Last visit was: It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Artisan Skill
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:49 am 

Hi all, new topic. Not much for combat, but here's something I've noticed about the Artisan Skill.

1. On page 143 of the Arcanis Core Rulebook, in the first paragraph of the Artisan skill, the specializations are listed as
Alchemy, Armorsmithing, Blacksmithing, Bower/Fletcher, Brewing, Forging Documents, Gunsmith, Leatherworking, Jewelry, Painting, Tailoring, and Weaponsmithing.

An in the COH on page 55, Alchemy and Materia Medica are both added.

On page 109 of the Arcanis Core Rulebook, in the skills for Tir Betoqi Dwarves, it lists Artisan: Glassblower.
On page 109 of the Arcanis Core Rulebook, in the skills for Tultipetan Dwarves, it lists Artisan: Stonemason.
On page 123 of the Arcanis Core Rulebook, in the skills list for the Pirate Isles, it lists Artisan: Boatwright. (Also mentioned on page 101 in the COH in the section about Boat, Colapsable.)
On page 123 of the Arcanis Core Rulebook, in the skills list for the Unsealed Lands, it lists Artisan: Traps.

Should these 4 specializations be added to the list of acceptable specializations on page 143 of the Arcanis Core Rulebook?

2. On page 109 of the Arcanis Core Rulebook, in the skills for Nol Doppan Dwarves, it lists Artisan: Armorer.

Should this be the Artisan: Armorsmithing skill?

3. Are there any other specializations that should be added to the list, like bookbinding, carpentry, cobbling cooking, pottery or locksmithing?

4. Can we get a comprehensive list of the approved specializations so that judges aren't calling for ones that aren't in the game that no one has and so that writers know which ones that can asks checks for. (I don't think is cool to ask for a Artisan: Carpentry check when it isn't an allowed choice.)

Thanks for considering.
Yours in Gaming,
David Bauder

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Artisan Skill
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:20 am 

you bring up some good points I will tackle on the next errata pass

there is one thing I should point out

Quote:
The list of specializations provided is not exhaustive. If you wish to create a new specialization, consult with your Chronicler.

in the living campaign I have a hero with Artisan: Vintner (being a Val’Dellenov from Cafela... just felt right) Yes I only have 1 rank it is (all from the old life, raised among the grapes.... ) and yes in a living campaign it may never.. ever come up..

but i a home game, if I knew one of my players had a rank in that skill.. I would make damn sure to give him a few moments to shine.

You do bring up some things that are clearly errata'abe but there is no way to create a comprehensive list of the approved specializations... maybe that's an option for the campaign guide, but I feel it may be beyond it's scope

Paradigm Concepts
Miami, Florida

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:12 pm 

I did actually see that part of the skill description. Sadly, it did more to create confusion that alliterative it. Who is my chronicler? I guess this is my attempt to contact him. (and a nicer chronicler I could not ask for, Pedro!) I bring up this point because of a concern I have. If, as you suggest, I can just make up crafts to fit my character concept, what's to stop someone from giving their character a craft: runesmithing, craft: poisions or craft: clockwork skill because it "fits the character"?

Not trying to be difficult, just giving some background as to why I ask the question.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:35 pm 

Artisan (Runesmithing) at least is obviously out. Runesmithing is covered in FiM2 (and it's far more involved than just an Artisan skill).

I don't think anyone would try to abuse Artisan in this way with things that are clearly far more powerful than a simple Artisan skill should be.

Eryk Bauer - Martial Awakened 1.2

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: james.zwiers, PCI Eric, PCI_StatMonkey