Last visit was: It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Learning Languages v2.3
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:30 pm 

Maybe I'm just a little slow, but I'm still slightly confused by this section:

Quote:
1) Race: A character gains all Automatic Languages listed in their racial entry, if the character only gains his national language, they only gain one language.
2) When you chose your Nationality you chose 1 native language, see table 2-6 for a list of native languages.

So lets say I'm playing a Human from the Hinterlands. Does the above mean that during Step 1 I pick one of my national languages, and then during Step 2 I pick a second national language? This seems contrary to my prior understanding of how the process worked.

If not, Step 1 should read:

1) Race: A character gains all Automatic Languages listed in their racial entry. If the race only lists 'Native Nation' under Automatic Language, you do not gain a language during this step.

aka Rurik - Nol Dappan War Priest (Divine 2.3)
aka Karthik - Tultipetan Stonemason (Expert 1.4)

Last edited by acurrier on Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Learning Languages v2.3
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:33 pm 

Yeah isnt it wonderful on how everyone had differnt thoughts on how these rules and now we are converging on one way to do it?

so yeah, the way the rule is written doesnt work the way you imagine, you would indeed get 2 national langage picks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:43 pm 

If you do gain a language during each step, I still think the wording should be adjusted to make it a little more clear. I would go with:

1) Race: A character gains all Automatic Languages listed in their racial entry. If the race lists 'Native Nation' under Automatic Language, choose two national languages during Step 2, instead of one. If your starting nation only lists one native language, you do not gain an additional language from this step.

2) When you choose your Hero's Nation, pick one native language. See Table 2-6 for a list of native languages.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:13 pm 

acurrier wrote:
If you do gain a language during each step, I still think the wording should be adjusted to make it a little more clear. I would go with:

1) Race: A character gains all Automatic Languages listed in their racial entry. If the race lists 'Native Nation' under Automatic Language, choose two national languages during Step 2, instead of one. If your starting nation only lists one native language, you do not gain an additional language from this step.

2) When you choose your Hero's Nation, pick one native language. See Table 2-6 for a list of native languages.

Ok.. done..

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:37 pm 

I'm sorry this new wording confuses me...

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:38 pm 

Really? What do you find confusing about it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:44 pm 

Quote:

Why do you choose 2 national languages if the race lists "Native Nation" under automatic languages?
Why would you even get to choose 1 National Language if your race doesn't list "national language"?
What is the 'additional language from this step' trying to say?

John

Kelb'Bakari Masalio, Dark-kin Altherian Corsair, Gentleman Archaeologist, and Wandering Bard
"The highest compliment an Altherian can pay you is to shoot you with his flintlock. It means you were worth the expense."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:50 pm 

Harliquinn wrote:
Why do you choose 2 national languages if the race lists "Native Nation" under automatic languages?
Why would you even get to choose 1 National Language if your race doesn't list "national language"?

John

Under the new rules, when 'Native Nation' is listed under a Race (Step 1), the PC gains a national language in addition to the language you get from choosing a nation (Step 2).

So if you were to play a Human from Almeric, you would get both national languages immediately (one from Step 1 and one from Step 2). Likewise a Human from the Hinterlands would automatically start with two national languages, but a Human from a nation with only one national language would only start with one (plus passive Logic of course).

Does that make sense?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:55 pm 

acurrier wrote:
Harliquinn wrote:

John

Under the new rules, when 'Native Nation' is listed under a Race (Step 1), the PC gains a national language in addition to the language you get from choosing a nation (Step 2).

So if you were to play a Human from Almeric, you would get both national languages immediately (one from Step 1 and one from Step 2). Likewise a Human from the Hinterlands would automatically start with two national languages, but a Human from a nation with only one national language would only start with one (plus passive Logic of course).

Does that make sense?

It is using race as a condition to determine how many you get from Nation. I so with this wording you only gain the explicitly stated languages at step 1 but it does determine if you get 1 or 2 from step 2.

Also if it hasn't been done yet ghost scale should probably say native nation as well. Currently they would get ignored by the rule as proposed.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:05 pm 

I think the confusing part is the deferring Race Languages to step 2 for some cases and not for others.

John

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey