Last visit was: It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: diminish senses
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:39 pm 

now that gaining a sense back through the use of a fate (ie doing the impossible) is no longer an option if you don't have a caster with the ability to cast restore, i do like the chance to get senses back, i am just unsure of the duration though, part of me thinks that it makes more sense to have it as something like 24 ticks, it gives it time to be very effective and yet not so bad as to completely shut someone down due to bad die rolls. i say 24 due to the fact that a single caster my only effect a given pc 1 time with this spell. and yes i know that there might be some table out there with multiple pcs that can cast this, thus meaning that a npc can be effected more then once if and when they are freed of it but that is their choice to sit at a table with a group of ppl with similar builds, they just remember that someday they will come across a group of npcs that can do the same thing. regardless of the fact i do like the idea of being able to free oneself from the spell, it sure beats the spell only lasting Dx number of ticks because a low roll would make the spell unless.
the other thing i'm unsure about is the bonus to discipline,the bonus is only contingent on there being multiple ppl that can cast this spell, while nice i think its not needed, especially since there are now ways other then casting the spell to be free of the effects. the spell is a great spell and all but it is and has been a spell of diminishing returns. just now the returns have the potential to diminish a bit faster no matter how many people you have that can cast it each person can only be effected that many times if and when they break free. since as it is proposed currently i get to roll every 6 ticks to get free ,then eventually it will happen and if not i can always use fate to add to the roll to make it happen. so ultimitly i think keeping the chance to break free is great, but i'm unsure as to duration and am against the idea of a defense bonus.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: diminish senses
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:48 pm 

In general, I like the concept of this change but have some concerns/questions.

Does the Mettle skill action roll take any time or is it a "free" skill roll?

I think every 6 ticks is probably a little often. It needs a way to break it but it needs to last long enough to be effective (and I'm not sure 6 ticks is long enough).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:03 pm 

Quote:
I think every 6 ticks is probably a little often. It needs a way to break it but it needs to last long enough to be effective (and I'm not sure 6 ticks is long enough).
that was kind of my thought, thus i recommended either 12 or 24 tick, still able to get out yet still long enough to make the effected person pay dearly

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:22 pm 

A cleaner idea if using Mettle.

"Affected targets may attempt to break free with a successful Complex Mettle (Re) Skill Action roll against the caster's passive Arcanum value..."

I thought about trivial or simple, but they can be combined with another action, or done separately (rending the duration pointless).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:29 pm 

That would be every 4 ticks but would take up his action to try breaking it. I thought about Demanding Mettle Skill Action but that seems a little much. Maybe Complex but not less than 6 (8?) ticks after the spell is first cast (guaranteeing at least some duration).

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:40 pm 

you know i look back at my reply and realize i miss read what i was replying to, if the spell is stays for whole scene then i think every 12 ticks the effected should get the roll to regain, that way just about everyone could get a crack at the guy before he breaks free thus being quite effective yet still allowing a chance to break free, alternatively maybe just have the spell last 12-24 ticks. everyone still gets a shot but then the spell is done and over with for that particular caster for that particular person, ultimately i do agree that 6 ticks may be a little fast for this particular spell

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:44 pm 

You also need to remember that they can't attempt it until their next clock as well. If timed right, the minimum duration could be over 12 ticks anyway (big Martial Technique attack of 6-10 ticks; Push effect of 2-4 ticks; then the Skill Action of 4 ticks).

Having it be for 'free' in the same situation can result in *no effect* to the target at all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:57 pm 

Quote:
You also need to remember that they can't attempt it until their next clock as well. If timed right, the minimum duration could be over 12 ticks anyway (big Martial Technique attack of 6-10 ticks; Push effect of 2-4 ticks; then the Skill Action of 4 ticks).

Having it be for 'free' in the same situation can result in *no effect* to the target at all.

maybe its just me but i'm kinda lost at what your getting at here

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:01 pm 

Example:
Tick 1: PC attacks (Spd: 5)
Tick 2: PC hit by Diminish Senses
Tick 3: PC hit by Push 2
Tick 7: PC makes 'free' Mettle skill check and removes effect
Tick 8: PC attacks again (having suffered no penalty).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:47 pm 

not true from the time the pc is hit with the spell he is suffering...
Quote:
milky film
that covers the eyes and causes Blindness; if Hearing, then the eardrums of the Target pop, causing Deafness; if Taste, then the Target’s taste buds dull until not even the spiciest of foods can be detected, etc.
so if eyes are effected the pc is blind which mean as per the core books
Quote:
Blinded characters grant a Tactical Edge to all opponents and all opponents are considered to have Total Concealment against that character.
the total concealment means that when the blinded pc attempts to attack he does so at a -6 while the attacking npc enjoys a +2 do to TE. in this case the npcs enjoy a bonus in one form or another for at least 6 ticks either to their defense if you are of the mind to add the 6 to the npc defense or if they are attacking they get the +2. or maybe i'm still missing what your getting at

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next