has learned how to (essentially/mostly) drive safely on his or her own through figuring out the engineering of how cars work. If they don't like the car they adjust all sorts of things in the shop.

So ... since its ALL learned, the new restrictions/clarifications of Learn Spell should apply to both sides of the arcanum.

AKA Ambassador Tukufu, man of letters, tomb raider and Master Sword Sage
. . . and Sir Szymon val'Holryn, Order of the Phoenix
Formerly Sir Jaeger val'Holryn. Weilder of the Holy Avenger: Thonanos. Gave his soul to help free King Noen

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey