Last visit was: It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Martial Archetype Advancement - Possible Errata
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:00 pm 

So I was looking at the individual archetype advancements based on the discussion about the Divine Social one and was reminded that the Martial Archetype does not have an option to select a new skill at 2 ranks/tier. Arguably it would be Combat and Physical or one of those two.

Is this something that should be considered for errata or considered too extensive and really only should be posited for a new edition of the rules?

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Martial Archetype Advancement - Possible Errata
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:04 pm 

Only experts have that option and it should stay that way. All others can take the new skill at 1 / Tier.

Edit: I checked and was wrong :) the martial has the stamina boost though. So the expert had choose any 2 skills as opposed to any 1. I'd have no problem giving Martials the choice of any combat or physical.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:12 pm 

It would make some martial builds a lot easier to advance (and broader in ability).

I'm building a 'spartan' and the moment, and an issue I hit is needing *all* of the combat skills in one way or another. Having an option for 'new skill at 2 ranks/tier' would alleviate some of the non-combat sacrifices I'm making.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:25 pm 

Adaptable (ta)?

Haakon Marcus val'Virdan, Divine Holy Judge of Nier
Ruma val'Vasik, Martial Crusader and Master of the Spear
Jorma Osterman, Arcane Coryani Battlemage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:56 pm 

Adaptable (ta) doesn't give enough of a rank boost at the point it can be taken.

T1.1 = Polearms 4, Balanced 3, Thrown 2, others 1

T1.10 = Polearms 8, Balanced 6, Thrown 5, Others 2-4 range.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:34 pm 

There are 4 Melee Combat Skills, 3 Ranged Combat Skills, 2 Combat Skills, and 4 Physical Skills. (13 Total)

The Martial starts with 3 Combat Skills and Athletics (Physical). [NOTE: I still content that each Archetype should get 6 Skill Ranks]
Most Races gives 1 Combat skill
Region can give 1 Combat or Physical Skill
Background will likely give 3-4 Combat/Physical if the Martial chooses a military background.
The Adaptable Talent can give 2 more at rank 1 which can then be raised with any Advancement.
Then there's the last step with 6 Skills of any type.

I'm not sure why there aren't enough skill points to get the combat/physical skills needed to advance?

By the end of Character Generation, it should be possible for a purely Martial build to have 2-3 Combat Skills at 3, 2-3 Combat Skills at 2, 1-2 Physical Skills at 2-3, and 2-3 Combat/Physical Skills at 1.

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:03 pm 

Adaptable comes after skills at Step 9 for a Martial; making in not worth the Talent choice when I can pick the skills I want up during Step 8 at a lower opportunity cost.

6 Combat Talents and 5 LMT during T.1 make a big hole in the availability for 'sub-optimal' talents like Adaptable.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:20 pm 

What adaptable does is give you 2 additional Trained skills that you can raise with advancements.

John

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey