Last visit was: It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Casting Spells outside of Combat
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:00 am 

Q&A p.4 - Q: Can you try multiple times to cast a spell out of combat? What about binding spells? You may wish to state that characters are limited to one roll in a scene outside of when the scene is operating on a clock (combat, challenge encounter, etc.). Otherwise as stated once a scene starts by law of averages virtually any TN into at least the low 30s is attainable within a matter of minutes. This means that even Tier 1 characters will be able to get the +3 adaptation for Benediction of the Gods for example.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Casting Spells outside of Combat
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:39 pm 

Hat wrote:
Q&A p.4 - Q: Can you try multiple times to cast a spell out of combat? What about binding spells? You may wish to state that characters are limited to one roll in a scene outside of when the scene is operating on a clock (combat, challenge encounter, etc.). Otherwise as stated once a scene starts by law of averages virtually any TN into at least the low 30s is attainable within a matter of minutes. This means that even Tier 1 characters will be able to get the +3 adaptation for Benediction of the Gods for example.

the time between scenes are their own scene.. and thus are subject to the rules on page 346

Quote:
Casting a Binding spell is an especially taxing affair, thus any Hero may attempt to cast a single Binding spell per scene. If the hero wishes to even attempt to cast an additional Binding spell in the same scene, they may do so at the cost of 1 Fate point.

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:37 am 

Quote:
Q: Can you try multiple times to cast a spell out of combat? What about binding spells?

A: First that “time between combat “ is more like “time between scenes” just because you
won a combat does not end the scene... you may still have to search the room, question
prisoners, investigate a strange item and so on.
A Scene is not limited to combat while some very large battles may be split up in to several
scenes. You may cast as many spells as you want during a scene, with the exception of
binding spells, see the last paragraph of Binding Spells on page 346. You may only cast 1 binding
spell per scene; you may wish to cast an additional binding spell at the cost of 1 fate point. A failed attempt is still the casting of a spell... keep this in mind when being effected by counter spell.

I think this should be split into two questions, split the binding spell information off
Q: Can you try multiple times to cast a binding spell?
A: See the last paragraph of Binding Spells on page 346. You may only Attempt cast 1 binding spell per scene; you may wish to cast an additional binding spell at the cost of 1 fate point. A failed attempt is still the casting of a spell... keep this in mind when being effected by counter spell.

Q: Can you try multiple times to cast a spell out of combat?
A:Sure, but keep in mind that is probably a different scene for the purposes of duration. A Scene is not limited to a combat while some very large battles may be split up in to several scenes. You may cast as many spells as you want during a scene, with the exception of
binding spells.

Also there is no definition of Scene that I can find in ARPG, can anyone point it out to me?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:23 am 

Quote:
Q: Can you try multiple times to cast a binding spell?
A: See the last paragraph of Binding Spells on page 346. You may only Attempt cast 1 binding spell per scene; you may wish to cast an additional binding spell at the cost of 1 fate point. A failed attempt is still the casting of a spell... keep this in mind when being effected by counter spell.

Counter Spell does not count as a 'failure', therefore a second attempt should be made. Counter Spell was specifically clarified so as not to be a failure since that included other consequences.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:54 am 

Bump, this never actually changed in the Errata

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:32 am 

just added it..

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:35 pm 

Ok, I think one of my points got missed here.

New Scene (No combat or not yet)
Cast Heighten Senses over and over until get a 24 for the +2 including the strain this spell can be cast 10 times a minute.

Looks like there may be an obstacle. Use Benediction of the Gods, CTN 30 for a +3 to all Might and Damage Rolls. This can be cast 15 times a minute with no effect.

More problematic
Character receives a wound in combat and has Refresh the Body. Scene after Combat or at the end of the combat scene before moving on, casts it with the +9 CTN to cure a wound. Base TN 26, and can cast it 15 times in 2 minutes.

I have a character that has both Heighten Senses and Refresh the Body. I'm not sure he can even auto-cast the base spell at the moment and certainly couldn't a rank ago, but without a limitation on how frequently these spells can be cast when not operating under a clock, a GM might as well just hand wave the time it takes to get a max effect. Now once a combat starts and the clock's running if the character wants to cast it again, that's fine as there's a cost to doing so (the clock).

If that's intended that's fine, but that's not what I would have expected for the same reason that Binding Spells are limited.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:06 pm 

refresh the body:

well thats the way diminish fatigue works, why not? (and yes your right I have been hand waving that or giving people an arbitrary number of ticks to try cast it)

keep in mind is the judge that sets the scene boundaries, not the players, and for every new "scene" buffs have to be recast, if i wanted to be a dick about it, I'd make you roll until you succeed and then use the time limit of the slot against you, if the players didn't get super annoyed at you first.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:43 pm 

Josh,

If this is the intent that's fine. That wasn't the way I thought it worked and it has a significant impact on my character.

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:55 pm 

paul, the way scenes work or the way recasting spells works?

an interesting corollary

the rules could just require that all spells not cast during combat go off of the passive arcanum score of the caster.

the more i think about this... I REALLY like this idea

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next