Last visit was: It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:10 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Sorcerer Priest Wand Clarification has broader implications
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:07 pm 

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:17 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
The current clarification says SPS is trained in Eldritch. This should either be changed to specifically add SPS to wand users, or a broader statement that says Eldritch always includes SPS to cover talents, paths, fighting styles, and everything else.

_________________
Matthew Jenkins
Owner Gemini Empress
aka Talen Drake
aka Kaylith Dracul val'Sungha, Templar of Sarish


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sorcerer Priest Wand Clarification has broader implicati
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:27 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:36 am
Posts: 1554
this seems to be an interesting interpretation, can you expand on what your saying?

_________________
--Josh Elliott
Oswald val'Inares V, The Seeker of the Val'Inares
Harvester Lord of the Eastern Fields of Iowa


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sorcerer Priest Wand Clarification has broader implicati
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:37 pm 

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:17 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
SamhainIA wrote:
this seems to be an interesting interpretation, can you expand on what your saying?


PG 7 of the FAQ under Magic Items:
Quote:
Question: Can Sarishan Sorcerer-Priests use Wands?
Answer: Yes as per the description (FiM v. I pg. 343)
Sarishan Sorcerer-Priests are trained in Eldritch magical
techniques
, as such they can use wands. Also due to their
unique nature, they can use magical Holy Symbols attuned
to their god as well.


and then again on PG 14 in the Errata
Quote:
Forged in
Magic vol.I
Page: 13 (Clarification)
Wands
At the end of the first paragraph change the last sentence
to the following:
Not all practitioners of magic make use of wands;
only those who practice elder, eldritch (including Sarishan
Sorcerer-Priests)
or primal magic make use of such items.


Right now as written it brings up more questions than it answers.

_________________
Matthew Jenkins
Owner Gemini Empress
aka Talen Drake
aka Kaylith Dracul val'Sungha, Templar of Sarish


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sorcerer Priest Wand Clarification has broader implicati
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:38 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:36 am
Posts: 1554
Quote:
Question: Can Sarishan Sorcerer-Priests use Wands?
Answer: Yes as per the description (FiM v. I pg. 343) Sarishan Sorcerer-Priests are trained in Eldritch magical techniques, as such they can use wands. Also due to their unique nature, they can use magical Holy Symbols attuned to their god as well.


Talent Drake, can you explain why you think this is wrong or how it doesn't cover what you asked for? I am failing to understand your point.

_________________
--Josh Elliott
Oswald val'Inares V, The Seeker of the Val'Inares
Harvester Lord of the Eastern Fields of Iowa


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sorcerer Priest Wand Clarification has broader implicati
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:42 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:47 am
Posts: 2491
Location: Central Alberta
In saying that the Sorcerer-Priests of Sarish use Eldritch (listed as a specific Magical Source), it completely runs against saying that Sorcerer-Priest of Sarish is its own source. As such, all SPS's MUST take Arcane Spell Casting: Eldritch for their powers and not this unique system they have. Knowing the story, the universe, and Sarishans, I understand what the Errata is TRYING to say, but to a casual reader the use of key words is confusing. As such, you should say that "As the traditions of the Sorcerer-Priest of Sarish are rooted in Eldritch Magic, they are also able to use Wands".

Basically, you cannot say that their magic is eldritch because that word means something very specific in the game which does NOT refer to them, which leads to confusion.

_________________
Cody Bergman
Legends of Arcanis Campaign Staff
Initial Author Contact/Adventure Vetting

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sorcerer Priest Wand Clarification has broader implicati
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:49 pm 

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:17 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Nierite wrote:
In saying that the Sorcerer-Priests of Sarish use Eldritch (listed as a specific Magical Source), it completely runs against saying that Sorcerer-Priest of Sarish is its own source. As such, all SPS's MUST take Arcane Spell Casting: Eldritch for their powers and not this unique system they have. Knowing the story, the universe, and Sarishans, I understand what the Errata is TRYING to say, but to a casual reader the use of key words is confusing. As such, you should say that "As the traditions of the Sorcerer-Priest of Sarish are rooted in Eldritch Magic, they are also able to use Wands".

Basically, you cannot say that their magic is eldritch because that word means something very specific in the game which does NOT refer to them, which leads to confusion.



Correct, either that or Pete is trying to say that SPS is equivalent to Eldritch. Which would mean they could qualify for Arcimous Mactos among other things.

_________________
Matthew Jenkins
Owner Gemini Empress
aka Talen Drake
aka Kaylith Dracul val'Sungha, Templar of Sarish


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sorcerer Priest Wand Clarification has broader implicati
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:00 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:36 am
Posts: 1554
so what you are saying is that this should be changed, let me go ahead and actually propose a wording change then (changes in purple to reflect the beneficence of sarish):

PG 7 of the FAQ under Magic Items:
Quote:
Question: Can Sarishan Sorcerer-Priests use Wands?
Answer: Yes as per the description (FiM v. I pg. 343)
Sarishan Sorcerer-Priests are trained in varied arcane and divine magical
techniques, as such they can use wands. Also due to their
unique nature, they can use magical Holy Symbols attuned
to their god as well.


and then again on PG 14 in the Errata
Quote:
Forged in
Magic vol.I
Page: 13 (Clarification)
Wands
At the end of the first paragraph change the last sentence
to the following:
Not all practitioners of magic make use of wands;
only those who practice elder, eldritch, Sorcerer-Priests of Sarish or primal magic make use of such items.

_________________
--Josh Elliott
Oswald val'Inares V, The Seeker of the Val'Inares
Harvester Lord of the Eastern Fields of Iowa


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sorcerer Priest Wand Clarification has broader implicati
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:02 pm 

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:17 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
SamhainIA wrote:
so what you are saying is that this should be changed, let me go ahead and actually propose a wording change then (changes in purple to reflect the beneficence of sarish):

PG 7 of the FAQ under Magic Items:
Quote:
Question: Can Sarishan Sorcerer-Priests use Wands?
Answer: Yes as per the description (FiM v. I pg. 343)
Sarishan Sorcerer-Priests are trained in varied arcane and divine magical
techniques, as such they can use wands. Also due to their
unique nature, they can use magical Holy Symbols attuned
to their god as well.


and then again on PG 14 in the Errata
Quote:
Forged in
Magic vol.I
Page: 13 (Clarification)
Wands
At the end of the first paragraph change the last sentence
to the following:
Not all practitioners of magic make use of wands;
only those who practice elder, eldritch, Sorcerer-Priests of Sarish or primal magic make use of such items.


Correct, either that or delete it and go to the heart of the issue with a broader Errata or FAQ along the lines of:

Quote:
For all purposes the source, Sorcerer-Priests of Sarish, counts as either Eldritch or Divine. Thus Arcane Spell Casting: Sorcerer-Priest of Sarish can be substituted for either Arcane Spell Casting: Eldritch or the Divine Spell Casting talent to meet the requirements for use of any magical item or meeting the requirements of any Talent, Path, Background, Fighting Style, or anything else we make up in the future.


I think either method works, but the current proposed errata does not.

_________________
Matthew Jenkins
Owner Gemini Empress
aka Talen Drake
aka Kaylith Dracul val'Sungha, Templar of Sarish


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sorcerer Priest Wand Clarification has broader implicati
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:13 pm 

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:36 am
Posts: 1554
yeah your proposed errata gives SPs a lot more access than they currently have. I'm pretty sure the errata only intended to give them access to to wands, not a bunch of other things.

_________________
--Josh Elliott
Oswald val'Inares V, The Seeker of the Val'Inares
Harvester Lord of the Eastern Fields of Iowa


Top
Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki